- Company: Jhpiego Ethiopia Country Office
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Ethiopia
Jhpiego is saving the lives of mothers and babies, and transforming health care systems in communities, regions and countries—leading to overall improvements in quality of life. That’s the ripple effect of Jhpiego’s work, through both large-scale and smaller, unique projects on the ground.
– working with people in local communities, health care policymakers, funders and colleagues
– forging trust, gaining true friendship and empowering people
– never giving up, never says “impossible”; tireless and relentless, staying the course
– for all people, whoever they are, wherever they live
– in all that is done—rigor in science, in proven interventions, in the highest-quality standards, in being accountable for the resources provided.
Title: Project Director- ENAT Project (Enhancing Nutrition and Antenatal infection Treatment for Maternal and Child Health)
Department: Ethiopia Country Office, Addis Ababa
Duty Station: Addis Ababa Summary Scope of Work:
The Project Director will provide leadership, managerial, and technical oversight for Jhpiego’s co-funded “ENAT” Project. The Project Director will guide the strategic planning and design of the project as well as its implementation. S/he will also be responsible for managing partner relationships and facilitating an overall relationship with both donors (The Child Investment Fund aka CIFF and The ELMA Philanthropy), The Ethiopia Federal Ministry of Health (MOH), Regional Health bureaus and local partners to streamline project implementation efforts. S/he will ensure that all project deliverables are met on time, scope, and within budget. S/he will supervise a team of qualified national staff.
- Position Reports to: Country Director
- Position Supervised : Senior MNCH Manager, Training and Curriculum Design Specialist and Program Assistant
All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of their responsibilities are expected to:
- Model the mission and values stated above.
- Actively participate in the business development process.
- Actively participate in the knowledge sharing and transfer process.
- Make responsible decisions that result in both time and cost containment.
- Provide programmatic and technical leadership for the ENAT Project, ensuring the technical and financial integrity of the project and achieving project goals, objectives, and targets.
- Promote a strong sense of teamwork and partnership across the whole program and provide programmatic leadership to regionally based staff and advisors.
- Lead the development of annual donor work plans, and other program deliverables; participate in or lead as necessary the development of implementation and training plans, reports, and special documents/reports.
- Facilitate the development of innovative program approaches and interventions.
- Oversee program management to develop implementation plans, make budgetary decisions and monitor the implementation of activities and ensure that donor-specified program deliverables are met.
- Supervise technical and program staff and take part in their regular performance review. Provide capacity building guidance to supervisees as well as staff that do not report directly to the director but are also on the ENAT team.
- Monitor outputs and program results working closely with the M&E team.
New Business Development:
- Identify strategic opportunities for Jhpiego-Ethiopia and potential areas for expansion of the existing programs and support the Jhpiego Country Director to pursue these opportunities.
- Contribute to proposal management, design, writing, and editing of Ethiopia bids.
- Encourage team members to actively share information and knowledge with other Jhpiego country programs and headquarters.
- Represent Jhpiego in professional circles and present key findings at conferences and workshops.
Required Skills, Attitudes and Attributes :
- Excellent interpersonal skills including communication, working in a multi-disciplinary team; ability to establish and maintain relationships with partners and donors in-country and worldwide, strong work ethic.
- Significant knowledge of maternal and newborn health in a development setting, and a working knowledge of private donor policies in international health. Previous experience managing complex grants is highly preferred.
- Understanding of public health and development approaches particularly in the Ethiopian context. Familiarity with Ethiopia’s health system, key stakeholders and relevant government policies/strategies.
- Excellent program management skills with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and deliver on tight time deadlines.
- Experience managing projects in excess of US $1 million a year and supervising a large and geographically dispersed team of national staff.
- Excellent facilitation, presentation, team building, negotiation and coordination skills.
- Highly Proficient in English and Amharic. Excellent writing skills.
- Computer literacy: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel & PowerPoint).
Required Education and Qualifications:
- Medical or Midwifery Degree or equivalent with a post-graduate degree in public health or similar field is required.
- At least 15 years work experience, with minimum of seven (10) years progressive senior experience in successful field implementation and technical expertise of managing Maternal/Newborn Health projects in Ethiopia.
- Understanding of monitoring and evaluation of programs, and skilled in use of data for decision-making and program management.
- Demonstrated self-management (i.e. motivation, dealing with pressure, adaptability) and the ability to project a professional, consistent image of confidence, integrity and competence.
- Ability to travel domestically up to 30%
How to Apply
Applicant are expected to STRICTLY follow the below listed application procedures:
1. Only qualified and interested applicants can submit application letter and well written curriculum vitae saved in one complied PDF format
2. Applicants are required to state their current basic salary in their application letter
3. Applicants must make sure their application document is saved by their full name
4. CREDENTIALS OR WORK CERTIFICATES must not be submitted at this point
5. The job position being applied for must be explicitly stated in the application letter
6. Application being submitted via email must have the job position title clearly stated in the subject line
7. Please use E-mail HREthiopia@jhpiego.org to submit your applications.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package. The winning candidate is expected to start within short period after finalization of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is May 23, 2019.