National Expert Nurse
Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #146/2019
GIZ- Health Program
As a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and international education work, GIZ – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit – is dedicated to building a future worth living around the world.
Around the world, we have over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including rural and economic development, education and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Together with our partners, we work to deliver flexible, effective and cost-effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
As a public-benefit German federal enterprise, we are committed to meeting our clients’ high standards of transparency and accountability. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is our main commissioning party. European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and national governments also benefit from our services.
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been implementing development programs on behalf of the German government for over 40 years together with our national partners. The focus of our work in the country is on vocational education and employment promotion, sustainable use of natural resources, land management and food security, biodiversity and forestry. GIZ has recently started a new project in the health sector as well.
Over the last decade Ethiopia has made mayor progress in increasing access to healthcare and reducing morbidity and mortality. The focus now has shifted to more advanced care requiring higher qualifications, enhanced quality of training content and institutions and introduction of academic training. In addition, the increasing use of medical equipment and biomedical technologies requires the training and posting of biomedical technicians and engineers and a coherent national concept for comprehensive management of technical devices. This includes identification, inventory, installation, maintenance, repair and safe disposal. Also, staff needs to be trained on the safe and correct use of available technologies. There is a high need for well-trained, skilled and competent health personnel, for better-equipped teachers and trainers and more suitable training materials and trainings that match future requirements in the world of work.
Position : National Expert Nurse–
Place of Work : Nekemte
Required candidates : One
Application deadline : September 09, 2019
The advisor is responsible for
- advise the Nekemte Specialized Hospital in quality improvement of nursing instruction (pre and in service) at bedside
- support the coordination with Nekemte Health Science College and with surrounding hospitals / health facilities
- support exchange and knowledge management at all levels
The professional advisor performs the following tasks:
- Support to the practical pre-service and in-service education of nurses at Nekemte Regional Referral Hospital and potentially other/surrounding hospitals with a focus on bedside teaching
- Support to improving hospital processes related to in-patient and out-patient treatment
- Quality management in line with national level quality assurance approaches (e.g. 5S Kaizen)
- Cooperation with relevant health and training institutions
- Advise to the hospital management team and lead nursing officers
- Close technical cooperation with the GIZ advisors placed at the Nekemte Health Science College and Nekemte Biomedical Workshop
- Contributions to M&E of the project and to knowledge management
Networking, coordination and cooperation
- supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with all relevant partner institutions, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project
- delivers data to the project M&E system
- prepares appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- assists with research activities and studies for the benefit of the project and assists with PR
The professional, advisory
- assists with general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation
- coordinates relevant project activities at local/zonal level in consultation with the programme manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
- handles order management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting)
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Experienced nurse (m/f) with academic degree in nursing science, teaching qualification in practical nursing is an asset
- A minimum of 5 years proven practical working experience
Other knowledge, additional competences
- strong planning and analytical skills
- proven experience and skills in networking and technical coordination of different institutions
- strong personality with experience in management advice
- fluent written and spoken English and Amharic, knowledge of Oromo language; German is an asset
- very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘National Expert Nurse #146/2019’ in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged