This consultant position is open for Ethiopian Nationals only. The position is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Purpose and Objectives:
The Ethiopian Disaster Risk Management Commission (EDRMC) is mandated to lead Ethiopia’s Disaster Risk Management work in the country. The commission in collaboration with its partner had developed the “DRM Strategic Plan and Investment Framework (DRM-SPIF)” approved by the Federal Government in 2013. Accordingly, the National DRM mainstreaming guideline was developed and launched in 2018. Guided by the strategy and guideline, the EDRMC has embarked on an initiative to mainstream disaster risk management across all line ministries as well as regional states. The EDRMC is currently in the process of finalizing its policy reform agenda and a 10-years strategic plan taking into consideration the complex humanitarian situations, risk management dynamics, and global system change. As part of the enhancement of logistics, warehouse and commodity system and its operationalization at various levels, a virtual working platform that integrates the logistics, warehouse and commodity management system and Emergency Coordination Centers (ECCs) is being implemented in close collaboration with EDRMC Directorates and stakeholder organizations for effective preparedness and response.
EDRMC in partnership with the Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC)  , is currently implementing a program namely “Improving Coordination Capacity for Preparedness and Emergency Response in Ethiopia (ETCOR)” with funding support from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (the Foundation). The program aims to improve the institutional capacity of EDRMC and key sectoral ministries including Agriculture and Health by enhancing systems, capacity, and coordination mechanisms for preparedness and response, and improving information and knowledge management system.
Initially, the program will focus on supporting the relevant Government institutions in the effective coordination of emergency relief, humanitarian coordination, emergency preparedness, and early recovery in the conflict-affected areas in Northern Ethiopia and other vulnerable regions where the respective sectoral stakeholders are involved. The medium- to long-term focus will be on enhancing the inter-and intra-sectoral coordination capacity of the Government system for overall preparedness and emergency response in Ethiopia through technical and leadership capacity development support to the relevant agencies within the framework of Ethiopia National DRM policy and implementation strategy.
The program is looking to recruit a qualified consultant as the MIS Expert on Logistics to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The consultant will be responsible for leading the implementation of identified activities in this ToR. The key objectives of the position include:
- To provide technical assistance to respective EDRMC Directorates and Units for development of the integrated system and tools for harmonization and automation of warehouses, logistics, Commodity Allocation and Tracking (CAT) system, and information management system aligned with the existing system.
- To provide support and capacity building for the regional warehouses, logistics and commodity management at national and regional levels on automated logistics and commodity management system application and integration of the system at various levels.
- To strengthen the linkage of the Food Management Improvement Project in the Commodity Allocation and Management System of CAT and Commodity Management Procedural Manual (CMPM).
- To laise and provide technical assistance on the production of reports for stock of food and non-food items, allocation, dispatch, and delivery along with the eight warehouse operations.
- To assess the IT capacity of Logistics sector and provide feasible recommendations for improvement.
- To support the logistic operations of the two major programs of EDRMC on emergency and social safety net, and advise a distinct reporting systems on resource and response operations.
As part of the Program Management Unit (PMU), the MIS Expert on Logistics would be based in EDRMC under Deputy Commissioner for Logistics and provide technical assistance mainly for the logistics directorate and in coordination with other directorates, ECC’s and regional team including:
- Technical assistance for harmonization and automation of the National logistics, Food Management Improvement Project, warehouse and commodity management and tracking of CATS and CMPM system.
- Strengthening and development of tools for data collection and analysis, and generating automated logistics and commodity management information and dissemination for effective preparedness and response.
- Strengthening the logistics, warehouse and commodity management coordination within EDRMC and among government sectors, humanitarian actors, and the community.
- Technical support and capacity building on logistics, warehouse and commodity management and ICT system application through an automated system and virtual platform for effective preparedness and response.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Technical assistance for harmonization and automation of the logistics, warehouse and commodity management system, development of tools for data collection, Analysis & generating automated logistics and commodity management information.
- Upload regularily the logistics information, warehouse and commodity management knowledge products, policy documents, plans, emergencies, and alerts, events reports, program documents, audio visuals, maps application software.
- Support to organize and document on National logistics regular meetings, emergencies up-to-date information and specify gaps and unmet requirements, compile and generate report for decision makers.
- Leads the development of effective and up-to-date scientific approaches and methods for information gathering, analysis, generate logistics and commodity managment related alerts and messages on a timely basis.
- Monitor, analyze and report on logistics and commodity management for humanitarian response and developments, disaster relief and management programs, or emergencies in the country.
- Lead and participate in working groups related to logistics, warehouse and commodity information management, prepare progress updates, information products, identify the end users, prepare and upload the information on the web portal for all users.
- Conduct capacity assessment and gaps analysis, plan and facilitate tailored training and workshops for various users in virtual or physical mode for EDRMC staff, ECC and logistics staff, warehouses at regional, zonal, and woreda levels,.
- Provide monthly system improvement progress updates and quarterly reports for logistics, warehouse and commodity management.
- Support and strengthen the linkage of the the Food Management Improvement Project interpreted in the Commodity Allocation and management systems of CATS & CMPM.
- Laise and technical support on the production of daily, weekly and monthly reports for allocation, dispatch, delivery along with the eight warehouse operations.
- Assess the IT capacity of Logistics sector and provide feasible recommendations.
- Support the logicitcs operation of the two major program on emergency and social safety net and advise a distinct reporting systems on resource and response operations.
- Laise with the Commodity Management Unit of EDRMC and provide technical support for capacity enhancement.
- Support warehouse located at different regions under EDRMC with IT management in the production of updated reports about physical, committed and free stock of food and non-food items on daily basis, and produce stock alert when deplated and reach atit minimal stock level.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the EDRMC for the overall objectives of the position.
In performing the duties and responsibilities indicated above, the consultant will report directly to the Deputy Commissioner at EDRMC, and work closely with the Logistics Directorate Director and staff, the MIS Expert on Digital Library and Web Portal Management, and coordinate with other Directorates within EDRMC.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Information management System, Logistics and Commodity Managemnt, or related field with working experience in Ethiopia is essential. Ph.D. in a related field would be an added advantage.
- At least 10 years of proven experience in Information System and Management, Logistics and Commodity Managment, and related field.
- Familiarity and at least 5 years of experience in working with government agencies.
- Knowledge of working ethics of national government agencies, International NGOs, National NGOs, private organizations, and international organizations would prove to be an added advantage.
- Experience on automated commodity tacking and food management system under emergency situation.
- Self-motivated, pro-active and takes initiatives;
- Demonstrated ability to plan, and organize work & time independently;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and team-oriented work style
- Strong networking capacity and understanding of humanitarian and development nexus at local and regional levels;
- Strong desire to quickly learn, undertake new challenges, must be creative problem-solver, and must have self-confidence;
- Willingness to work hard, good sense of humor but with seriousness about the quality and excellence of work.
- For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Verbal and written communication skills in Amharic are essential. Knowledge of another language is an advantage.
Operate within all EDRMC and ADPC Guidelines & Procedures/ Policies;
Operate within specific program needs.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Duration: 12 months from May 2022 to April 2023 with the possibility of extension based on the performance and technical requirement of the position and duration of the project.