Regional Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (Oromia, Bahir Dar, Hawassa and Mekelle)
Summary Scope of Work:
The Regional M&E officer provides data management support across all Jhpiego Ethiopia programs. S/he plays an active role in collecting and analyzing data, designing data management and evaluation tools and/or systems to improve Jhpiego country program and preparing compelling reports on achievements. S/he also supports the M&E team in the country office, as well as other program and technical staff in the development, implementation and quality assurance for program learning, monitoring and evaluation systems, annual work plan preparations & activities that support Jhpiego’s program implementation, data-based program decision-making and reporting results as needed at all levels. The M&E officer also provides technical assistance and on-the-job mentoring support to the Higher Education Institutions, Education Information Management Units, RHB/HRHIS units to gather data, analysis and report results.
- Position Reports To : Regional Program Manager having functional responsibility to M & E Advisor
- Positions Supervised : None
Responsibilities: All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of responsibilities are expected to
- model the mission and values stated above
- participate in the business development process
- contribute to the knowledge sharing and transfer process
- make responsible decisions that result in time and cost containment and clear accountability
- Provide high quality data management support to the health workforce improvement program (HWIP) in his/her assigned region;
- Contributes to the development and implementation of performance monitoring plan (PMP) to capture program performance and results aiming to produce, manage and retain the health workforce;
- Contributes to the design and leadership efforts to link universities, RHSCs, and facility-based quality improvement data and processes with health outcomes using facility-based services statistics;
- Provide quality technical support HIEs to have and use dashboards for data visualization and use data for decision making.
- Compiles implementation plan and programmatic reports developed and generated in the region;
- Contributes in leading efforts to monitor and evaluate program interventions and documents results at regional level;
- Represents Jhpiego technical expertise in professional circles through meetings, conferences and presentations in the areas of M&E when delegated by the regional program manager or Snr. M&E, and Research Advisor;
- Mentors the HRHIS, HEI Information/registrar unit, M&E professionals & persons in the region in data collection and analysis; and report writing
Program Management & Implementation
- Establish seamless collaboration with universities, RHSCs, RHB and its respective counterparts and regional TVET bureau and OCACA agency to identify strengths and weaknesses in the current M&E system for HR and health systems improvement;
- Lead the documentation of program learning initiatives in his/her assigned region;
- Communicates and ensures data flow with Monitoring and Evaluation colleagues in Ethiopia in collaboration with other regional technical advisors/officers, facilitates review meetings and participate in joint supportive supervision to supported universities, colleges and health facilities in the region;
- Assists the Snr. M&E, R Adv. in developing the M&E plan for Jhpiego Ethiopia programs, in identifying programmatic successes, challenges and lessons learned and in assuring appropriate flow of data;
- Assists the Snr. M&E, R Adv. Advisor in developing and implementing surveys and public health evaluations under Jhpiego Ethiopia programs;
- Collects, compiles and enters data on pertinent information related to training and human capacity development efforts, including faculty development and in-service training;
- Reviews and edits data as needed as part of monitoring and evaluation strategies for Jhpiego Ethiopia;
- In collaboration with the M&E team in the country office, plans, constructs and maintains databases for data storage, manipulation and retrieval;
- Improves database management systems and/or develops programs to maintain files, performs data validation, etc.;
- Administers and maintains a specific and/or administrative management databases including Training Information Management System (TIMS) when the online version of the database is finalized and administrative access are granted by the central database administrator;
- Coordinates data entry activities and develop research strategies and program modules to facilitate data retrieval;
- Establishes and/or approves all data elements, definition, code and standards;
- Develops and maintains quality control and data verification techniques;
- Works with RHBs to strengthen HRIS database to facilitate collection and use of outcome indicators to manage human resources in the national system;
- Works with universities and health science colleges to strengthen registrar systems for appropriate recoding of student profiles;
- Participates in designing pilot studies/assessment and research impacts.
- Works with Regional Program Manager in collecting and reporting of data against the indicators to the country office;
- Participates in key M&E and research technical working groups discussion;
- Provides technical assistance to health professional associations for M&E capacity-building activities;
- Keeps up-to-date on program activities so as to respond to requests for assistance from technical staff and provide input on monitoring and evaluation systems and processes;
- Compiles reports for donors, technical staff and external audiences (e.g. for presentations), checking for data accuracy;
- Analyzes data with an eye to discrepancy and proactively follow-up on inconsistencies, errors and missing data so as to achieve high level of data accuracy and quality; follow-up with relevant Jhpiego staff person and counterpart focal persons to address data quality issues;
- Supports backup and recovery procedures.
- Develops and maintains excellent relationships with colleagues and RHB, HEIs, TVET/COC agencies, FMoH, USAID, CDC and other partners;
- Contributes on proposal design and writing when opportunities arise.
Knowledge Management and Sharing
- Coordinates program learning efforts in the region;
- Facilitates the acquisition and application of the latest in computer technology to meet needs of Jhpiego/Ethiopia;
- Produces routine and ad hoc reports and shares them internally as appropriate for program decision;
- Facilitates learning through presentations and other means on M&E.
Education & Qualifications:
- Degree in Statistics, public health, MIS or related fields; preferably with master’s degree in public health, health informatics or M/E
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in similar position/s; preferably in managing M&E aspects of health programs, familiarity to donors such USAID rules and regulations, and indicators;
- Experience in data analysis, report writing and capacity building.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work in a multi-disciplinary team setup; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with MOH, NGOs/USAID, and other relevant partners;
- Must possess good technical skills to troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve hardware and software problems, thereby maximizing the capabilities of project computer resources;
- Must possess thorough of a specialty area (e.g. applications system design, data base management, computer equipment analysis, system software technology in the assigned area and related computer equipment to function as a technical authority in these areas;
- Must have good working knowledge of computer programs for which data is being input, i.e. Epi Info, SPSS, STATA, etc.
- Must possess working knowledge of Jhpiego regulations, procedures and policies controlling data input;
- Fluency in English & Amharic, while knowledge of local language for the assigned region is mandatory.
- Ability to travel up to field sites.
How to Apply
Applicant are expected to STRICTLY follow the below listed application procedures:
- Only qualified and interested applicants can submit application letter and well written curriculum vitae saved in one complied PDF format.
- Applicants are required to state their current basic salary in their application letter.
- Applicants must make sure their application document is saved by their full name in PDF format.
- Applicants must specify the location applied for if the vacancy is for more than one location.
- CREDENTIALS OR WORK CERTIFICATES MUST NOT BE SUBMITTED .
- The job position being applied for must be explicitly stated in the application letter.
- Applicants must use this E-mail [email protected] to submit applications and make sure to state the job position title applying for in the subject line.
- Applications not fulfilling the requirements stated above will automatically be rejected.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package. The winning candidate is expected to start within short period after finalization of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is October 27, 2020.