JSI Research and Training Institute Inc. / Universal Immunization through Improving Family Health Services (UI-FHS) is designed and implemented in collaboration with the Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH). The goal of UI-FHS is to strengthen the capacity of Regional Health Bureaus (RHBs) to deliver quality routine immunization services to all women and children living in the regions.
The Regional Immunization Advisor (RIA) is expected to provide technical assistance to the Regional Health Bureau for Routine Immunization (RI) system strengthening and to oversee strategic and routine implementation of Reaching Every District through use of Quality Improvement tools (RED-QI) tools. He/she will ensure that the project is implemented in close collaboration with and building capacity of the RHB and select Zonal health department (ZHD). The RIA will be responsible for regular and active engagement with the RHB in building their capacity to strengthen the regions routine immunization system. The RIA will be the supervisor for all project staff in the region and ensures the project is implemented as per the work plan and financial and administrative policies of the project. He/she will be under the supervision of the Regional Advisor (RA) with oversight and direction from the Technical Director, Senior Immunization Program Advisor, Senior Immunization Expert, Finance & Operations Director and Senior HSS Advisor. The position requires willingness to travel up to 35% of the time to zones/woredas within the assigned region.
REGIONAL TECHNICAL SUPPORT & ADVOCACY
- Lead regional advocacy and engagement with RHB & ZHDs as well as non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and civil society organizations (CSOs).
- Ensure relations with RHBs are strong and the RHB/ZHD/WoHO is engaged in the implementation and monitoring of RED-QI in their zones/woredas
- Take a leadership role in regional level working groups: child survival, MNCH, immunization and immunization related coordination and planning meetings, task forces, technical working groups and other similar events at the regional, Zonal and Woreda level. Whenever the opportunity arises, ensure UI-FHS is well represented in those forum.
- Work with regional and zonal health authorities and other partners to develop and implement capacity building strategies on improvement of routine immunization in the region (this will include technical support for training and facilitation of RED & RED-QI tools, tracking human resource capability for immunization, etc)
- Ensure the joint action plan of JSI/UI-FHS and RHB capacity building plan is implemented as planned and monitor its progress regularly
- Identify, advocate, promote and share lessons learned and promising practices of UI-FHS project with the RHB, ZHD and other partners. Work with RHB communication teams to document and highlight best practices from the region
- Conduct regular coordination meetings with WHO and other relevant implementing partners active in the region
- Support planning and organization of regional level forums and workshops around RI
- Support regional engagement from Addis (i.e. communication visit, orientation, capacity building assessment’s, etc.)
- Provide technical support to strengthen regional bi-annual review meetings, regional level ISS, PBSS and support for microplanning
- Promote coordinated planning and information sharing for immunization activities by partners or facilities outside of the PHCU system
- Other duties as assigned.
RED-QI IMPLEMENTATION IN SELECT ZONE
- Responsible for overall management of RED-QI implementation in selected zone in the region
- Ensure planned capacity building activities to ZHD are implemented as per the plan
- Ensure Woreda health offices in the zone receives needed support on RED-QI approach through empowering the ZHD
- Provide strategic oversight and leadership of all technical and managerial activities of the project within the region, in close collaboration with Addis technical and management team
- Supervise and provide technical and managerial guidance to the region. Ensure annual performance target is set and is reviewed regularly, provide capacity building as needed and manage staff as per the policy of JSI/UI-FHS
- Ensure the UI-FHS project is implemented as per the work plan and monitor its progress including monthly review and update of activity tracker, regular regional meetings, support regional trainings, etc.
- Compile, document and contribute regular written reports to UI-FHS and participate in periodic program review meetings.
- Responsible for financial oversight of the project in the region according to the donor and JSI/Ethiopia's financial rules and regulations
- Ensure vehicle and other resources are managed according to JSI/UI-FHS administrative procedures
- Maintain an open and regular communications with the central UI-FHS team and maintain a productive working relationship with immunization partners operating in the region
Note: the job description might be revised based on the need as the project implementation evolve.
- Master of public health (MPH) or other equivalent qualifications
- Minimum of eight years working experience in immunization and public health, preferably routine immunization experience. Minimum of six years supervisory/team leader experience
- Demonstrated experience working with the Regional Health Bureau and involvement in technical working groups (must understand local government structures). Experience within the region is advantage.
- Proven ability to use adult learning techniques to train health workers
- Strong organizational, management and communication skills to influence partners and decision makers at the national, regional, zonal and woreda level
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player, to lead teams, and to organize multiple activities simultaneously
- Demonstrated understanding of public health issues and challenges in resource poor settings
- Preferably, familiarity with quality improvement applications in the health System
- Computer skills that include Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access
- Ability to produce accurate data and reports
- Fluency in English and Amharic. Knowledge of the official language of the Region of assignment is strong asset
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 35% of the time to regions, zones, and woredas
How to Apply
Interested applicants please submit your application and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Make sure that you write “Position title & Location” on the subject line of your application.