The position is contingent on new funding
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In a disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004, working in rural, peri-urban and urban areas in five regional states – Somali, Oromia, Afar, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples, Amhara – and the capital city of Addis Ababa. We engage in both development and humanitarian work and seek to integrate approaches, programs, and geographies as much as possible. Our partners include government, academic institutions, development, and private sector actors, civil societies and communities. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: Senior Market Systems Development(MSD) Technical Advisor- Livestock/Crop
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Open Position: 1
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been present in Ethiopia since 2004 and acts on behalf of people who have become disenfranchised and poor. We stand with Ethiopia to find and access opportunities, and to be part of lasting and meaningful transformation in the country. Mercy Corps seeks to be influential with government and development actors towards a more resilient country where poverty is tackled through the eyes of those who understand it best. This translates into ensuring that the population is financially stable, healthy & nourished, educated & unformed and that natural resources are accessible, shared and utilized sustainably.
Mercy Corps anticipates a multi-year, multi-million dollar USAID funded initiative focused on: stimulating increased production, productivity, and marketing through more competitive livestock and livestock products markets; increasing communities’ resilience; diversifying livelihood economic opportunities and options through essential skills transfer; improving food security and nutrition, and contributing to the wider knowledge on pastoral development. The program will operate in multiple pastoral regions across Ethiopia.
General Position Summary
Mercy Corps is seeking an experienced Senior Market Systems Development(MSD) Technical Advisor- Livestock/Crop for Intensified and Sustained Pastoral and Agro-Pastoral production and Marketing component (Component 3) of 5-year USAID-funded $31.3 million Pastoral Area Resilience Activity(PARA). The activity is designed to improve the resilience capacities of households, market and governance institutions, collectively contributing to enhanced food security and inclusive economic growth for over 140,000 households in the Pastoral and Agro-Pastoral areas of Afar, Oromia and Somali Regions. The Sr. MSD technical advisor by directly reporting to Livestock Production and Marketing Team Leader, he/she will participate in all required planning, implementing and overseeing market systems development activities of PARA program focused on the livestock, crop/fodder production, and marketing in the target areas. Moreover, the individual will closely work with other PARA component teams (i.e. Disaster Risk Management (DRM), Diversified and Sustainable Economic Opportunities for people transitioning out of Pastoralism, improved and sustained nutrition and Hygiene and the Collaboration Learning and Adaptation (CLA) Team) and PARA Consortium members to ensure better resource and efforts synergies.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Program and Technical Activities
● Participate in the planning, implementing and overseeing of MSD activities focused on livestock/Crop production and marketing to ensure that staff and partners are following work plans, planned activities are implementing as scheduled and the deliverables are meeting required quantity and quality standards;
● Provide technical advice, facilitation supports for livestock, crop/ feed production, and markets activities for program beneficiaries and partners in the PARA program target areas;
● Work closely within PARA components team and consortium members for the creation of better coordination and harmonization of technical activities and strategies planned to improve livestock productivity, sales, and marketing of Livestock/crop products in the local and export markets to contribute to the development of pastoral and agro-pastoralist resilience;
● Provide technical support and backstopping to cluster program teams (Afar, Somali, and Oromia) to better implement planned activities;
● Facilitates the implementation of planned Training of Trainers(TOTs) and cascading training to beneficiary pastoralists;
● Participate in the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation system tools and provide regular reports on program activities in his/her direct area of responsibilities;
● In close collaboration with the team leader, work closely to create good communication and smooth working relationships with PARA stakeholders to better achieve the planned activities and to address the program goals; and
● Assist with development, design, and proposal writing for related programming as needed.
Representation and Coordinatio n
● Liaise with local government officials, local NGOs and civil society organizations, local religious leaders and other notables to ensure support for and acceptance of Mercy Corps’ programs;
● Maintain close working relationships with donors, other humanitarian and development organizations, and local partners, including representing Mercy Corps at local coordination meetings as assigned;
● Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
● Build effective relationships with program teams implementing financial inclusion programming, based on mutual trust, collaboration, urgency, and curiosity
● Assist team members with information, tools, and resources to improve performance & reach objectives;
● Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally;
● Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence;
● Support hiring and orientation of team members with a focus on MSD-Livestock/Crop
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Knowledge and Experience
● BA/BSc in Agricultural Science, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, Business Administration, Marketing and/or related field. MA/MSc preferred.
● 5 years’ work experience with for-profit, Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) or profit agribusiness working with vulnerable, marginalized and pastoralists/agro-pastoralist groups.
● 3+ years’ proven experience in innovative value chain development or business models using best practices.
● Expertise/Experience with pastoral areas context-focused research, extension, market facilitation, and natural resource management;
● Experience in drylands and/or value chain development is desirable;
● Experience in commercial livestock and/or livestock inputs (e.g. feed, veterinary services) is desirable;
● Strong written and oral communication skills in English, including report development, writing and editing;
● Understanding Ethiopia's pastoral context is desirable.
● Strong communication and facilitation skills, with a good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues.
● Experience in the private sector is strongly preferred.
● Knowledge and experience in implementing donor-funded development activities desired.
The successful Technical Advisor has knowledge and experience related to all elements of intensified and sustained pastoral and agro-pastoral production and marketing. Of particular importance is expertise with pastoral-specific research, extension, market facilitation, and natural resource management. S/he will combine exceptional capacity building skills and experience in maintaining donor and partner relationships. S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and advise innovative program ideas within the current and future program structure of Mercy Corps in the region. S/he will also have proven experience with cross-cultural team and capacity building, individual staff development and strong mentoring skills. Prioritizing, problem-solving, ability to seize opportunities, attention to detail and strategic vision are essential. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, M&E skills and experience.
Living /Environmental Conditions:
The position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with regular travel to the field. The location is accompanied and secure. Individual housing is available with freedom of movement beyond the house and office. There are international schools in Addis Ababa. The staff has good access to essential services, such as medical care, electricity, water, etc. This position requires up to 50% of travel by air and road to field offices in relatively secure environments but climatically harsh conditions. This position is not eligible for hardship and/or R&R benefits.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs, and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants, personal inquiries are not permitted.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female and young candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women and youth.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 21 October 2019/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address: email@example.com
Note: Please make sure that you mention the position title in the subject line of your email application.
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974