Who we are
We are Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non?profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing. We are a $560m enterprise based in Washington, DC, operating in the private and public sectors in more than 65 countries.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI/Ethiopia wants to reimagine healthcare, put the consumer at the center, and whenever possible, bring quality care to the front door. We achieve health impact in Ethiopia by working with both government and private partners and harvesting technology innovation to bring quality care closer to communities, schools, and homes. We empower consumers by including them in the design of healthcare solutions, offering them more healthcare choices, and helping them to have a voice in influencing national priorities. We work with all market actors in the health system to understand their needs, designing and delivering solutions so that market systems can sustainably serve consumers for the long term, helping to support the Government of Ethiopia in achieving Universal Health Coverage.
P urpose of the Job: A Monitoring & Evaluation Advisor seconded at the FMOH intends to provide M&E Technical support to the MCH directorate and closely work with the PPMED team. She/he will support the RISE MEL system through Technical Assistant to MOH with the design of RISE MEL training schemes and as the project is a scale-up and Government system strengthening; identifying data elements that will come through the government DHIS2 and e-CHIS, influence the incorporation of RISE metrics within the government system at a different level including joint supportive supervision checklists and design dashboards to properly track both scale-up and system influence components of the program at each level is highly required. The M&E Advisor will be responsible to provide capacity building on RISE MEL training & supporting on the cascading process of Gov’t M&E tools/systems and digitalization (e CHIS, e HMIS/DHIS 2), provide technical support on data quality, conduct regular joint data quality assessment, Facilitate Joint supportive supervision, Performance Review meetings and Joint work planning. Jointly facilitate the development and use of data to action framework with MOH concerned directorate and actively support to enhance information use for programmatic evidence-based decision-making. Primarily responsible for RISE data access at MOH and data sharing to PSI/E through regular data generation from MOH DHIS 2 system, doing periodic data analysis for program learnings to improve program quality and performance. Work on knowledge management through documentation of evidence-based learnings/practices and disseminate to respective gov’t stakeholders at MOH and PSI and sharing periodic MOH & donor reporting for M&E related activities of the program.
Key Result Areas:
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Data Quality and Data use
- Capacity building
- Coaching and supervision
- Reporting & Documentation
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the design of RISE MEL training schemes with MEL manager and the MOH staff at a different level, through joint designing and delivering of TOT; so that the data system training will be cascaded effectively and efficiently.
- Jointly support the cascading, coaching, and mentoring plan of the RISE tailored data need and e CHIS/HMIS/DHIS 2 training for effective system strengthening and technical assistance including coaching and mentoring at the facility level to strengthen Family Folders and Tickler Box System for 15-19 Girls reached with smart start counseling and contraception.
- Facilitating joint planning & review meetings, joint Supportive Supervision, and Data quality assessments of the RISE program with MOH concerned directorates.
- Jointly facilitate with MEL Manager for Regular Data to Action (D2A) review with PSI/E and MOH concerned directorate for performance review and enhance programmatic data use for decision making.
- Jointly Support the institutionalization of RISE Metrics within MOH and closely work with PSI/E MEL Manager & PPMED team to make sure that overall RISE MEL demand is in a good position and get attention at different platforms.
- Ensure the quality of the training delivered at a different level is rolled out based on the agreed standard in close collaboration with the MOH staff at different levels.
- Support on the tracking process for the cost of training and other TA support so that the data will be regularly analyzed to work towards cost optimization and return on investment for the Gov’t System strengthening and sustainability.
- Responsible for RISE Data Access at MOH and Data sharing to PSI/E through regular data generation from MOH DHIS 2 system, doing periodic data analysis and disseminate for respective gov’t stakeholders at MOH.
- Provide technical support and inputs to MCH directorate at FMoH in the development of monitoring tools and guidelines and joint supportive supervision checklists
- Make sure to include RISE discussion agenda/Indicators as part MOH Joint Review Meetings (JRM)
- Provide substantive technical advice to the MCH Directorate, this may include preparation of periodic reports or inputs into reports, attending performance review meetings, preparing summary reports/briefs on meetings, perform programmatic analysis and projections, summaries, and special reports and dissemination of results.
