Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor
Position Type : Temporary (Maternity cover)
Duration: 4 months
Posting Location : Addis Ababa
Application Deadline: May 14, 2021
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) is a public health management firm, headquartered in the United States, dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. JSI has been implementing public health work in Ethiopia for over 25 years.
JSI is implementing the five-year Digital Health Activity in Ethiopia, which is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The purpose of this Activity is to support the Government of Ethiopia (GOE) to improve the quality of health services and create a sustainable health care system through the use of data for decision making, as well as to provide similar services to other countries in Africa or to respond to a crisis in Ethiopia (as needed). The primary objectives of the Activity are to 1) support information technology systems and data repository at all levels; 2) build a culture of data use; and 3) improve capacity and governance of MOH health information systems management.
We are looking for Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Advisor who will provide technical support to the program team in close concert with the Strategic information (SI) Director on the development and implementation of strategic information strategies, interventions, and best practices. S/he will be responsible to work with program teams and other stakeholders to identify SI needs, conduct, and monitor various program performance, project indicator tracking, including the effectiveness of interventions designed to improve the health system performance.
Specific responsibilities of the M&E Advisor will include, but not limited to the following:
- Develop, implement and regularly update the Digital Health Activity (DHA) Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) plan, routine monitoring, and the design and implementation of research and evaluation studies.
- Participate in and/or oversee project related data is captured, documented and reported and that performance reports are prepared and submitted in a timely fashion.
- Support the development of M&E protocols and instruments including the establishment of data collection exercise.
- Work closely with different DHA teams in building DHA capabilities for an organization data management system.
- Provide technical support to the Federal Ministry of Health and actively participate in the Information revolution Technical Working Groups (TWGs).
- Actively participate in the development of work plans, monitoring and evaluation plan, job aids, manuals and guidelines.
- Ensure effective M&E trainings for project staff are conducted on a periodic basis to ensure ownership of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Plan.
- Promote proper use of health information system instruments for data collection, record keeping and reporting at all levels.
- Promote data quality assurance using LQAS and RDQA at health facilities and administrative health units.
- Conduct periodic field visits to ensure that the Digital Health Activity work plan is effectively implemented including digitization, data use and governance interventions at all levels of the health system.
- Lead the coordination of the DHA’s MEL activities and regularly monitor and update progress against various indicators.
- Take the lead for compiling data and preparing various performance reports including monthly updates, quarterly reports, and routine indicators for USAID and other partners in close collaboration with the Data Use Partnership.
- Promote and enforce JSI’s culture of accountability and fraud prevention/management.
- Supervise junior level M&E staff (such as data officers or data collectors), as necessary.
- Perform any other duties requested by the project.
- Graduate degree in public health, demography, statistics or other relevant field and a minimum of five years working in the area of M&E, ideally for a USAID funded project.
- Knowledge and experience of M&E for public health programs preferably in health information systems.
- Previous work experience in the field of international public health (international NGO experience a plus), specifically working with health information systems.
- Proven experience in data analysis techniques of both quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Knowledge of statistical software such as Microsoft Excel, SPSS or STATA or SAS is essential and database systems such as Microsoft Access an advantage.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks concurrently, and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Excellent communication skills, fluent (written and spoken) in Amharic and with excellent spoken and written English skills.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.
- Willingness to travel within Ethiopia for up to 25% of time.
JSI/WEI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D.
How to Apply
How to apply:
Interested and qualified applicants should follow the below instruction and apply through the online application form no later than May 14, 2021.
- Fill out the online application form using this form:- Online Application Form . If you don’t fill the online application form, your application will not be considered.
- Submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
- You must include the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. If this is not included, your application will not be considered.
- Any application received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Application deadline: May 14, 2021.