Reference No: REC/ 008/20
Job title: Production & Marketing Team Leader, Pathways to Resilience (P2R 
Location: Addis Ababa with extensive travel to programme sites
Reports to: GOAL Ethiopia Assistant Country Director – Programmes (ACD P), Matrix management with P2R Chief of Party
Closing Date: February 19, 2020
GOAL’s mission is to work with the most vulnerable communities to help them respond to and recover from humanitarian crises, and to assist them to build transcendent solutions to mitigate poverty and vulnerability.
GOAL is a non-for profit organization that has been working in Ethiopia for over 30 years, towards ensuring the poorest and most vulnerable in our world and those affected by humanitarian crises have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate shelter, food and livelihoods, water and sanitation, nutrition, healthcare and education. GOAL implements a range of multi-sectoral development, resilience, recovery and humanitarian responses programmes by being sensitive to cross-cutting issues including gender, accountably, child protection, HIV/AIDS. Currently, we work with pastoralist, agro-pastoral, pastoral dropouts, rural small holder farmers, rural/urban youth and street children to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience in Ethiopia working closely with local communities, local government, donors and other key actors.
We envision a world where poverty no longer exist, where vulnerable communities are resilient, where barriers to wellbeing are removed and where everyone has equal rights and opportunities. GOAL Ethiopia’s main donors Irish Aid, USAID/OFDA, EHF, ECHO and other private donors.
Description of the programme
Pathways to Resilience is a five-year initiative (2019 – 2024), currently under design by a consortium led by PCI, consortium partners are iDE and GOAL and targeting the Oromia Region and the Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples’ Region. The purpose of P2R is to improve resilience through improved food security and inclusive economic growth, it is supported by USAID in Ethiopia with an estimated budget of $25 million.
The programme has five component areas, each led by a consortium member, PCI as the consortium lead have overall programme and grant management and are responsible for monitoring, evaluation and learning using USAID’s Collaboration, Adaptation & Learning (CLA) approach. The programme components are:
- Disaster risk management including access to informal financial services, PCI will lead.
- Diversified sustainable economic opportunities for people transitioning out of pastoralism, iDE will lead.
- Intensified and sustained pastoral and agro-pastoral production and marketing, water and natural resource management and access to formal financial services, GOAL will lead.
- Improved nutritional status of women and children, GOAL will lead.
- A crisis modifier to respond to sudden on set shocks while preserving development gains, PCI will mange with all partners participating.
ABOUT THE POSITON:
The P2R Production & Marketing Team Leader will be a member of the P2R senior programme management team, based in Addis Ababa, and has direct responsibility for all aspects of programming and team management which stimulates market systems initiatives to increase livestock and crops production and marketing, targeting agro / pastoralist in Ethiopia and formal financial inclusion initiatives. The incumbent will coordinator and collaborate with Nutrition team leader of GOAL and consortium agencies components lead. S/he will have overall responsibility for all aspects of component 3 (Intensified and sustained pastoral and agro-pastoral production and marketing, water and natural resource management and access to formal financial services), which will use a market systems approach. The successful candidate will have experience at a senior management level as well as substantial experience and confidence in market systems programming. S/he will be able to lead teams, using an agile management approach, to research identified market systems, identify opportunities and constraints and co-design and cost share initiatives with the permanent players i.e. government, community/ civil society and the private sector. Most initiatives under component 3 are expected to be driven by private sector players, so experience in facilitation and negotiation with the private sector is a key competence sought. Initiatives are managed adaptively with short learning loops and the post holder will need to be experienced in doing this and in working with the CLA team to design, measure and evaluate systems that capture change at all levels of the identified market systems.
The Production & Marketing Team Leader will have direct responsibility for the planning and management and reporting of component 3’s budget, which will include grant management of private sector partners. The post holder will have overall responsibility for the recruitment, induction, on-going skill development and performance management of a highly creative team for component 3, designed to stimulate sustainable and scalable production and marketing in agro-pastoral livelihoods.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY/DUTIES:
1. Strategy and Vision
· Attain component 3 programme goal and objectives through the development, implementation, reviews, presentation and management of strategic plans, programmes and projects by personal application and agile management.
· Recommend and lead implementation of programme priorities and explore, evaluate and present new country opportunities that leverage impact and/ or complement core activities.
2. Consortium relationship management
- Develop professional and productive working relationships and communication channels across the P2R consortium’s senior management team.
- Create efficient and productive communication channels between the P2R consortium and the GOAL country programme.
- Overall responsibility for the planning and reporting of component 3 to the GOAL ACDP and P2R Chief of Party
3. Programme Management
- Manage all operations related to component 3 according to the programme work plan, programme budget and implementation strategy.
- Ensure that there are fluent horizonal communication channels with P2R component leads and vertical with component 3 teams.