- Work with concerned staff on knowledge management through conducting data mining to generate knowledge from routine program data, capture learnings, after-action reviews, documentation and dissemination of technical briefs, reports, and other program documentation products as needed.
- Support the deployment & correct utilization of electronic data capture systems and protocols such as DHIS2 within the MCH department.
- Closely work with MCH, PPMED & other concerned directorates and partners for RISE M&E related collaboration, coordination, partnership, and support
- Support in documentation and dissemination of best practices related to adolescents and youth health programming
- Engage in the customization and designing process of Adolescents and youth health training material development including e-learning format
- Support in planning, execution, and implementation of AYH program activities with adolescents and youth health care team
- Support in report writing, compilation, and dissemination processes of the MCH directorate in general and AYH case team in particular
- Provide technical support on the development and revision of adolescents and youth health strategies, job aids, and guidelines
- Support the COVID -19 response and implementation of a mitigation plan on adolescents and youth health
- Collect, analyses, and share national-level information to working groups as required
- Engage in national adolescents and youth health ad-hoc meetings
- Conduct any other tasks as assigned by the director and case team lead
What it takes to succeed
- Knowledge on the context: In-depth knowledge and experience of working with the MOH Health Information System – HMIS,/DHIS 2 and e-CHIS system and Information Revolution
- A self-starter: You have the ability to work independently with minimal supervision; you are someone who is proactive in looking for new opportunities;
- Consistent and determined: generating credible, accurate, and timely data using the existing government system will be challenging until the team at different levels buys-in the objectives of RISE. Someone who is determined and always looks at the bigger picture regardless of the challenges on the daily basis is needed.
- E ag er and Passionate to serve young people: RISE is for and with the young people in general and married adolescent girls/couples in particular. The evidence you will be working with is the voices of the young people.
- Communicator: who has excellent interpersonal and written communication skill; able to analyze and present data in a way it is easy to understand to different audiences.
- Evidence-based decision Maker: capable to interpret both qualitative and quantitative data, transform it into compelling communication material to influence both mindsets and skillsets as a system is all about infrastructure as well as people.
- Flexible: who is capable to see other alternatives when trail/attempts fail; someone with strong conviction that
- CHANGE is possible!
Y our background:
What are we looking for? The basics
Master’s degree in Public Health, Statistics, Population Studies, Economics, or related fields with Six (6) years of demonstrated M&E experience in the Ethiopian Primary Health Care system.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Statistics, Population Studies, Economics, or related fields with Eight (8) years of demonstrated M&E experience in the Ethiopian Primary Health Care System.
- Well versed in MOH’s Health Information System (its current status; the road map, opportunities as well as challenges)
What would get us excited?
- Experience on M & E of adolescents and youth-focused SRH programs.
- Experience in conducting training on MEL systems and procedures particularly of MOH’s.
- Knowledge of Ethiopian heath sector transformation plan (HSTP), Information Revolution, Health Information System, and national level policies, guidelines, and standards on FP/RH.
- Proven capacity to oversee development/implementation of work plans, monitoring and evaluation activities, and reports
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience of DHIS2 system previous experience or knowledge with mobile data collection tools such as Open Data Kit (ODK).
- Able to work within a very innovative and dynamic type of program.
- Computer and data management skills using different statistical software’s;
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis methodologies required.
- Experience of working with different partners & gov’t health system
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good team spirit.
- Team player who takes initiative, problem-solving mentality; good at multi-tasking; demonstrated flexibility;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Amharic/other local languages.
- Willingness to travel up to 30-40% of the time away from the base location.
- Ability to follow deadlines, accuracy, and attention to detail without compromising quality.
How to Apply
Are you intrigued? Apply!
By following our 3 steps application process:
- Fill out the application form using the following link: Online Application Form It will only take 5 to 10 minutes.
- Send your CV and application letter to [email protected] clearly mark “ Application for M&E Advisor –Seconded to FMOH Position ” in the subject line.
- Check your email and make sure you receive an automatic response acknowledging receipt of your application which means your application was successful. If you do not receive the automatic response, check again your subject line and if needed, re-submit your CV and application letter with the correct subject.
The application deadline October 1, 2020 We will call or e-mail you back if there is a good fit on both sides.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability.