- CONCERN has been implementing an Emergency Nutrition Programme in Gambella since 2014, with South Sudanese refugees. Concern currently carries out nutrition programming for refugees in Pugnido camp and employs a team of approximately 70 people.
- CONCERN seeks to employ an Area Coordinator based in Pugnido to manage and develop the Concern programme in the Gambella area. This shall be done in collaboration/ consultation with the relevant stakeholders including national, regional and local level health offices and partners. The post holder will also be responsible for representing Concern and coordinating with key stakeholders in nutrition programs at Regional level and ensuring Concern maintains a strong profile in the area.
Duties and responsibilities
Overall management of the implementation of existing nutrition and small scale livelihoods programme in Pugnido camp
· Oversight of support functions to ensure that Concern’s operations run smoothly and efficiently
· Ensure that programme implementation is within the framework of the Ethiopian government policies and regulations, the organization’s strategic plan, sectoral policies and strategies and as outlined in the respective programme documents
· Develop new programming and assist in securing new funding for the Gambella programme
· Represent Concern at coordination meetings in Pugnido and Gambella town
· Network, maintain communication and share experience with relevant departments within Concern, partner organizations and other organizations to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of project activities, to raise the organizational profile and promote best practices
· Major Duties and Responsibilities
· Strategic and Programme Management
· Support the Programme Director and the HO Programme Coordinator as needed in ensuring that programmes remain on track and that activities are implemented in line with the project plans
· Solve any bottlenecks that are impeding the implementation of activities at the local level
· Together with the programme team, develop and scale up the health & nutrition project to achieve increased coverage of CMAM and the up-take of improved IYCF
· Contribute to the scale up of the livelihoods project in Pugnido in line with programme strategy and recommendations
· Work with the PD to develop the current programme in Pugnido and to expand the programme considering both the refugee and host community population
· Ensure that programme teams are meeting on a weekly and monthly basis and that minutes of the meetings are documented and shared
· Ensure that all Concern mainstreaming policies are incorporated into all programme planning and implementation
· Contribute to the development of programme proposals, budgets and concept notes
· Ensure the submission of good quality and timely reports for Concern, donors and government
Networking and Coordination
· Represent Concern at different forums in Pugnido and Gambella and ensure a strong organisational profile with UN, NGO and Government stakeholders
· Network, maintain communication and share experience with relevant organizations to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of project activities and promotion best practices.
· Overall management responsibility for the Pugnido team
· Directly line manage the senior Pugnido team, both programme and support staff
· Reinforce the matrix management structure and assist in ensuring strong communication and working relationships between Pugnido based staff and HO matrix managers
· Carry out performance development reviews (PDR) of direct reports, setting objectives and ensuring they are regularly reviewed
· Ensure that the PDR process is effectively carried out for all team members
· Coordinate with HR at Head Officer and the PD to ensure capacity building and development of staff.
· Hold weekly management meetings and share the minutes with the SMT
· Hold regular team meetings to discuss issues and ensure strong communication
· Assist in the recruitment of staff as necessary
· Ensure that all HR policies and procedures are followed
· Contribute to ensuring a good team spirit within the Gambella programme
· Ensure strong communication with other implementing partners within Pugnido camp in order to improve integrated multi sectoral programming for the camp population
· Establish and maintain cordial working relationship with partners, local and regional government bodies, NGOs and collaborating line bureaus
- Develop, plan and monitor the budget and activities of the programme, ensuring that individual projects are kept within budget and that any expenditure that is off track is reported and addressed immediately.
- Review monthly management accounts and ensure budgets are utilized as per plan and following standard financial procedures
- Ensure that all finance policies and procedures are followed within the Gambella programme
- Ensure that teams prepare procurement plans and that they are implemented in a timely manner by logistics staff
- Ensure that all logistics policies and procedures are followed including procurement ,transport, asset management and warehousing
- As a Security Focal Person of the organization regularly monitor the security situation, hold security meetings with the security focal group and report any security threats or incidents to HQ immediately
Emergency Response :
Concern is committed to responding to emergencies efficiently and effectively in order to help affected people meet their basic needs, alleviate suffering and maintain their dignity. To this end, when emergencies strike and the Ethiopia Programme is to respond, all staff are required to actively participate in the response, regardless of location and contribute to the efforts aimed at achieving the humanitarian objective of the organization.
- Take a lead in ensuring that the area office develops a gender sensitive working environment
- Ensure that organizational conversations take place within the regional office and sub offices as per the plan and actively participate in these conversations
- Actively participate as a member of the Gender Working Group at the regional office and ensure the GWG ToR is fulfilled
- Ensure that Gender Champions in the regional office have the time and space to successfully carry out their GC role
- Submit a quarterly gender equality report to the PD and Gender Equality Coordinator
- Support local government and other partners in understanding Concerns’ gender equality strategy and gender sensitive programing approach
- Ensure the representation of Concern Ethiopia in external gender related forums as required.
- Perform any other duties as requested by the Programme Director or senior management team.
Concern Code of Conduct and its Associated Policies
· Concern's Code of Conduct (CCoC) and its associated policies; the Programme Participant Protection Policy, the Child Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from exploitation and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, consultants, contractors, visitors to the programme and partner organizations, and the standards of behaviour expected of them. In this context staff have a responsibility to the organisation to strive for and maintain the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct in their workplace in accordance with Concern's core values and mission. Concern's Code of Conduct and its associated policies have been appended to your Contract for your signature. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct you demonstrate that you have understood their content and agree to conduct yourself in accordance with the provisions of these two documents. A breach of this policy will result in disciplinary action up to, and including, dismissal.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
What we offer
· A competitive salary and benefit package
· Excellent medical benefits (100% cover including dependents)
· 20 days annual leave
26 weeks (paid) maternity leave, 18 weeks (unpaid) parental leave
Education, Qualifications & Experience Required :
· Relevant Degree (health, nutrition, livelihoods, rural development, humanitarian assistance, refugee studies)
· Experience of nutrition programming is a distinct advantage
· A minimum of 5 years’ experience managing inter departmental teams
· A minimum of 3 years NGO experience
· Experience working in IDPs and/or refugees setting and in isolated rural areas a strong advantage
· Experience in managing staff and ability to capacity build and manage local staff in a mature and impartial manner
· Experience in systems and following organisational policies and procedures
Computer skills including database management, Microsoft Word and Excel
Special Skills, Aptitude or Personality Requirements :
· Excellent English communication skills (verbal and written)
· Able to work in insecure environments and live in confined areas
· Respectful of security rules
· Dynamic and willing to take initiatives to complete assigned tasks and deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
· Excellent communication and presentation skills
· Ability to delegate, manage time and prioritize tasks while coping with a broad range of programmatic and technical demands
· Strong analytical and problem solving abilities
· Ability to effectively represent Concern with external stakeholders
Empathy with Concern’s Vision, Mission, Goals and Objectives
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send non-returnable C.V., application letter outlining how their experience and education fit this vacancy, please note that no need to submit your supporting documents at this stage:
Ethiojobs.net OR Concern Ethiopia, Human Resource Department
P.O. Box 2434, Addis Ababa.
Apply in person at our Office in Addis Ababa or Gambella Coordination OfficeOnly short listed candidates will be contacted