FH Ethiopia is a non-governmental organization engaged in relief and development activities. At FH, we operate under a set of guiding principles we call the “The Heartbeat”. This includes our Values, Vision and Purpose, which serve as the explanation of who we are and how we work as organization. Together we follow God’s call responding to human suffering and graduating communities from extreme poverty. FH Ethiopia would like to invite potential candidates to apply for the following position:
Position: Maintenance Assistant & Generator Operator
Duration of Contract: One-year contract, renewable (with 60 working days Probation)
Responsible to provide repair and maintenance services for the electric generator sets and general maintenance and repair office furniture, equipment, fixture, water system, telephone system, electric system, and sewerage system.
ESSENTIAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Key Result #1 – Electric Generator Operation
- Schedule of preventive maintenance activities for the diesel generator visual inspection and checkups, general cleaning of the generator sets, check the condition and tension of the fan driving belts, check engine oil, coolant and fuel level, top up if necessary, check all hoses for 100se connection and deterioration, check generator breaker for proper operation, check battery condition, top up and if required change it, check Viking terminals for any loose and cut or load and check phase load in current voltage.
· Check any excessive noise on bearings.
· Check oil pressure at the gauge.
· Check and adjust phase voltage for any imbalance.
· Check and observe generator set. Sound vibration and temperature conditions.
· Check for any leakages, loose bolts, anchors and covers, adjust if required.
· Check fuel and oil filter conditions, replace if necessary.
· Advise and initiate the change of air, fuel and oil filters and engine oil.
· Check all protective devices for any malfunction.
· Check mains and generator contactors and cable for any abnormal condition.
· Check and inspect ATS condition for auto/stop operation system.
· Conducts for any necessary replacement of spare parts and do the replacements.
- Repair- To mend damaged and broken or torn parts of generators' maintenance. The act of keeping generators in good condition by checking and repairing of changing parts regularly and/or reactively as the need arises.
Key Result #2 – General maintenance and repair
General maintenance and repair office furniture, equipment, fixture, water system, telephone system, electric system, and sewerage system etc. including expats residence, typically do the following:
· Repair furniture and fixture
· Fix or replace faulty electrical switches, outlets, and circuit breakers
· Inspect and diagnose problems and figure out the best way to correct them
· Perform routine preventive maintenance to ensure that equipment continue to run smoothly
· Do general cleaning and upkeep of properties
· may fix or paint windows, doors, floors, woodwork, walls, and other minor maintenances
· Maintain and repair equipment in cafeterias, stores, offices, etc.
· Use common hand and power tools, such as screwdrivers, saws, drills, wrenches, and hammers to fix, replace, or repair equipment and parts of buildings.
· Where applicable, may provide expat residences by responding to maintenance issues in rooms, compounds, and bathrooms.
Key Result #3 – Others
· Performs a wide variety of semi-skilled and skilled work in support of all system installation, inspection, preventive and corrective maintenance and repair activities; performs wastewater line inspection and hydro cleaning of lines; inspects and performs preventive maintenance; and performs related work as required
Job Level Specifications
Ø Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ and Christian commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian foundation and beliefs as expressed in The Heartbeat: our Values, Vision, and Purpose.
Ø Basic proficiency in computer and other office equipment.
Ø Ability to communicate with organization members.
Ø Physical fitness to operate in a construction and maintained environment.
Ø Requires general mechanical and electrical ability, which includes skills in the use of electrical test equipment, small hand and power tools, mechanical equipment and materials applicable to the plumbing.
Ø Ability to attend emergency requests at any time.
Food for the Hungry is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for all beneficiaries it serves. It is FH's policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that prevents and deters any actions and omissions that put any beneficiaries, including children and the most vulnerable at risk. All personnel are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy could result in termination.
Ø Be aware of the stereotypes about women’s and men’s capacities, and discuss how they influence staff, in assigning responsibility, and in managing resources at unit and organization level.
Ø Be familiar with the local Gender Focal Point(s), and go to her/him to learn more about gender issues, or when there is a gender grievance or harassment issue to resolve
Ø Refrain from any comments or gestures that indicate prejudicial views of female staff, especially female supervisors.
Ø In each Project and Head Office, ask women staff what changes would make it more “gender-friendly”, organization and implement the recommendations
Safety & Security Responsibility
Ø Each FHE staff member should adhere to all pertinent policies concerning safety and security policy of FH. Lapses in safe conduct can jeopardize the health and welfare of all staff.
Ø Every FHE staff member has an obligation to learn and understand the security situation where they are located.
Ø Each FHE staff member should adhere to all pertinent policies concerning safety and security. This includes, but not limited to, personal safety, road safety, etc.
- Education/Certifications : Vocational/Technical school graduate in an electrical plumbing field is preferred. Alternatively, a combination of extensive experience.
- Experience : At least five (5) years’ experience in a similar position preferably in an International NGO setting.
- Language : Good command of the Amharic & English languages required, both written and spoken;
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Competent candidates can submit ONLY their application and updated CV to: [email protected]
Candidates MUST refer the position title on the subject line of their email and application.