For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
Médecins du Monde France has been operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response. Currently, the regional focus is on Afar Region together with Somali Region.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The logistics department of the mission is under restructuring with work to do in reinforcing the implementation of the logistics tools across the mission and the mission sites. The mission is also entering a phase in which it will have to work on budgets for new proposals, follow up on new challenging grants in addition to existing grants, and to reinforce procurement plans to go along side these programmes.
Under the supervision of the deputy general coordinator, you are in charged of developing and supporting the implementation of the tools, processes, and developing the capacity of the logistics teams in each area of operation.
You manage directly the Addis Abeba logistics team and give technical support and training to the logistic coordinator and logistics teams in all mission’s bases.
Your main responsibilities are:
- Provide day to day support on the good understanding as well as the quality of MdM tools, the respect of procedures, the reporting and team management
- Review and implement all MdM logistics pack tools related to fleet and premises management in Addis Abeba coordination base and in all field bases
- Improve the use of online file sharing systems
- Provide input on logistics matters to the coordination team for budgeting
- Ensure the good communication between logistics teams and with other teams in MdM Ethiopia mission
- Provide strategic inputs for the development of MdM Ethiopia’s logistic’s planning and processes
- Perform the role of technical adviser to the programme teams
- Follow up on the development of procurement plans with programme, finance and logistics inputs
- Responsible for the appropriate selection and installation, use and maintenance of equipment across the following technical disciplines: IT, communications, mechanics, energy & electricity, cold chain etc.
Procurement & supply chain
- Be in charge of implementation, follow up and respect of MdM and donors’ procurement procedures
- Ensure active monitoring of the purchasing process by the base logistics teams
- Ensure that the filing system to record and archive all procurement is rigorously maintained
- Ensure the existence and maintenance of a supplier database and develop robust local supplier relationships at national level
- Ensure systems mitigate risks from corruption and insecurity
- Advise logistics teams and coordination unit on effective logistics procedures
- Follow up on asset and stock registry
- Ensure sufficient IT infrastructure in the mission
- Manage national level purchase files
Team management and capacity building
- Train and mentor the national roving country logistics coordinator
- Responsible for the line management of specified logistics staff in accordance with HR policies and procedures, including recruitment and performance management
- Create and follow up on individual training plans for all logistics staff
- Ensure standard coordination of the logistics teams
- Spend at least 50% of the time visiting field bases to conduct training and routine monitoring activities of the logistics department
- Conduct a procurement files audit to uphold the respect of procurement procedures for acquisition of medical and non-medical supplies and provide the mission with strategic recommendations for corrective measures
- Assist the deputy general coordinator in the set up and monitoring of routine communication lines and reporting schedules with the base teams
- Advise the deputy general coordinator on relevant strategies for managing supply and premises in the Ethiopian context
- Assist the deputy genral coordinator and field logistics focal points in the development of procurement plans
- Participate in development, review, implementation and monitoring of MdM’s security measures in-country
- Advise the deputy general coordinator on security procedures and rules to be implemented in Ethiopia
- Train the logistics coordinator to evaluate and ensure the safety of offices and guesthouses
- Train the logistics coordinator to compile all security incidents in MdM area of intervention and fill the security incident follow up
- Attend interagency and security meetings at the request of the deputy general coordiantor
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Duration : 4 months
Starting date ASAP
Gross monthly salary 2 845 euros
Based in Addis Abeba with 50% on the field
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by Modem and 40% by the employee)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
At least 3 years of humanitarian experience in emergency contexts
At least 3 years of experience in logistics with a NGO
Experience in procurement, supply chain management, fleet and premises management
Experience in security assessment and management
Ability to work quickly, under pressure and with short deadlines
Must demonstrate flexibility to adapt to changing requirements
Experience in capacity building and trainings
An asset: rehabilitation/construction experience, logistics practice with a health organisation, 1 year with MdM as a logistics specialist and strong knowledge of MdM procurement procedures
Excellent communication skills, listening and diplomacy skills
Pedagogy and organizational skills
Good writing and communication skills
Language: fluent in English mandatory
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.