Save the Children is an exciting and dynamic organization that follows a holistic approach to achieve more for children and use its resources in an efficient and sustainable way. In every programming we aim to achieve results at scale, build partnership to influence others and increase our impact; look for innovate solutions to the problems children faces, campaign for better practice and ensure that Children’s voices are heard.
Save the Children is an organization for talented people with different backgrounds and perspectives. We are proud that our people are representative of the children we work with and we thrive on our diversity. We are an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. Our culture is embedded in these values, along with a strong commitment to our Child Safeguarding Protocol, ensuring that all representatives of Save the Children demonstrate the highest standards of behavior towards children both in their private and professional lives.
Save the Children offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development. If you are interested to work in an organization that is determined to achieve dramatic change for the most vulnerable children, we encourage you to look through the job profile below.
Senior Program Manager – GtN
Place of Work
USAID Growth through nutrition
Monthly Salary in ETB
As per the scale of the organization
No. of Positions
Length of Contract
One year with possibility of extension
Growth through Nutrition – is five-year multi-sector nutrition project in Ethiopia (2016-2021). It is a follow-on Activity to USAID’s flagship multi-sector nutrition project—Empowering New Generations to Improve Nutrition and Economic opportunities (ENGINE). Save the Children in partnership with its Government partner’s (FMoH, RHB, RB of agriculture and natural resource and livestock, BOWE and BOE) and International NGOs and local NGOs drives the implementation of Growth through Nutrition using a powerful, multi-sector platform comprised of evidence-based nutrition-specific and nutrition-sensitive interventions.
The purpose of the USAID Growth through Nutrition activity is to improve the nutritional status of women and young children in the four productive regions with a focus on the first 1,000 days from pregnancy to a child’s second birthday—the critical window of opportunity for a child’s growth and development. The development hypothesis for this Activity is: if sustained access to diverse, safe, and quality foods is achieved and optimal nutrition, WASH, and agriculture behaviours are adopted and quality nutrition services are utilized and access to WASH products and services is improved and multi-sector coordination and GOE capacity to implement effective nutrition and WASH programs is strengthened, then the nutritional status of women and young children will be improved. Growth through Nutrition has four essential cross-cutting elements: Gender equality and women’s empowerment, a rigorous learning agenda, sustainable approaches, and convergence/overlay of multi-sector nutrition interventions (e.g. agriculture, livelihoods, education, health, humanitarian assistance) and WASH activities in the same geographic areas.
USAID Growth through Nutrition will build on ENGINE’s investments in 83 Agricultural Growth Program (AGP) (food secure) and 17-non AGP (food insecure) and will target at least 80 foods secure Woredas and 20 food insecure Woredas (PSNP and emergency hot spot Woredas) in the USAID/Ethiopia’s Feed the Future Zone of Influence of Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray.
The Senior Program Manager is responsible for overall management of USAID Growth through nutrition’s project at regional level. He/she is responsible to ensure the efficient and timely planning, monitoring, implantation and reporting of Growth through Nutrition project activities. He/she manages the regional project budget; ensure effective utilization of staff, vehicles, and other resources. At regional and field levels he/she is responsible to ensure that Growth through Nutrition project implementation, financial resource utilization and other project resources complies with USAID rules and regulations as well as Save the Children operational standards. He/she manages the regional technical area mangers (SBCC, Agriculture/livelihoods, Nutrition and WASH), partner staff members and works closely with regional and local stakeholders to implement Growth through Nutrition project activities.
He/she oversees all relationships with the regional government and are responsible for facilitating memorandum of understanding (MOU), aligning the projects annual work plan with regional government, updating project performance challenges and lessons learned to the respective government sectors, and coordinating and conducting joint field monitoring and review meetings with the government using existing government and partner platforms, and meet quarterly with regional sector office key department heads or directorate such as RHB, RB of agriculture and natural resource and livestock, BOWE and BOE. He/she will ensure close coordination with other USAID and other donor funded projects and the delivery of joint work plans with partners. He/she is expected to ensure integration of gender equality and women’s empowerment, a rigorous learning agenda, sustainable approaches, and most importantly convergence/overlay of multi-sector nutrition interventions (e.g. agriculture, livelihoods, education, health, humanitarian assistance) in the same geographic areas. He/she is responsible to build capacities and support re-establishment and strengthening of nutrition multi sectoral coordination (coordination body and technical committee) at regional and Woreda levels. The program manager is also responsible in ensuring quality and timely submission of monthly, quarterly and annual reports and other deliverables to Country office.
