We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
The Child Protection Project Coordinator is responsible to effectively coordinate the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the Ethiopian Migration Program in the respective location. Working closely with the project manager and the child safeguarding officer, he/she will be responsible in coordinating and implementing the case management and child protection activities in the intervention area, fulfilling area-level SC and the donor compliances and coordinating with all partners and stakeholders engaged in the program. He/she will provide project progress reports as per government and donor requirement as well as whenever needed by the hub, country office, to keep the technical and operations team on implementation progress. The project coordinator will represent SCI at external forums/meetings at field office level as required in consultation with the program manager and field office manager, to position the achievements of the project that he/she is responsible for. The Child Protection Project Coordinator will report to the Project Manager and work closely with the entire technical and operational teams.
Job specific roles and responsibilities
- Coordinates and supervise the implementation of case management and child protection activities in the intervention area according to contract objectives, ensuring the programme meets or exceeds agreed targets, annual plans and budgeting processes for the programme with full accountability to Save the Children, project partners and to the donor.
- Prepare regular progress reports of the project as required to project manager, field office manager in compliance to rules and guidelines of donor and SC.
- Provide feedback and share lessons learned from project implementations
- Serve as the sub-budget holder for the CP projects under responsibility implemented under the field office.
- Ensures that appropriate technical back up is given to staffs who report directly to him/her towards smooth implementation of project according to targets, agreed time frame, within budget and in compliance with core protection principles and best practices and donor regulations.
- Ensures the quality, relevance and integrated nature of programs in the project.
- Ensure that technical, financial, and operational activities, including reporting are carried out according to agreed milestones, donors’ and Save the Children’s policies and procedures.
- Identify and effectively manage all key risks in the Area related to the project, including compliance with DFID, UK’s International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) and due diligence requirements.
Reporting and MEAL
- Contribute to the development and documentation of best practices and their dissemination to a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Coordinate with MEAL officers for the data input and for report writing of all narrative and program data reporting requirements for donor and government signatories.
- Work closely with MEAL and Ensure Quality Bench Marks/QBMs/ and CFRMs are put in place and monitored regularly.
- Work closely with project manager and MEAL to Facilitate midterm and terminal evaluation of projects through participatory process
- Monitor and systematically document project results
- Conduct regular and scheduled monitoring and reviews of project progress with partners and stakeholders.
Partnership and stakeholder management:
- Facilitate Capacity building for key protection service provider
- Engage and work closely with stockholders and partners in strengthening and increasing access to protection services.
- Foster collaborative environment and team spirit among partners
- Closely work with partner organizations in the course of project planning and implementation
- Conduct regular monitoring visits, support partners at the project sites and prepare reports for documentation and follow-up actions
- Follow-up on agreements, financial, narrative and audit reports between SCI and CP partners
- Closely work with partners in the preparation of periodic and project completion reports
- Support activities to improve Child Protection organizational readiness to respond to emergencies in line with global SCI humanitarian goals and benchmarks
- Be familiar with, adhere to and implement the procedures and processes detailed in the Rules and Principles for humanitarian response
- As needed, mount appropriate and timely response to emergencies, consistent with established benchmarks, plans and organizational policies and in close cooperation with incoming surge teams
- Support the programme activities related to the provision of a remedial protection response and address urgent needs of the most vulnerable transit migrants
- Manage his/her team members and support respectful and positive working relationships for quality programme implementation.
- Support direct reports to develop their annual develop to perform goals and quarterly deliverables aligned with their role and responsibilities
- Plan and implement staff capacity building through trainings, mentoring, coaching to realize their development objectives
- Conduct quarterly conversations and provide feedback on their performance
- Organize monthly team meetings to increase engagements of teams and communicate organizational directions, priorities and organizational changes.
- Ensure and supervise staffs properly complete mandatory online reports like Effort Reports and usage of the other SC online systems.
- Represent SCI at external forums/meetings at field office level as required in consultation with the program manager and field office manager, to position the achievements of the project that he/she is responsible for
- Contribute and Support the establishment of efficient and effective systems and procedures to monitor Payment by Results requirements and demonstration of Value for Money.
- Provide the necessary capacity building support for SCI staffs under his supervision.
- Performs other related activities as assigned by his immediate supervisor/manger
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and
- external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
Honest, encourages openness and transparency
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
- Bachelor/ advanced university degree in a related field, such as development studies international relations, migration, human rights, law, or social sciences.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in international humanitarian and/or development aid, preferably with migrant children, returnees, and with at least 3 years in supervisory and coordination role.
- Knowledge and understanding of community based child protection mechanisms, national protection systems, and child protection monitoring and evaluation
- Technical expertise, knowledge and experience in migration, Child Protection, Case management, Psychosocial service provision and Multi-sectoral referral linkage mechanisms
- Robust analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Demonstrable track record of meeting or exceeding programme targets, whilst maintaining program quality.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with partners, local organizations, and other stakeholders
- Ability to take personal responsibility for completing tasks to a high standard and to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to work flexibly and professionally in a dynamic and fast-moving environment.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.