In September 2019, after one year at a temporary school site, Pharo School will be opening its newly completed Grade 9-12 boarding school for female students in Asura, Homosha Woreda, Benishangual-Gumuz region. Fully funded by the Pharo Foundation, Pharo School Homosha campus is situated on 3 hectares of land and is made up of eight new buildings that include Administration, Classrooms, Library, Hall, Cafeteria, Student Dormitory and playing fields. Providing a relaxed and comfortable teaching, learning and living environment.
Pharo School Homosha is dedicated in its commitment to provide high quality education, along with ensuring its students are developing outstanding English speaking, writing and comprehension skills. This current academic year will be comprised of newly admitted Grade 9 students and returning Grade 10 students, with a total school population of approximately 120 students.
We are seeking passionate teachers, who thoroughly enjoy teaching, excel in their ability to reach and support students and take endless pride and countless hours to design inspiring and engaging lesson plans and teaching units.
We seek compassionate, hardworking and resilient individuals capable of dealing with many of the unforeseen challenges that occur in a school’s first year of operation in a new location,.We seek individuals who work well with others and would enjoy living at the Pharo School Homosha campus, in very clean and modern living accommodations.
As a boarding school, teaching life extends well beyond time spent with students in a classroom. Tutorials, clubs, study hall supervision, field trips and ongoing engaging school wide activities also form part of a teacher’s responsibilities. Working at a boarding school requires a genuine commitment to serve as a role model and be an active part of the community. The reward is a tremendous sense of accomplishment, professional and personal growth, a highly competitive salary, provided accommodations and a supportive community environment.
Role and Responsibilities
Pharo School Teachers are responsible for:
- Working in close collaboration with the Headmistress and Senior Academic Staff to design & provide lessons and learning opportunities that are engaging, show a depth of teacher subject competence and allow students to develop and demonstrate critical subject skills and knowledge
- Regularly monitoring and tracking each student’s development and providing the necessary support to ensure academic excellence & overall development
- Regularly monitoring in class discipline and providing counselling & support by working together with school leadership, other teachers & school medical staff
- Actively participating & deliver tutorials, co-curricular activities and other activities conducted in a boarding school environment and stipulated by Ministry of Education
- Actively participating in the school’s boarding program
- Supporting the recruitment process of female students from BGRS region
- Actively participating and deliver tutorial
We seek teachers who:
- Have, at minimum, a Bachelor Degree in subject teaching area of Mathematics, English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography, Civics and HPE and Remedial support (or related). A Masters degree is preferred.
- Have a Bachelor of Education degree or Post Graduate Teaching Diploma in addition to undergraduate/graduate degree
- Have a minimum 2.75 CGPA for first degree applicants
- Have a minimum of 3 years teaching experience at the secondary school level
Knowledge & Skills
We require teachers who are:
- Fluent in English and can competently conduct all classroom instruction in English
- Fluent in Amharic
- Professionally ethical, honest and willing to serve as outstanding role model in the community
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Email usage, Google Suite, internet searching and willing to learn new computer skills
- Able to demonstrate learner-centred teaching methodologies and are eager to continue to learn
- Experienced working in schools with a mission for academic excellence and student engagement
- Willing to embrace and adhere to the Pharo Foundation/Pharo School’s requirements, values & mission
- Active team players and problem solvers
- Outstanding communicators and have strong interpersonal skills
- Committed and passionate to teaching and highly motivated towards student development and growth
- Willing to teach and support students after hours and on weekends
- Curious and confident to embrace working in a new organization with local and international staff
Salary and Benefits
- The salary and benefits package is competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Accommodation and meals (while school is in session) are provided.
How to Apply
This position is open to male and female applicants, with female applicants being strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants must demonstrate proof of eligibility to work in Ethiopia.
How to Apply
All applicants must submit as part of the application process, a PDF or Word file of a recent lesson plan or unit plan that he/she created and represents their best teaching work. The lesson/unit plan should highlight the applicant’s strengths as a teacher and be accompanied with a short explanation (maximum 300 words) of why this lesson/unit plan was selected and submitted.
Interested applicants who fulfil the job posting requirements can send their complete application packages to The Pharo School, via email@example.com . Please type the teaching position you are applying for in the email subject line.
A complete application package contains:
- Lesson/unit plan with short explanation
- A one-page list of four references with current addresses, phone numbers, SKYPE and email contacts
Review of complete application packages will begin as soon as they are received. Incomplete application packages will not be reviewed. In the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process we reserve the right to appoint before the deadline. For this reason, we encourage interested applicants to apply at the earliest possible time. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to contact selected, short listed candidates.