- Work with the grants management and finance teams to manage programmatic partners granting and reporting.
- Monitor programme implementation, measure impact and calibrate component 3 strategy and implementation accordingly.
- Ensure efficient logistics, administration, human resources and transport needs of component 3 are conducted within GOAL policy and with the maximum benefit to the programme.
- Ensure all component 3 programme funds are spent in accordance with donor rules and regulations and are reasonable and that work with the private sector conforms to donor guidelines.
- Work with the ACDP to forecast expenditure surpluses and deficits to enable adjustments to be made to the programme in a timely fashion.
- Collaborate with GOAL E livelihoods and other units for learning and mainstreaming of market system development program
- Ensure that all work follows international quality standards and best practices and that initiatives are technically and environmentally sound.
4. Team Management
Build a vibrant and creative team for a market facilitative approach to agro / pastoral livelihoods.
- Manage the recruitment, induction and ongoing skill development of the component 3 team to ensure staff are of the quality and capacity to ensure the successful implementation of activities.
- Embrace and support an adaptive management approach to programme management.
- Ensure performance management and any necessary disciplinary measures are made according to GOAL policy.
5. Market Systems Research & Design
- The Production & Marketing Team Leader is responsible for leading (with programme teams and external technical support), the primary market systems research into livestock and crop production and marketing systems and the identification of potential partners, in all programme locations. From the research the context specific design portfolios of intervention where there are opportunities to create sustainable change, with a view to (over time), taking successful initiatives to scale.
- The Production & Marketing Team Leader is responsible for the appropriate documentation and updating of market systems research.
6. Collaboration, Learning and Adaptation (CLA)
- CLA is central to all programming and critical to adaptive management. The production & Marketing Team Lead will work closely with the national CLA Team Lead to ensure that the overall P2R programme MEL strategy incorporates:
- An appropriate monitoring system for component 3, essential for adaptive management
- An appropriate system to evaluate change at all levels of the identified market systems,
- A system to provide learning (both what is working and what is not) and the mechanisms to communicate learning, both internally and externally.
- The Production & Marketing Team Lead will ensure that learning loop are short and monitoring data is derived (as much as possible), from partners existing data systems, and reviewed regularly and used to adjust and drive programme direction.
- Support all efforts towards accountability to project participants and to international standards guiding development work. This includes understanding and following established international guidelines and actively engaging participating communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of programmes.
- Work closely in partnership with the ACD P and COP to represent the programme to the USAID, the Ethiopian Government at all levels. Engage appropriately and creatively with the programme Steering Committee and other PARA awardees
- Ensure establishment and maintenance of relationships with target communities, and local government structures.
- Represent P2R and GOAL at external and relevant thought leadership events as needed.
- GOAL’s recruitment procedure is fair and transparent which is also in line with the organization’s commitment to its integrity, honesty and culture. GOAL is committed to ensure that, its performance complies with the terms and conditions of relevant agreements, applicable laws & regulations. Hence, pre-employment background checks will be conducted, and employees are required to read, understand, sign and implement different polices including safe guarding and child protection policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and abuse policy, sexual harassment policy, code of conducts and any other rules and regulation of the organization. GOAL is strongly committed not to harm the people under its care.
Do you want to join an exciting organization that brings high level impact to the community and add value to your professional advancement? Then join us if you have:
• Degree in Marketing, Economics and related field.
• Technical expertise in livestock and crop production and marketing
• Previous experience in working programmatically with the private sector
• Previous experience in working with agro-pastoralists
• Complex program management and demonstrated success building, managing and leading a team of professionals.
• Strong writing, communication, organization, prioritization and negotiating skills.
• Excellent (English) verbal and written communication skills with proven financial management skills.
• Experience in building and maintaining effective partnerships with implementing and strategic partner agencies, and government authorities and counterparts.
• Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications
Desirable qualities, skill and Competencies:
· Qualified and experience staff who have remarkable experience in marketing systems
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants need to submit ONLY once their non – returnable application with CV for one vacancy. The vacancy reference number along with the title needs to be written in the application letter and/or subject of the email. Applicants can apply using the following option.
- Applicants who have access to the internet can directly submit their application to [email protected]
- Applicants without access to internet can submit to the Administration & Human Resources Department, GOAL Ethiopia P. O. Box 5504, Addis Ababa or personally to GOAL Ethiopia Head Office reception.
- Applicants are advised to fill GOAL Ethiopia’s Application Employment Form which can be found at ( ) or from GOAL office/sites.
GOAL strongly encourages female candidates to apply!
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and exam.
Shortlisted candidates will need to submit other supporting documents upon request at later stage.
GOAL is not able to contribute towards any costs incurred by candidates during the recruitment process.