Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 75 countries.
Project design, implementation and reporting
- Responsible for the supply of Water with in the required quality and standard.
- Responsible for hygiene and sanitation promotion works around water Distribution and collection points.
- Coach project and government WASHCOs how to undertake ongoing Water Supply system at the Field level.
- Conduct field feasibility study to new project sites.
- Follow up proper management of Water Supply sites and take measurement, quality control, give instruction with the consultation of the WASH coordinator and WASH Officer.
- Ensure the technical soundness, appropriateness and general quality in water supply and sanitation and Infrastructure project design, planning, implementation of projects and construction Supervision and Contract Administration.
- Work for effective and efficient thematic area coordination in consultation with the project Health and Nutrition officer and Coordinator and other project staffs.
- Close monitoring and follow up for smooth and on time project implementation.
- Record and share good practices and case stories achievements of the project.
- Participate and contribute for quality and timely reporting and documenting of project activities including preparation of quarterly/yearly project progress reports.
- Manage and organize trainings, workshops and meetings that concerns the project at all Woreda levels.
- Field supervision and quality control of construction of borehole, Rural and Urban piped water supply project, rehabilitation and expansion of civil works, construction of VIP Latrine.
- Participate in bid process, Prepares Bid documents, and construction agreements and coordinates contract awards.
- Prepare take of sheet, cost and material estimation for payment and planning
Related to Program Design;
- Facilitate and collect baseline information and data from community submit to PA for further analysis.
Related to Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Monitor project implementation processes, coordinate evaluations, share learning’s and document best practices.
- Prepare and submit a quality periodic narrative reports in a timely manner according to Plan International and donor requirements.
- Provide technical support for WASHCOs and Community plumbers.
- Identify, document and disseminate best practices, success stories and story of changes from within and outside Plan International staff and other development partners.
- Ensure project learning and achievements are documented and disseminated widely.
- Ensure all project documentation is filed and organized for accountability purposes.
Related to coordination, partnership and networking
- In addition to the WASH coordinator, he/she can be Serve as a principal representative to WASH thematic networks and clusters in the project areas that has relevance to the project implementation, to create collaborative and positive partnerships and alliances, and to influence policy that maximizes the impact of the project.
- Establish links and good relationships with relevant district government authorities, UN organizations, NGOs, academic and research institutions and the media, in the area of water, sanitation and hygiene to draw information and knowledge for project efficiency and effectiveness.
- Makes follow up and proper documentation and share of district government information, strategies with respect to water sanitation and hygiene.
- Facilitates communication and interaction between partners/collaborators and Program Area finance team.
Related to capacity building support
- Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of local WASHCOs and Community plumbers in project management.
- Provide guidance to colleagues and partner staffs on smooth partnership management for enhanced project implementation.
- Ensure that appropriate partner assessment is done on time and communicated to relevant staff.
- Manage and monitor partnerships with implementing organizations, including their efficient utilization and timely accountability of funds allocated.
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Dealing with Problems :
Complexity of problems handled & the degree of investigation, analysis, & creative thinking required solving them
- The position involves resolving many challenges which typically occur in WASH Programs management at the PA level.
- The post holder will demonstrate the ability to solve problems, while introducing innovations as needed to meet the demands of a dynamic and sometimes unpredictable operating environment while ensuring Plan systems and policies are adhered to.
- The post holder will coordinate program portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality and its link with the overall country program. This will encompass strengthening accountability, planning, management, adherence to policies and procedures, and promoting a culture for delivery of results, both short and long term.
All the above responsibilities oblige a post holder to develop high level of professional discipline and preparedness to investigate cases, analyse, & thinking creatively in the process of solving problems of beneficiaries.
- To maximize overall program impact through the optimized contributions of others, the post holder will be required to initiate, develop and maintain a range of working relationships, including with government counterparts, implementing partners and other development organizations with the region.
- Effective working relationships within the program unit are also essential. The job holder will have frequent communication with, Plan staff and various internal staff networks.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- At least a High School Diploma in Sanitary work or an equivalency certificate and related disciplines with at least 2 years relevant experience in water supply and sanitation development out of which a minimum of 1 years of NGO experience.
- Demonstrated experience in managing pipeline maintenance, costing and preparing BOQs of water supply and sanitation projects and infrastructures.
- Experience in Installing pipes and plumbing fixtures, Estimate costs of installations.
- Experience in repairs, maintain pipeline system, visually inspect equipment and operate test equipment such as pressure and vacuum gauges to determine the cause and location of trouble
- Experience and Knowledge of using Plumbing tools, Welding Machines and equipment’s,
- Knowledge of the water, sanitation and hygiene sector.
- Knowledge of project cycle management and child centred community development programming.
- Knowledge of development issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and implications to community development.
- Experience in implementation of integrated WASH, Health and Nutrition projects.
Skills Specific to the Post
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
- Strong negotiation, influencing and problem solving skills.
- Numeracy and the ability to interpret financial data, in order to understand budgetary processes including planning, monitoring and reporting.
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate options including planning skills.
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications
Location: Assosa and Metekel
Type of Role: Plumber/ Water Technician
Reports to: Water Supply officer
Closing Date: 03/08/2022
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Please note that Plan International will never send unsolicited emails requesting payment from candidates.