- Company: Jhpiego Ethiopia Country Office
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Oromia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Ethiopia
Jhpiego is saving the lives of mothers and babies, and transforming health care systems in communities, regions and countries—leading to overall improvements in quality of life. That’s the ripple effect of Jhpiego’s work, through both large-scale and smaller, unique projects on the ground.
– working with people in local communities, health care policymakers, funders and colleagues
– forging trust, gaining true friendship and empowering people
– never giving up, never says “impossible”; tireless and relentless, staying the course
– for all people, whoever they are, wherever they live
– in all that is done—rigor in science, in proven interventions, in the highest-quality standards, in being accountable for the resources provided.
Title: Regional Maternal and Newborn Health (MNH) Officer (#1) Grade: D
Department: Ethiopia Country Office, Addis Ababa May 2019
Duty Station: Oromia Region, Arsi Zone
Summary Scope of Work:
The Regional Maternal and New Born Health Officer will provide skill expertise and guidance to government health care providers working at health center level particularly at Antenatal Care unit to implement Child Investment Fund Foundation project, Health Extension Workers working at the health post level, and community coordinators to work with the community in relation to strengthen Antenatal Care services coverage and improve quality. He/she train, mentor and coach health care providers under the project areas. Work with Health Extension workers and community coordinators to early identify and engage for early ANC services. The candidate will also collaborate with Jhpiego central staffs in planning, organizing and conducting capacity building trainings to health care providers working in the selected health institutions (Health centers and Health post level). She/he are also expected to document best practices, lessons learned to communicate project implementations to stakeholders.
- Position Reports to: Community Coordinator
- Position Supervised : None
All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of their responsibilities are expected to:
- Model the mission and values stated above.
- Actively participate in the business development process.
- Actively participate in the knowledge sharing and transfer process.
- Make responsible decisions that result in both time and cost containment.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the ENAT project in assigned implementation sites
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to Health Extension Workers, Community coordinators HDAs and other health workers within the assigned and targeted sites
- Ensure that all ENAT activities are being implemented in line with the projects objectives, timeline and expected outcome.
- Orient and train Health Extension workers, Community coordinators and Health Development Armey (HDAs)on how to identify pregnant mothers early;
- Manage consistent and continuous refresher trainings to HEWs and other health workers
- Monitor to strengthen the existed antenatal care service in the region
- Participate in operational planning exercise, workshops, and other key meetings
- Ensures the delivery of high quality ANC service to pregnant mothers as per the national Antenatal Care protocol
- Document lessons learnt and challenges in the implementation of Antenatal Care (ANC) mainly point of care testing and propose possible solutions
- Organize on the job training, refresher training and training of trainers courses with Jhpiego Ethiopia team
- Conduct monitoring visits and track service delivery data
- Compiles and submits monthly activity reports
- Coach and mentor HEW, Community coordinators and Midwives working at ANC unit and at community level
- Ensure Health Centers (HC)) are well equipped with necessary supplies
- Manage and ensure that each pregnant woman is provided with the needed service at every project site
- In collaboration with the M&E Point person ensure all activities are monitored continuously
- Make sure that all necessary reporting and documentation are executed in a timely fashion
Required Skills, Attitudes and Attributes :
- Able to work independently and to initiate MNH related activities
- Passionate about MNH activities in particular in increasing ANC uptake and quality of services in the community
- Deep understanding of policies and guidelines in the area of MNH mainly ANC service provision
- Strong knowledge of ANC and related standard documents
- Good interpersonal/communication skills and a strong team player
- Strong motivation to support the community by ensuring quality service provision at HC and HP level
- Community level work experience is a plus advantage
- Strong writing and reporting skills are a must
- Interested to work in selected program implementation woredas and zones
- Proficiency in speaking, writing and reading in local language is MUST . Also, English and Amharic are required
Required Education and Qualifications:
- BSc. In midwifery/Nursing with MPH as a plus
- Five years MNH related services mainly at Antenatal Care (ANC), Labor & Delivery (L&D), and Pre-Natal Care (PNC) unites
- Experienced in community services in close collaboration with health extension workers and HDA
- Work experience in NGO is advantageous
- Computer literacy is required
How to Apply
Applicant are expected to STRICTLY follow the below listed application procedures:
1. Only qualified and interested applicants can submit application letter and well written curriculum vitae saved in one complied PDF format
2. Applicants are required to state their current basic salary in their application letter
3. Applicants must make sure their application document is saved by their full name
4. CREDENTIALS OR WORK CERTIFICATES must not be submitted at this point
5. The job position being applied for must be explicitly stated in the application letter
6. Application being submitted via email must have the job position title clearly stated in the subject line
7. Please use E-mail HREthiopia@jhpiego.org to submit your applications.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package. The winning candidate is expected to start within short period after finalization of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is May 23, 2019.