Position: Monitoring & Evaluation and Collaborating, Learning and Adapting Lead
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Summary: Save the Children is seeking a Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) and Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) Lead for an anticipated 5- year USAID-funded (name) program in Ethiopia. The Highland Resilience Activity will support the graduation of Productive Safety Net Program (PSNP) clients by linking them with new on-farm, off-farm, and employment opportunities. The Activity will have a strong focus on improving access to finance for vulnerable highlands households and will be integrated into USAID’s Resilience Food Security Activities (RFSAs) in five regions of Ethiopia.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (M&E/CLA) Lead will serve as the focal point for strategy development, evaluation and research, and program learning in support of HRA efforts to provide quality interventions, increase HRA commitment and capacity in programming, and generate evidence, innovation, and learning for all HRA project components. Working under the supervision of the Chief of Party (COP) and the DCOP, the M&E/CLA Lead will provide technical leadership, oversight, and strategic direction for monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities for HRA in Ethiopia. She will oversee the monitoring, evaluation and learning components of this award.
She/hewill develop, implement, and continuously improves Monitoring and Evaluation systems for all project activities. She/he will incorporate best practices to ensure information collected is accurate, timely and disseminated appropriately in high quality reports. The M&E/ CLA Lead will use these findings to improve the program and achieve the objectives. She/he will also be actively involved in promoting learning through documentation of lessons learned, and developing approaches for community analysis and using data for making decision.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Supervise and manage the project team to design and implement project M&E and CLA activities, ensuring that lessons learned are integrated into project implementation to continuously improve quality of interventions and outcomes.
- Lead the team to develop and implement the project Performance Monitoring Plan (PMP) in coordination with the COP and the DCOP, the project team, local stakeholders, to capture project performance and results, including routine service delivery data reporting, baseline and end-line assessments, and all monitoring for process and outcome evaluations.
- Develop and oversee data flow pattern for the project that will ensure timely data collection and reporting
- Use evidence from multiple sources to contribute towards strategic decision-making and project planning.
- Support strategic collaboration activities with key stakeholders to learn from evidence generated by the project and adapt interventions as appropriate. * Lead development of innovative ways of improving data collection and data entry at all levels (
- Responsible for documenting and disseminating project successes and challenges to USAID.
- Provide leadership, training and mentoring to develop M&E Plans, M&E tools, survey design, methodology, and data analysis to assess program impact;
- Develop systems for capturing and documenting data and relevant information on project activities, beneficiaries, outputs, outcomes, and impact;
- Design methodology and coordinate research activities for project operations and assessments;
- Effectively rollout M&E collection and reporting systems to all staff and partners through training, site visits, manuals, and other technical support as needed;
- Capture appropriate cost and financial information to track money indicators, including benchmarking information to analyze program effectiveness and cost effective inputs;
- Ensure programming is aligned to targets and indicators contained in project proposal, and use the information from the M&E systems and tools to improve the program effectiveness;
- Support all project reviews and evaluation activities, including coordinating mid-term and final evaluations, and supporting donor and external reviews;
- Provide on-going support to maintain M&E systems; identify skill gaps and build capacity among project team;
Prepare high quality, accurate and timely reports for Save the Children, project partners and donors as required
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice )
Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds suppliers accountable to deliver on their responsibilities
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and takes responsibility for their own personal development
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
Cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
- Displays consistent excellent judgement
- Advanced degree orMaster’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Social Science or related field is required;
- Minimum seven years of work experience in monitoring and evaluating large, multiyear international development projects, with strong preference for candidates with deep understanding of the Ethiopian context.
- Familiarity with Ethiopia’s management information system,
- Advanced training in quantitative methodologies, including database management; experience in qualitative research techniques;
- Minimum (7)five years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation related to: Market Systems development, Access to Finance, Agriculture & Climate Change and/or Livelihoods;
- Strong analytical skills and an understanding of monitoring, evaluation and assessment tools to promote evidence-based learning;
- Ability to analyze complex data and summarize it for a range of audiences;
- Ability to gain support from staff across teams and to build the capacity of others;
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work plans and evaluate progress;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of local language preferred;
- Prior M&E and/or CLA work experience in Ethiopia..Familiarity with the political, social, and cultural context of Ethiopia.
Prior experience as a M&E/CLA Lead for USG programs;
- Familiarity with USG-funded Resilience and Food Security Activities and/or the Government of Ethiopia’s Productive Safety Net Program
- Familiarity with the political, social and cultural context of Ethiopia.
- Experience working in fragile contexts including those affected by conflict, natural disasters and other political/socio-economic stressors
- Experience working with private sector partners engaging in collaborative, value shared relationships for sustainable development
- Experience working with vulnerable populations in particular ultra-poor, women, youth and migrant populations
- Knowledge of local language preferred
- Child Rights: Promotes an enabling environment for participation, and accountability to children
- Be the Innovator: Promotes innovation to find new and better approaches to driving progress for children
Deliver Results at Scale: Promotes a clear focus on impact in a project and programme design, management, and oversight
- Being the Voice of Children: Promotes evidence-based policy and public engagement that includes the voices of children and their communities
- Advancing Equality & Inclusion: Displays a commitment to ensuring everything we do considers the most deprived and marginalised children and adolescent
- Building & Strengthening Partnerships: Promotes working with diverse partners as critical to delivery
Child Rights: Promotes the rights of children in own work and in work with colleagues and peers,
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI’s global Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Gender Equality Policies, supported by relevant procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SC Health and Safety policies and procedures.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector. The duty station of the position holder will be in Addis Ababa This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions only.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
* No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
* All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
* Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued