- Help us end avoidable blindness in Ethiopia
- Assist us to strengthen local health systems
- Leading International Development Organization in the area of eye health
- 1 position based in Addis Ababa
The Fred Hollows Foundation is a development organization working in more than 25 countries. We help train and empower local eye doctors, nurses and health workers to create a sustainable system of care in the communities that need it most. The work we do has a very clear purpose: to make sure everyone, whether they are rich or poor, has access to high quality, affordable eye health.
We focus on preventable and treatable diseases such as cataract, trachoma and diabetic retinopathy. Our in-country work involves local training and providing affordable technology, so doctors, nurses and health care workers can recognize, diagnose, refer and treat eye problems in their communities. We use research to improve our understanding of avoidable blindness, then use our findings to implement strategies and advocate for change.
As part of our global efforts to eliminate blindness, The Fred Hollows Foundation (FHF) has been working in Ethiopia (the world’s most trachoma-endemic country) in its effort to eliminate trachoma.
About the Position
Reporting to the Country Director, the Safety & Security Coordinator will oversee the implementation of appropriate risk management strategies related to staff safety and security, provide high level of security awareness amongst staff members to make sure that security procedures and policies are implemented throughout The Fred Hollows Foundation Ethiopia (FHFE).
He/she will collaborate with Country Management Team to develop, prepare, update and implement safety and security policies and procedures in Ethiopia.
Specific responsibilities include:
- In tandem with Country Director and staff, lead the process of proper risk assessment that will enhance the adoption of the proper safety and security strategy for the Country, development of bespoke standard operating procedures (SOPs) and contingency plans to mitigate the risks for FHF Ethiopia Staff, Assets and the Brand.
- Under the guidance of the Country Director develop the country safety and security plan, country security strategy, and ensure that it is up-to-date, and update regularly as required.
- Ensure that the SOPs and Contingency plans developed are properly embedded and understood by staff.
- Advise the management on safety and security matters and follow up with the detailed and timely execution of the management decisions.
- Support the provision of safety and security training to all FHFE employees in a timely manner in order to enhance security awareness and promote a solid organizational safety and security culture.
- Support all aspects of travel security for both in-country travel and out of Ethiopia by FHF travellers.
- Evaluate and test evacuation/emergency plan including communication tree to ensure compatibility with existing FHFE plan.
- Audit office emergency plan to ensure effective implementation including rehearsal to assess staff familiarity with emergency measures.
- Consolidate security incident reports, analyse the information and make recommendations to the country management team.
- Communicate security status, updates, and actual or potential risks using established protocols.
To be successful in this role, we are seeking someone with the following experience and skills.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in international non-governmental or governmental organizations
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Safety & Security Management OR Bachelor’s Degree in Military Science/Security Science or related fields from a recognized institution
- Extensive work experience in international development sector in Ethiopia
- Strong communication skills including written and spoken English and the ability to write effectively for various audience.
- In-depth knowledge of security procedures and surveillance equipment.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills to be able to develop new initiatives, identify critical issues, build capacity and standardized process.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage a wide variety of relationships utilizing collaborative consultation, communication and negotiation skills.
- Profound report writing skills.
- High sense of integrity, ethics and confidentiality.
How to Apply
Applications should be made via our website: http://www.hollows.org/au/careers/current-vacancies and should include your resume and cover letter addressing all areas expressed in the ‘experience, skills & attributes’ section of the Role Purpose as well as details of your current and expected salary.
Alternatively, if you would like further information, please contact [email protected]
Applications close: June 01, 2021
The Fred Hollows Foundation is committed to protecting the rights of children in all areas where we work. Applicants are advised that The Foundation reserves the right to conduct police checks and other screening procedures to ensure we maintain and promote a child-safe environment.
The Fred Hollows Foundation – Ethiopia (FHF-E) has been re-registered and licensed by The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Organizations Of Civil Societies in accordance with the Organizations Of Civil Societies Proclamation No.1113/2019 and certificate number 2985, on May 20/2019.
T o be eligible to apply for this position you must have the appropriate right to work in Ethiopia.