- Company: IntraHealth International
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - Engineering Jobs in EthiopiaIT/Telecom Jobs in Ethiopia
IntraHealth’s Digital Health team is seeking a Software Engineer to support iHRIS development and deployment in Ethiopia under the Digital Health Activity (DHA), a 5-year Activity funded by USAID and primed by JSI. iHRIS is an open-source human resource information system used for workforce planning and management. The Activity objectives include: 1) Support information technology systems and data repository at all levels; 2) Build a culture of data use; and 3) improve capacity and governance of MOH health information systems management. As a key partner on the JSI-led consortium, IntraHealth leads HRIS activities, including supporting the Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) in developing the next steps in its evolution, training stakeholders and building capacity for data use, and ensuring local ownership so that the system can be further customized by the FMOH.
The Software Engineer will support the installation, customization, and continued software development of the HRIS, providing technical support and mentorship to users and stakeholders from the FMOH to the woredas. S/he will contribute to writing documentation, developing training materials, and will participate in training sessions. S/he will provide support services to address user and local issues.
The Software Engineer is a part of the IntraHealth’s Digital Health team as well as the Digital Health Activity Development team. S/He will work closely with Software Engineers, Program Managers, and other staff across these teams, as well as FMOH stakeholders
Software Development – 75%
- Conduct requirements gathering to clarify needs, working with FMOH stakeholders, users, other software engineers, and program staff, and communicate effectively across these teams
- Support all aspects of software development, including prototyping, customization, documentation, testing, deployment, bug fixes, site improvements, and enhancements
- Write efficient code using current web technologies and conduct source code reviews to assure quality and functionality, and optimize site code for maximum speed and scalability
- Use innovative techniques to solve challenging technical problems under diverse circumstances
- Produce technologies that are responsive to the user experience
Technical Support – 25%
- Provide user and administrator training and support
- Provide technical support services to users
- Troubleshoot and resolve problems
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering (or relevant field) with 4 years of relevant experience or Master’s degree with 2 years of relevant experience as follows:
- Minimum 2 years of experience with SQL, NoSQL and XML databases and data exchange standards like FHIR, CSD, and mCSD.
- Minimum 2 years of experience deploying and maintaining software on local Linux servers and on cloud platforms in low-bandwidth environments
- Minimum 2 years engaging with Ministry of Health stakeholders and adapting software to business needs
- Demonstrated experience with software development methodology and release processes, especially working on the process of software development using agile methodology
- Demonstrated project management and time management skills; must be highly organized and detail-oriented
- Written and spoken proficiency in Amharic and English
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years of experience in front and back-end web development
- Use of project management tools like JIRA, Trello, Slack
- Position is in an office setting and may involve sitting for most of the day.
- Position may require travel within Ethiopia.
- Position requires lifting up to 10 lbs. occasionally.
Why Join IntraHealth?
IntraHealth International is a global health nonprofit that has worked for over 40 years in more than 100 countries. We improve the performance of health workers and strengthen the systems in which they work so that everyone everywhere has the health care they need to thrive.
IntraHealth’s programs generate long-term social and economic impact to keep communities around the world healthy, strong, and prosperous. And our dynamic staff are passionate about global health and committed to excellence.
Join us. The future of global health starts here.
Summary of Benefits IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.