National Consultant - Research Co-investigator
Home based, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
05.04.2021 – 15.04.2021
I. Organizational Context and Scope
Brief definition of the organizational context, reporting lines and scope:
Under the direct supervision of RRF Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing and doing a research as a co-investigator.
IOM together with the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) with generous financial support from USAID/BHA propose to conduct an evaluation to address the research gaps on Bishan Gari. Bishan Gari is a Point-Of-Use (POU) water treatment product that contains a coagulant and a disinfectant. There are limited studies on its use as a POU water treatment method during emergencies and microbial efficacy.
The planned evaluation will have three parts; a microbiological component to document Bishan Gari’s ability to improve the quality of water treated in terms of effective microbial reduction, turbidity reduction, and providing the recommended free residual chlorine. The second component will be key informant interviews to better understand who is distributing Bishan Gari, under which circumstances it is distributed, and whether there are any preferences on coagulant disinfectant products distributed in Ethiopia. The third component is a field-based evaluation designed to better understand the acceptability and use of Bishan Gari during an emergency distribution during emergency implementation in Ethiopia.
In this regard, a researcher from Addis Ababa University will work as a local collaborator and will be tasked to process the local IRB clearance, coordinate the survey among local collaborating institutions, partners, government ministries and other stakeholders, train interviewers, facilitate the data collection at field level by going to field locations, and provide inputs for the report.
The findings of the study will help to fill the gap in the efficiency and effectiveness of Bishan Gari and its ability to improve microbial and turbidity reduction. In addition, the study will address questions about Bishan Gari use in Ethiopia, its acceptability and preference. The study findings will help different implementing partners and other stakeholders for their humanitarian water supply interventions.
II. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
1. Review study protocol,
2. Facilitate the IRB clearance from Addis Ababa University (AAU),
3. Provide technical support on the protocol and during the study,
4. Facilitate training of enumerators and supervisors,
5. Conduct field visits and provide supportive supervision for the data collectors and supervisors,
6. Review and give inputs for the draft study report,
7. Lead the coordination with local institutions including different implementing partners, different government bureaus (Health, Water Bureaus) and other stakeholders.
III. Deliverables and Detailed Timelines:
The Consultancy will end in October 2021 with a payment schedule as per the below deliverables. Payment shall be subject to IOM’s receipt and approval of the deliverables.
50% of total all-inclusive salary
50% (remaining amount from the first payment)
The assignment is expected to take place for six months between May 2021 and October 2021. However, the exact time frame may be subject to change due to external factors.
Kindly note that the consultancy appointment is subject to conditions, including funding availability.
- PhD in Public Health from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience
- A Master’s Degree in International Relations, Behavioral Social Sciences, Public Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above field with at least nine years of relevant professional experience
Position specific experience:
- Ten (10) years of experience in conducting public health scientific research in different public health concern topics,
- Proven capacity to conduct training for data collectors and supervisors,
- Sound experience working with international organizations, regional organizations, governmental entities, the private sector, and civil society.
- Proven experience in publishing different scientific research papers.
Position specific skills:
- Proven experience in collecting, analysing, summarizing and interpret raw data and able to use different statistical platforms (STATA, SPSS, Epi-Info, Open-Code, etc)
- Knowledge of scientific research report writing skill
- Training facilitation skill
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Effective strategic and creative thinking.
- Fluency in English is required (oral and written).
- Knowledge of Local languages (Amharic, Oromiffa, etc ) is desirable.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR APPLICATION
a) Financial proposal:
- The proposal will include a lump sum cost for the assignment
- All-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a budget with a detailed breakdown of costs related to all aspects of the consultancy (including travel costs) for the implementation of activities.
b) Technical proposal (10 pages maximum , without annexes) :
1. Conceptual framework (2-3 pages);
2. Detailed methodology (2-3 pages);
3. Draft Work plan (1-2 pages);
4. Explanation of the consultant suitability for the assignment (1 page) including names and contacts of three recent professional referees.
5. Two examples of previous similar works;
6. CV, highlighting the consultant experience relevant to this assignment and their roles in the achievement of the assignment.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency maintain high ethical standards and act consistently with organizational principles/rules and conduct standards.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators
- Teamwork : develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results : produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge : continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability : takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioral indicators
- Leadership : provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision; assists others in realizing and developing their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust : creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision : works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
The assignment is expected to be finalized within six months.
Kindly note that your appointment is subject to conditions, including medical clearance and obtainment of visa.
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible for following IOM writing guidelines and the latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English and financial proposal via our e-mail address [email protected] , by 15 April, 2021 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!