The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) was established by the government decree of July 8 th , 1935 following the Italian invasion of Ethiopia in 1934. Beginning September 25 th , 1935, ERCS is a member of International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies ushering the fundamental principles of the movement, which includes Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality
The Secretary-General is the chief executive officer of ERCS, responsible for the leadership of the Society and provide strategic direction, clarity and guidance in the delivery of its mission “to prevent and alleviate human suffering…’’ and promote, develop, and manage programs and activities. And, represent ERCS in national and international fora.
ERCS encourages applicants with a proven record of adaptive leadership skills in a demanding, complex and culturally diversified environment. And, profound knowledge and stature for resource mobilization, socializing and promoting ERCS, its programs and calling to save lives and livelihoods of marginalized and vulnerable citizens from man-made and natural calamities.
- Permanent contract under the Ethiopian Labor Law
- Preferred starting date: October 15 – November 1 st , 2020
- Remuneration is negotiable
I. Personal qualifications
- Academic qualification
- Second degree and above in Management/ Public Administration/ Business Administration/Public Health/ Social Work/ Sociology/ Social Anthropology/Governance and Development Studies/ Rural & Local Development Studies and 12 years related work experience, out of which 5 years in higher managerial position(s) Or
- First degree in Management/ Public Administration/ Business Administration/ Public Health/ Social Work/ Sociology/ Governance and Development Studies/ Social Anthropology/Rural & Local Development Studies and 14 years related work experience, out of which 6 years in higher managerial position(s).
- Essential requirements
- knowledge and understanding of international organizations
- knowledge and experience of NGO operation and culture
- knowledge and experience of working on various international human rights instruments
- Essential requirements
- A bridging leader
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to Organize, motivate and lead a team
- Ability to communicate and network with stakeholders
- Enhancing the confidence and cooperation of Red Cross Family
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines with limited resources
- Ability to work and speak publicly effectively in English and French or any other international language is a plus
- Computer literacy and ability to be self-supporting
- Proven experience of leading to success
- Proven experience of working with various stakeholders in humanitarian field
- Proven experience of working in NGOs’ coalitions and networks
- Experience of leading through disruptions
- Experience of accountability to a board elected by members
- Flexibility and impartiality
- Willingness and ability to work irregular hours
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently within the country and outside of the country
Ability to be politically impartial and uphold ERCS values in the exercise of duties
How to Apply
We encourage all interested persons, particularly women to apply for this position. Accordingly, please send by email :
- A motivation letter (one page) explaining why you are interested in the position and think you have the right profile for the job
- Your CV
- Any references you may have
Your complete application should be addressed to:
Ethiopian Red Cross Society
Email: [email protected]
Deadline to apply: 15 September, 2020
We will acknowledge receipt of your application.
Only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
We will keep the whole selection process confidential. When the recruitment process will be completed, we will destroy all applications except the documents received from the selected candidate.
If you have any questions, please send an e-mail to the above address (no phone calls related to the application).