HelpAge International( www.helpage.org ) is the secretariat to the HelpAge Global Network, which brings together a wide range of organisations and individuals working to promote the rights and meet the needs of older women and men, nationally and/or internationally. At the core of this network, are civil society members, a group of civil society organisations working with older people around the world. These organisations share a vision of a world in which all older people are valued, and lead dignified, healthy and secure lives. HelpAge has been operating in Ethiopia since 1992 and has been involved on thematic sectors including social protection, health and wellbeing, humanitarian response, capacity building of partners and advocacy efforts.
Since 2014, HelpAge International has been responding to the needs of south Sudanese refugees’ influx with special focus on specific needs of older people and PWDs in Gambella region. Through the current humanitarian response project we expanded our reach to Benishangul Gumuz Region Assosa Refugee camps and added response to IDPs in the host communities of the region. The project will be implemented with full engagement of older people and other persons with specific needs and in close consultation and coordination with ARRA, UNHCR and other humanitarian actors involved in various sectors of refugee responses.
We are looking for motivated and self-driven individuals for the various positions in Gambella and Assosa (one). Read the below cross-cutting points applicable for all positions.
Our Values: Everyone who works at HelpAge share our values and are committed to behaviors that demonstrate and support them.
Inclusive We respect people, value diversity and are committed to equality
Impact We value and recognize the contribution of our staff and network members, as we put older people at the center of everything we do.
Partners We work with partners and network members & others to increase reach, influence and impact. We are committed to a culture of collaboration and building positive relationships.
Learning - We are passionate about learning, accountable and work together to find creative solutions
Please do not email any of your personal details (such as date of birth, marital status and religion or other characteristics).
Equal Opportunities: HelpAge International is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting, and providing equal opportunities and respecting diversity in employment. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation. We encourage and facilitate a flexible working environment.
Safeguarding: Everyone has a role in creating and sustaining a safe and respectful working environment, where no one comes to any harm or is maltreated. At HelpAge we take our responsibilities very seriously and will take action against wrongdoing. We will do everything we can to ensure that we do not engage people that pose a safeguarding risk and will undertake criminal record checks as required.
HelpAge International is an equal opportunity employer and we strive to be inclusive in our teams.
Grade : D
Responsible to: Gambella Pro gram C oordinator
Contract: One year, possibility of extension
As a Livelihoods Project Officer, the incumbent under the guidance of the Project coordinator based in Gambella field office is in charge of livelihoods component of HelpAge refugee response in the field with regard to proper planning, implementing, managing, ensuring technical qualities, coordinating and controlling the interventions to be implemented in Gambela & Assosa refugee camps. In relation to Livelihoods and food security, S/he will provide leadership, coordination, and technical support and build the capacity of Partner’s and older people groups, camp level technical assistants, social workers.
- Direct communication with the Emergencies team in Addis Ababa concerning routine updates of the project as well as challenges in the implementation process of the livelihood sector interventions;
- Close working relations with the HelpAge’s and partners’ Program and Finance teams as well as staff in the field;
- Frequent liaison with external audiences, in particular ARRA, UNHCR, technical task forces, NGOs, donors and other;
- Develop detail action plan and Ensure effective implementation of livelihood interventions of the project in line with the existing donor approved project document in collaboration with other the project staff and other stakeholders;
- Coordinate and lead older people mapping, beneficiary targeting and inclusive verification process for the livelihoods interventions;
- Promote participatory approaches, in his/her aiming to ensure inclusion of all most vulnerable groups including older people, children, women and Persons with disabilities throughout the project cycle and joint learning processes;
- Lead the selection and implementation of older people and disability friendly livelihoods strategies, implementation approaches and modalities;
- Monitor the humanitarian situation, vulnerabilities of older people to food insecurity and livelihood crisis and provide regular update on the situation and project implementation progress to the PC;
- Ensure strict adherence to humanitarian principles and guidelines in the development and implementation of all projects;
- Contribute to quality and compliance with donor reporting requirements and ensure that the Livelihood component is properly addressed in the overall donor reporting and communication with government and others as required
- Support timely and to the standard procurement of project material and delivery to support effective implementation of planned activities
- Ensure all project activities are implemented efficiently as per the available budget and donor requirement and identify challenges and constraints and suggest possible remedial actions including possible modifications required in the process of implementation to the program coordinator for approval by the Country team.
- Play active role in Gambella and camp level task force, coordination forums, joint rapid emergency assessments in order to raise awareness, share information and build partnerships in the sector;
- Support capacity building project staff, refugee community level stakeholders and Humanitarian actors for improved inclusion of older people in livelihoods and recovery interventions.
- Ensure regular field level monitoring of projects interventions, in collaboration with local stakeholders and project team in the field, tracking of project activities, effective utilisation of resources and documentation and reporting of accomplishments, lessons, risks and challenges as well as mitigation actions taken;
- Promote organisational learning by ensuring timely and quality information is collected and sharing with HelpAge, Partners and humanitarian community;
- BSc or BA/ MSc or MA in the field of Humanitarian response/disaster Risk management, agriculture, rural development, agricultural economics, livelihoods, with relevant experience; At least 3-5 years extensive experience in management of projects specifically related the specific area required. For MSC/ MA degree minimum of 3 years’ experience is required.
- Excellent analytical skills and able to solve complex problems quickly and effectively in the field;
- Extensive experience at least 4 years in managing livelihood projects/programmes at field level, with relevant experience at coordination and management level;
- Experience of working in refugee context and complex emergency situation in a difficult environment.
- Good time, project management and organization skills;
- Experience in working with marginalised most vulnerable groups such as women, older people, persons with disabilities, etc
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results, and able to work independently as required;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and preferably one of the local language in Gambella.
- Experience in design and implementation of emergency preparedness, livelihoods, WASH and food security, nutrition;
- Ability to work in partnership with other stakeholders within an agreed partnership framework;
- Good understanding of budgets and financial management and Working with local partners
How to Apply
Females are encouraged to apply.
- A covering letter outlining your suitability for the role, including your expected salary.
- An updated curriculum vitae (CV) not more than 4 pages, with a minimum of two referees, including your most recent line manager.
- Send your application by email to [email protected] before the closing date. Indicate the vacancy reference No. and the post you are applying in subject line of your mail .