VSO is an international Charity organization that strives to create a fair world for everyone by bringing lasting change through volunteerism. This unique approach to development puts people at the center of development, empowering them to drive change for sustainable improvement in their own lives and their communities.
VSO started operating in Ethiopia in 1998 supporting the education sector development and later it has expanded its sectoral coverage to Health, Livelihoods and Youth programs. VSO-Ethiopia has been implementing an inclusive basic education program in Metekel Zone of Benishgul Gumuz Region since 2016 for increased inclusion and improved learning outcomes for most marginalized children in 11 schools in three districts. Following the successful the completion of the project, VSO has decided to scale up and implement innovative interventions for the upcoming years (August 2020 -October, 2021) in nearby location which is Chagni town located in Awi zone of Amhara regional state while at the same time consolidating and implementing project closure activities aimed at ensuring sustainability at the previous project area i.e. Metekel Zone of Benishgul Gumuz Region.
The new project which will be implemented in Chagni Town is called Quality Inclusive Education in Times of COVID-19 (QIE-TC19). This project will target 7 schools in Chagni town, Awi Zone of Amhara Region. These schools continually host huge number of displaced school children that moved to the area because of long standing conflict in the adjacent region. The overall goal of the project is to support increased inclusion and improved learning outcomes for most marginalized children in seven schools in Chagni town and contribute to the prevention and control of COVID-19 Pandemic in target schools and the community at large in Chagni Town, Awi Zone of Amhara Region.
VSO Ethiopia currently seek to hire an experienced Researcher Coordinator to undertake a situation analysis and baseline study for the purpose of establishing a benchmark of the impact, outcome and output indicators outlined in the project log frame.
Scope of the assignment
- Data Collection: The research coordinator provide and leadership in the overall research study : research design, data collection tools development, qualitative an quantitative data collection the target schools and partner institutions in Chagni and Injibara towns through participating in interview, focus group discussion, anecdotal case stories and gathering additional information from the students, teachers, and other education practitioners in target schools and institutions operating in the area and data analysis and report writing.
- Data Transcription and Summary: The research coordinator will also be involved in data summarization, transcription and translation.
The Research Coordinator will provide an overall leadership in managing tasks related to the baseline study according to the agreed time frame with VSO Ethiopia. The main responsibilities of the role will include the following:
- Design baseline study methodology for primary and secondary data collection.
- Design baseline study tools, research questionnaire for primary and secondary data collection in consultation with VSO Ethiopia education program team.
- Conduct desk review on relevant document including policies, law, sub-degrees, guidelines etc.
- Provide overall supervision of survey data collection.
- Develop database and provide quantitative and qualitative data entry and analysis.
- A detailed methodology on how the assignment will be conducted.
- Finalize and submit the survey report.
- Develop a clear and comprehensive work plan, outlining the major activities and implementation time schedule.
- Work in close collaboration with data collection team on the ground.
- Support the identification of key informants and interviewee together with stakeholders.
- Organize targeted focus group discussion in target schools ensuring the right compositions.
- Support secondary data review and gather additional information gaps when required.
- Involve and participate in the research tools development and agreement on a data analysis plan.
- Provide orientation and training for research assistants/data collectors.
- Actively participate during data transcription and summarization phases.
- Thoroughly involve during data collation, analysis and report writing.
- Produce final baseline report written in English with clear analysis of the quality of primary education with presentable formatting and layout.
The assignment requires a consultant with strong professional qualification and expertise and skills in education research. The requirements include:
- A minimum of post-graduate degree in Social Sciences, Policy Studies, Education or Development Studies with proven experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis.
- Proven competencies in the delivery, analysis and interpretation of educational performance tests.
- Prior experience of working with Ministry of Education; preferably in primary Education Systems including human rights, child rights and policy development
- Have adequate understanding of barriers to equity on and inclusiveness of basic education in the lines of gender physical disability, ethnicity and poverty.
- Extensive experiences in baseline research especially in the area of quality public education.
- Experiences in using participatory tools.
- Adequate knowledge of inclusive, learner-centered and active learning and teaching methods.
- Demonstrate strong understanding of education system, education law and policies, basic education preferably right to free, quality public education.
- Experiences using data analyses software e.g. SPSS, Epi Info, etc.
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Good command of English both writing and speaking.