- Company: Education Development Center (EDC)
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting / Finance Jobs in Ethiopia
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.The overall goal of the upcoming five-year USAID-funded Early Childhood Education (ECE) activity is to increase the effectiveness of the early childhood education system and improve early learning and holistic development outcomes for preschool aged children (ages 3-6+) in Ethiopia. The specific objective is to strengthen the system’s capacity to provide quality, play-based ECE at the federal, regional, woreda, kebele and household levels, increasing early learning opportunities for pre-school aged children that support their holistic development (with special attention to those affected by crisis and conflict, including refugees and IDPs, returnees, and those in host communities).
The Senior Finance Manager will ensure full financial and contractual compliance of all program activities with USAID regulations. The SFM is responsible for ensuring the timely processing of the Project’s financial transactions. The SFM will ensure consistent application of generally accepted accounting principles and standards. They will lead by example the full implementation of EDC policies and procedures (P&P) and internal controls, and provide assistance during budget preparations, financial planning, and analyses. They will supervise encoded entries and maintain records in QuickBooks; generate monthly and periodic financial reports; and ensure preparation and submission of reports in a timely manner, to comply with necessary organizational and governmental requirements.
Working with the contractor’s internal auditing system and Financial Comptroller, the Senior Finance Manager will establish accounting and financial reporting protocols for local organizations as needed. The SFM will supervise head office financial staff and program budget matters, managing accounting and disbursement needs, verifying that procurements comply with USAID and Contractor’s financial guidelines, overseeing the training of staff and partner NGOs in financial systems, ensuring adherence to management policies, and assuring timely contributions to HO financial reporting to USAID.
Qualifications : The candidate for the position Senior Finance Manager shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Education : Master’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or related discipline (will accept bachelor’s degree with two additional years of related experience).
Skills And Experience
- At least 8 years of experience (10 years with bachelor’s degree) in financial management of development activities with increasing levels of responsibility;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in financial management and compliance.
- Active membership in a professional body such as the Ethiopian Society of Certified Public Accounts is highly preferred;
- Proven interpersonal skills, good communication / teamwork with technical teams;
- Successful experience managing finance teams in complex projects interacting with technical staff;
- Capacity to work in difficult conditions and function well under pressure and hard deadlines; and
- Relevant Finance management experience in East Africa; Finance management experience in Ethiopia is highly preferred.
Language : Fluency in English is required.