About CRS: “Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partner’s people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.”
In Ethiopia, CRS has a long and rich history of providing emergency relief and development assistance to the people of Ethiopia since 1958. At present, CRS/Ethiopia implements multiple projects through different partner organizations. CRS/Ethiopia has a highly diverse portfolio currently focusing on community-based food and livelihood security through activities in agriculture, health, peacebuilding, WASH, emergency relief, and savings and lending. CRS is active in nearly all regions of Ethiopia: Tigray, Amhara, Oromia, Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples’ Region (SNNPR), Somali, Benishangul Gumuz, Afar, and Dire Dawa Regions.
CRS strictly adheres to its Policy on Protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults among its staff, consultants, volunteers, and affiliates. CRS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer: women, minorities and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
As part of the CRS family, you will join the more than 5000 strong and vibrant individuals working globally to accomplish the mission of CRS. CRS/Ethiopia invites you, the qualified candidate, to apply for the following position;
Position Title: Project officer- Emergency WASH
Duty Station: CRS/Addis Ababa Office
Employment Term: Indefinite period contingent upon funding of the WASH program
Reports To: Senior Project Officer
Required no: One
Application Deadline: December 20, 2020
As a member of the Emergency WASH Response project (RAPID RESPONSE MECHANISM) for the Tigray conflict affected population project team, you will monitor and report on all project activities in support of Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work serving the poor and vulnerable. Your thorough and service-oriented approach will ensure that the project consistently applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve.
- Support the coordination and implementation of all assigned project activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices
- Undertake the implementation and the monitoring of water schemes maintenance and rehabilitation in different intervention areas.
- Follow up/Supervise activities under Emergency WASH response for conflict affected population in Tigray: maintenance and rehabilitation of water supply system, distribution of WASH NFIs and water treatment chemicals, hygiene promotion works, ensure the quantity and quality of water delivered met the standards.
- Undertake rapid assessment together with relevant stakeholders
- Coordinate working relationships with all project stakeholders, including, regional, zonal & woreda Water & DRM bureaus/offices, UNICEF and promote project activities and impact.
- Monitor and report any challenges and/or gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules. Assist partners in their efforts to reflect on project experiences.
- Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and assisting partners in their efforts to collect and analyze project data per specified mechanisms and tools. Collaborate with local partner(s) to prepare reports per established reporting schedule.
- Collect information on staff capacity needs and technical assistance needs of partner organizations and monitor capacity building and technical support activities to ensure effective impact.
- Lead smooth hand over the process for completed WASH response activities and support the implementation of PIM/PDM.
- Complete project documentation for assigned activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practices.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in project support. Experience in the field of Emergency WASH and for an NGO would be a plus.
- Additional experience may substitute for some education.
Personal Skills and Abilities
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with the ability to make sound judgment
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners and community members
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
- Experience in participatory action planning and community engagement.
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data preferred.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Required/Desired Foreign Language : English
Travel Required: Willingness to travel and spend his/her 75% time in the field and away from the post to ensure quality programming.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: WASH, CR, HOPs, COPs, Finance
External: USAID, Government ministries, universities, partners, host agencies, private sectors
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Professional Growth