About FHI 360:
FHI 360 is a non-profit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, and technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Social and Behavior Change (SBC) Adviser to Family Planning in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The SBC Advisor – Family Planning (FP) lead the development and implementation of FP -focused SBC activities, approaches, plan, tools, and materials. Provide FP SBC technical support and guidance on the development and implementation of the program. The SBC Advisor will work under the oversight of the SBC Director to provide high-quality FP SBC technical assistance through coordinated approaches with the project’s core partners, government, and community organizations based on the latest evidence and best practices.
- Provide SBC technical guidance to the development and implementation of the project’s SBC strategies and work plan activities to ensure the project’s interventions and approaches address identified FP/RH SBC needs and apply best practices related to RMNCH SBC
- With oversight from the SBC Director, lead the development and implementation of RMNCH -focused SBC plans, approaches, activities, tools and materials
- Provide FP/RH SBC technical assistance and guidance during the development and implementation of sub-national SBC plans, which will include capacity strengthening activities with partners, local government, and CSOs
- Work closely with the M&E team to ensure SBC monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning activities are of high quality and appropriately reflect standard FP/RH measures and indicators
- Generate new ideas and innovations in our approaches and thinking in relation to RMNCH SBC, drawing on existing evidence and best practices
- Foster a strong working relationship with the Government of Ethiopia, including serving as the focal point of contact for the Maternal and Child Health Directorate, to secure their technical input and support for the project’s strategies and plans
- Work closely with other RMNCH stakeholders and programs, particularly other United States Government implementing partners, to ensure they are effectively involved in the development and implementation of all RMNCH-related strategies, plans, activities, tools and materials, and to maximize coordination between USAID Healthy Behaviors and other USG-funded programs addressing RMNCH objectives
- Collaborate with government and USG implementing partners to identify and ensure that priority RMNCH SBC needs are being addressed by the project
- Work closely with the project’s core partners to strengthen their capacity in RMNCH SBC and ensure high quality project delivery
- Contribute to the development of project deliverables, including workplans, quarterly and annual reports, and success stories
- Other relevant duties as assigned
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Ensures appropriate and timely technical support for field projects.
- Ensures the quality of implemented technical activities and systems at all levels.
- Conducts routine coordination with employees and consultants, on-site and in the field.
- Strong knowledge and skills in a specific technical area/function and general understanding of concepts and principles of related technical areas/functions.
- Solid knowledge of standards for the technical area/field, operational processes and procedures, work, and task flow.
- Has the ability to manage projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Proficient writing and verbal communication skills.
- Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
- Ability to manage their own work to job and performance standards.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English fluent in host country language.
There are 31 FHI 360 development competencies, of greatest focus for this particular job will be:
- Project Management (Planning and Time Management) - Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks (sets objectives/goals/measures). Breaks down work into steps, schedules, task/people assignments. Marshals people, time, and resources efficiently. Arranges information in a useful manner and orchestrates multiple activities at once.
- People Management (Making Others Great) – Facilitate professional development of staff by providing challenging, learning assignments and opportunities. Shares and solicits feedback monthly at the very least. Helps establish compelling development plans. Assigns responsibility and accountability for tasks/decisions. Monitors process, progress, and results. Creates a climate in which people want to do their best.
- Creating and Managing Systems and Processes – Recognizes the need for standardization and balances client and organization need in systems design. Anticipates the effects of process change on people while optimizing task efficiency and simplicity.
- Employees are expected to possess or have high potential for the development of these three fundamental competencies.
Problem Solving & Impact:
Demonstrates the ability to assess needs within agreed upon duties and considers course of action best to meet those needs.
- Effectively applies knowledge of technical area to solve a range of problems.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches.
- Faulty decisions/ recommendations /failures to complete assignments will normally result in serious delays to assigned projects resulting in considerable expenditure of additional time, resources, and funds.
- Decisions and actions impact primarily workflow, project processes and timeframes.
- Problems encountered are varied, requiring review of practices and precedents to resolve.
- Problem solving involves evaluating and resolving discrepancies with data, analyses, processes, etc. within prescribed guidelines.
- Policies or guidelines exist for most problems; others must be referred to by a supervisor or more senior professional.
- May supervise junior staff members.
- Coordinates own workflow and sets individual priorities.
- Works under general guidelines for completion and accuracy as determined by the supervisor.
- Accomplishes results through lower-level staff managers or through experienced staff who exercise independence in their assignments.
- May manage a centralized functional area of activity.
- Serves as mentor to more inexperienced technical staff.
- Typically reports to SBC Director.
- Master’s degree or its international equivalent in in public health, health, marketing, communication and/or related field.
- 7-9 years of related work experience for Master's degree and 9-11 years of related work experience for Bachelor's Degree
- Demonstrated experience providing SBC technical support to projects of a similar size and scope, ensuring high quality SBC outputs and impact and planning for the successful implementation of SBC activities
- Subject matter experience and/or expertise in RMNCH
- Expertise in the design and implementation of strategies that employ a range of SBC approaches, including mass media, social media, community engagement and mobilization, interpersonal communication, advocacy, provider behavior change, and/or behavioral economics
- Proficient writing and verbal communication skills; must be fluent in both Amharic and English
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders and organizations
- Must be self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management
- Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office)
Typical Physical Demands :
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift/move up to 5 lbs.
Technology to be Used :
- Personal Computer/Laptop, Microsoft applications (i.e., Office 365, SharePoint, Skype/Zoom/Teams), cell phone/mobile technology, and standard office equipment.
- 10% - 25%
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
How to Apply
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package , professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
And interested candidates are encouraged to apply through SBC Advisor- Family Planning (myworkdayjobs.com) on or before August 04, 2022. Please don't apply through Ethiojobs.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.