Significant progress has been made in nutrition over the past years in terms of reduction of malnutrition and creating enabling environment. However, the stunting rate at 37% is high and the high level of stunting in Ethiopia negatively impacting infant mortality, school performance, and household income, chronic malnutrition perpetuates the inter-generational cycle of deprivation. The first ever Food and Nutrition Policy was approved to guide the delivery of a range of cost-effective nutrition interventions to reduce the high burden of malnutrition. To support this Policy, the 'National Food and Nutrition Strategy 2020–2030' (FNSS) was developed by line ministries under the leadership of the Federal Ministry of Health and other development partners. Moreover, Ethiopia made an ambitious plan that envisions ending child undernutrition by 2030, named the ‘Seqota’ declaration. The Seqota declaration demonstrates the government’s commitment to ensure high-level and multi-sectoral engagement which recognizes improving nutrition as a foundation for human and economic development.
There is a need to consolidate the capacity of the Nutrition Case Team of the FMOH in translating Food and Nutrition policy into action, advocating and support for the establishment of Food and Nutrition Council, strengthen nutrition specific and sensitive intervention, planning and monitoring of nutrition programmes, facilitation of the multi-sectoral approach to nutrition and coordination of stakeholders.
The Federal Ministry of Health has recognized the technical support provided as a key function and requested UNICEF to continue providing this support. Moreover, the nutrition section has also found these functions very important for speeding up achievements of the National Nutrition Program goals and implementation of the Food and Nutrition policy.
The Main Responsibilities of the Post are :
Support the development of Food and Nutrition Strategy and guideline and monitoring of operational research
· Support the finalization of Food and Nutrition Strategy, costing and dissemination.
· Support the development of nutrition programs, guideline and training manuals.
· Support the development of nutrition communication and advocacy materials
· Monitoring of final operational research and evaluation report.
· Organize workshop for reviewing the results of the operational research and evaluation and ensure all comments are addressed.
· Facilitate the dissemination of operational research and evaluation findings
Multisectoral Coordination and Monitoring and Evaluation systems
· Support the establishment of Food and Nutrition Council through supporting advocacy events for different Sector Ministers.
· Support and monitor functioning of the regional multisectoral coordination committee
· Identify and leverage experiences on multi-sectoral coordination of nutrition data both within the region and national level.
· Share learnings from the regional Food and Nutrition Coordination Unit
· Develop a strategy for monitoring, evaluation and learning capacity assessment and capacity building to deepen multi-sectoral nutrition data use for decision making.
3, Support for the collection and use of nutrition data for decision making
· Build the capacity of nutrition program implementing line ministries, agencies and institutes at all levels to collect and utilize nutrition data for planning and decision making.
· Ensure regular Integrated Supportive Supervision (ISS) and multisectoral & sectoral review meetings.
· Conduct systematic review and publication of the existing nutrition data for programming and decision making
· Support and follow up the roll out of UNISE in target woredas and documentation of lesson learnt.
· Support and organize a forum for sharing experience from UNISE implementation in target woredas.
· Support nutrition information systems and Food and Nutrition Strategy monitoring framework.
· Develop advocacy and sensitization messages on nutrition information revolution
4, Follow-up, supervise and monitor implementation of Rolling Work Plan (RWP) with the Federal Ministry of Health
o Support MOH for quarterly disbursement and liquidation of cash received with FMoH Nutrition case team, finance and Partnership and coordination teams.
o Verify Nutrition project expenditures are within allotments and that data is consistent with the project information and database. Follow up on queries or initiate corrective action on discrepancies.
· Final costed Food and Nutrition Strategy and dissemination workshop conducted, month 1-3
· Established Food and Nutrition Council, month 1-5
· Developed manuals, training guides and advocacy and communication messages, month 1-11
· Training reports, month 1-11
· Supportive supervision reports, month 1-11
· Multisectoral nutrition meeting minutes, month 1-11
· Advocacy and sensitization messages on nutrition information revolution
· Operational and evaluation survey reports in line with UNICEF’s standard for evaluations, month 1-11
· Workshops conducted for validation of results operational researches and evaluations, month 10-11
· Workshop conducted for dissemination and experience sharing of UNISE implementation lesson learnt, month 6-11
· Functioning of the Regional Food and Nutrition Program Coordination Units, month 1-11
· Reports on learnings from the Regional Food and Nutrition Delivery Unit Implementation, month 6-11
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
· Advanced University degree in nutrition/ public health
· A minimum of ten years of professional work experience in nutrition, including experience in the management of nutrition programs and policy dialogue at the national level.
· Detailed understanding of the National Food and Nutrition Policy, Nutrition Program, strategies, program, guidelines and related initiatives in response to maternal and child undernutrition.
· Technical understanding of nutrition specific interventions and cross-cutting behavior change communication to increase uptake of optimal maternal, infant, and young child nutrition practices.
· Experience providing technical capacity building and technical assistance for health professionals.
· Experience supporting nutrition programs within the health sector will be an asset.
· Ability to multi-task and work under pressure with attention to detail.
· Ability to think critically and analytically to draw sound conclusions based on programmatic lessons-learned, evidence and data.
· Proven track record of building and maintaining strategic relationships, influencing complex processes, working in partnership is essential.
· Experience leading technical working groups and participating in multi-sector nutrition forums.
· Experience presenting and sharing programmatic lessons-learned, research and evidence findings in a range of fora.
· Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English and Amharic
How to Apply
How to ApplyQualified applicants can submit their application letter along with an updated CV with three professional references, copies of education credentials, and work experience via email to jobs @abhpartners.com by stating the position you are applying for on the subject email.