About The IRC
We are, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international Non-Governmental organizations, providing relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is seeking dynamic, analytical, and highly motivated individual for the position of Senior EH/WASH MEAL Manager for IRC’s office in Addis Ababa. The ideal candidate has worked for an (I)NGO in the programs department (e.g. design, management, monitoring) and has concrete experience with monitoring and evaluation, and tracking systems and processes, especially in WASH.
The IRC is implementing multiple grants funded mainly by UNHCR, EU, USAID, ECHO, CDC, UNICEF, and others hence the position will undertake the Monitoring, Evaluation, accountability and learning actions under these grants. Additionally, the MEAL Manager contributes to the overall program quality through the coordination, and implementation of enhanced monitoring and evaluation, accountability, and learning strategies; the emphasis is on streamlining processes and tools for efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability throughout the project cycle across the IRC’s various sectors and grants. The MEAL Manager will fully utilize and work in line with IRC’s guidelines such as Monitoring for Action, the Indicator Selection Tool, Outcome and Evidence Framework and the Client Responsiveness strategy.
The position is based in Addis Ababa with 50% travel to the field sites for assistance, support and monitoring of program activities.
Key Job functions/responsibilities:
- Lead all aspects of the grant performance indicators of the EH program to ensure the program is implemented according to agreed grant indicators and targets, and satisfaction of clients and donors.
- Conduct regular monitoring of physical progress of activities and internal evaluations through annual KPC surveys, amongst others.
- Review performance indicators in proposals development and concept notes in coordination with the EH team, and Grants team.
- Monitor – and ensure EH staff have the capacity and understand tools and timelines Provide EH coordinator with the resources and support need to effectively advise field teams, and to identify mistakes and initiate the required corrective actions.
- Regularly assess progress across the EH program and flag delays through EH staff deployments, resource mobilization, and performance management mechanisms, engaging other departments and the senior management team as appropriate.
- Accurately collect, clean and compile routine M&E data to report progress towards project objectives and other assessments as outlined in the M&E plan. Data will be collected on project outcomes and outputs, using developed monitoring tools and digital data collection KOBO software.
- Ensure that beneficiary feedback for all projects is adequately captured, analyzed, and responded to by program teams in line with IRC’s Client Responsiveness initiative.
- Work with IRC MEAL Coordinator, as well as information and communication technology (ICT) staff at HQ or in the regional office on the use of technology for improving M&E systems.
- Capture Learning, document and disseminate internally and externally in collaboration with the EH Coordinator and MEAL Coordinator and participate in learning events as relevant .
- Lead evaluation efforts such as emergency real-time evaluations, internal end-of-project evaluations, impact studies, case studies as needed.
- Together with the MEAL Coordinator, facilitate quarterly and annual data reviews and reflection sessions as specified in the M&E frameworks to track progress and agree on corrective action together with the program team.
- Coordinate and conduct capacity building for different project staff and partner organizations where appropriate on monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning to improve knowledge and skills in project cycle management. Trainings will be based on training needs assessments and these may include needs assessments, qualitative and quantitative methods of data collection, data analysis, presentation and interpretation of data and reporting
- Conduct regular visits to field sites to provide oversight, coaching and mentoring for project staff and making sure that the set standards and procedures are implemented effectively and meet the highest quality standards.
Leadership and Working Relationship
Reporting line : Position reports to EH coordinator and MEAL coordinator (Management in Partnership)
Staff Management: Not directly managing staff but collaborating with the EH and MEAL team in Addis Ababa as well as in the field.
External Working relationship
Externally, Partners, government ministries/agencies, clusters Leads and other engaged in Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning.
- A university degree in statistics, social sciences, public health and economics however experience can substitute qualification but not vice versa
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience for Degree holders and 3 Years relevant experience in public health projects and research project experience for master’s holders
- Proven skills and experience in monitoring and evaluation in emergencies and development including multi-sectorial and consortium projects.
- Proven abilities in translating log frames/results frameworks into monitoring plans, developing data tools and protocols, data collection and management, use of data bases and data analysis.
- Demonstrated experience developing and rolling out tools and data systems and feedback/accountability mechanisms for and building capacity of others for assessing progress and documentation.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodologies including logical models, conceptual frameworks, assessments and evaluations.
- Knowledge and experience with digital data collections and analysis tools such as ArcGIS, Kobo Toolbox and CommCare.
- Knowledge of Inter Agency Standing Committee (IASC) agreed Commitments to Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) and the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS)
- Familiarity with information management systems and analysis software and data presentation platforms such as Power BI or Tableau.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and capacity strengthening of staff
- Strong ability to communicate concisely and with impact in English.
- Demonstrated ability to work, handle, and meet contending targets in a fast-paced operating environment.
- Consistent track record of proactively identifying and presenting potential problems and proposing solutions.
- Able to function effectively in a changing work environment and to set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with competing needs and pressure.
- Committed to the IRC’s mission, purpose, and values.
How to Apply
Candidates who meet the above qualifications; please send your CV and application letter only through IRC career site:
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information:
- Name of the position you have applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Please include at least 3 references from current and former supervisors.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and carries out policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.