About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. We help people overcome poverty and conflict. Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives. To grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions. During our 34-year history, our work has improved more than 170 million lives in more than 115 countries around the world. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: Nutrition and WASH Specialist
Duty Station: Jijiga,Somali region and Semera, Afar Region
Mercy Corps is an international non-profit, non-governmental organization operating in Nutrition, Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Livestock, and Economic and Markets Development sectors. Mercy Corps currently has programs in the Regions of Somali, Oromia, Addis Ababa and SNNP, and works through the principles of Accountability, Participation and Peaceful Change.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Mercy Corps has been present in Ethiopia since 2004, and acts on behalf of people who have become disenfranchised and poor. We stand with Ethiopia to find and access opportunities, and to be part of lasting and meaningful transformation in the country. Mercy Corps seeks to be influential with government and development actors towards a more resilient country where poverty is tackled through the eyes of those who understand it best. This translates into ensuring that the population is financially stable, healthy & nourished, educated & unformed, and that natural resources are accessible, shared and utilized sustainably.
Mercy Corps is implementing a multi-year, multi-million dollar USAID funded initiative focused on stimulating increased production, productivity and marketing through more competitive livestock and livestock products markets; increasing communities’ resilience; diversifying livelihood economic opportunities and options through essential skills transfer; improving food security and nutrition, and contributing to the wider knowledge on pastoral development. The program operates in multiple pastoral regions across Ethiopia.
Mercy Corps is seeking a full-time, in-country Nutrition and WASH Specialists to work on Nutrition and WASH activities for a USAID funded project.
The Nutrition and WASH Specialist is a position based in either one of the following offices 1 specialist Jigjiga, 2 specialist in Dire Dawa and 1 specialist in Afar) with travel to RIPA project operational areas in Somali , Afar regions and Borana zone of Oromiya region.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Under the leadership of the Nutrition and WASH Coordinator will implement, manage and monitor the RIPA Nutrition and WASH components at regional and woreda levels in such a way that program activities results in greater progress, synergies for nutritional and WASH impact.
- Build capacity of government extension agents and water technicians including health extension workers to provide nutrition and gender-sensitive Community Led Total Sanitation and Hygiene (CLTSH)
- Support implementation of Maternal Infant and Young Child Nutrition (MIYCN) activities at regional and woreda level
- Prior experience implementing the Mother Care Group (MCG) model
- Have extensive knowledge on the “first 1000 day” approach
- Collaborate with Agricultural extension workers in implementation of home gardening for fruits and vegetables including food storage and preservation
- Roll out Community Led Total Sanitation and Hygiene (CLTSH) in targeted woredas
- Capacity building of water management committees and other traditional water governance structures.
- Strengthen health extension workers/ ‘development army’ to promote latrine construction and disseminate essential promotion packages or household sanitation and hygiene.
- Promote construction of household upgradable latrines.
- Ensures all water/sanitation infrastructure and hygiene activities in the targeted cluster are implemented in accordance with the Mercy Corps, donor and government guidelines and policies.
- Promote Sanitation and hygiene practices (raw water treatment, safe water storage and handling hand washing and installation of hand washing facilities by the latrines)
- Facilitate village level dialogue on personal, food/water hygiene and sanitation problems and social and gender norms that influence nutrition through Social Analysis and Action (SAA) approach
- Provide Nutrition and WASH trainings to field staff, government health workers, water technicians etc, as necessary.
- Actively participate in the development of tools behavior change communication (BCC) materials and approaches for Nutrition and WASH
- Regularly design and upload Nutrition and WASH activities concept notes
REPRESENTATION AND COORDINATION
- In consultation with the Nutrition and WASH Coordinator represent RIPA nutrition at Woreda level (Somali/Oromiya/Afar) technical coordination meetings and forums, as needed eg Health, WASH and Nutrition clusters
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in nutrition, public health or related international development field and at least 3 years of relevant work in nutrition and/or food security programs development
- Extensive knowledge on WASH approaches for development settings
- Extensive knowledge on MIYCN approaches for development settings.
- Solid research background and good writing skills.
- Strong, team player, well demonstrated organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary technical specialists.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple activities.
- English fluency is essential, plus at least one other local language spoken in pastoral Ethiopia (Somali, Oromiya and Afar regions).
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants personal inquiries are not permitted.
Only candidates that are short listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female and young candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women and youth.
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 14 September 2020/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address: [email protected]
Note: Please make sure that you mention the position title in the subject line of your email application.
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974