As head of the project office, He/she also represents Save the Children in the region, ensure internalization and adherence to Save the Children’s Vision, Mission, Core Values and Principles, provide the overall supervision and lead all personnel working in the project office and promote the matrix management, provide overall supervision and management of resources utilization, provide regular communication and coordination with the Hub leadership and various Country Office departments and Ensure Staff Safety and Security through context analysis and follow up on the MSOP’s as well as Child Safe Guarding.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to : SWH POD
Staff directly reporting to this post :
- Nutrition & Health Project Manager
- Livelihood & Agriculture Project Manager
- SBCC Project Manager
- M&E Project Manager
- Finance and Compliance Coordinator
- HR and Logistic Office
Dotted Line Relationship : Deputy Chief of party – GtN
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
JOB SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITES
Overall Programme Management
· Responsible for the timely development of the Growth through Nutrition annual and quarterly work plan, recruitment plan, procurement plan, and phased budgets for Growth through Nutrition project.
· Work closely with area office management team to ensure coordination among projects, country office DCOP-operations and Growth through Nutrition technical specialists to ensure quality of project implementation and timely completion of the activities and allocated budgets.
· Works closely with the Support Services – HR/Finance/logistics to provide them with advanced plans so that they can efficiently carry out their job.
· Support the POM in the drafting project related MOU with the relevant regional partners,
· follows up on the review and revision processes, as well as finalization and signing.
· Responsible for proper planning, quality implementation, regular monitoring, reporting of all nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive interventions including WASH related construction activities
· Manage all Growth through Nutrition activities, resources and assets for projects under supervision
· Liaises with the relevant sector offices at the location as it relates to the projects under supervision; represents the Health and Agriculture sectors within the location as necessary and upon delegation
· Identify critical issues in the implementation of projects and take the necessary actions to address problems and constraints
· Leads project activity and budget revisions, prepares justification for request of amendments in keeping with donor regulations and procedures, closely working with the relevant award team to ensure timely action in Monthly meetings with the POM, provides up to date information on the progress of the project and flags any concerns in a timely manner.
· Facilitate and ensure the involvement of children as primary stakeholders in all project work
· Ensure that strategies for phasing out are taken care of during implementation; and project close outs are properly planned and executed
· Ensure project activities are in line with proposed Growth through Nutrition technical documents and proposed new activities toileted to project goals
· Ensure active beneficiary participation and ownership at all phases of project management to ensure sustainability
Program team management
· Ensure and manage appropriate project staffing within area of responsibility. Ensure all new recruited staff gets Fraud, Child safeguarding training and monitor the progress
· Leads thematic mangers (WASH, Nutrition, Agriculture/livelihoods, SBCC and M&E) and zonal livelihood coordinators and partner staff members.
· Ensure all direct reporting team have accurate and up –to- date job descriptions, have oriented on project goals, strategies and activities
· Sets standard and agreed performance objectives for all direct reports, monitor progress regularly and document
· Identify and prevent potential issues for conflict; develop strong, productive team at regional level
· Conducts midterm and end line performance review, documents and submits to HR
· Identify staff capacity gaps, incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process & Establish result based system and follow up
· Ensure submission of quarterly project staff profile/status update using standard format
· Ensure staff submit accurate time sheet on monthly basis on time
· Conduct at least monthly biweekly core team and monthly/quarterly all program team.
· planning and review meeting with appropriate documentation and sharing
· Orient NGO, government and community partners on Growth through Nutrition project goals, strategies and activities to develop common understanding for smooth project implementation.
Create medium and help partners understand SCI policies and procedures including child
· safeguarding, fraud, procurement and financial management
· Support in partners’ capacity assessment and support; ensuring SCI standards for partnership development are met.
· Develop/ Review/Check partnership agreements, memorandum of understanding; ensuring SCI formats and standards are adhered to
· Identify area of activity overlap through proper mapping, develop joint plan and ensure coordination for efficient resource utilization.
· Serves as key liaison with regional health bureau (RHB) and Bureau of Agriculture for Growth through nutrition.
· Closely work with partners to support the course of project planning (joint plan where required), including project proposal development, implementation, and follow up and monitoring of projects
· Facilitate regular dialogue and information sharing with partners including government, non-government partners and civil societies through regular review and coordination meetings
· Support partners in preparing annual and quarterly project budgets and making budget revisions. Monitor Growth through Nutrition project budget under partner’s agreement
· Build and maintain strong collaborative working relationships with Regional Health Bureau, Regional Agriculture and rural development, and others relevant regional bureaus, FTF partners, UN Agencies, international and national NGOs working on Nutrition and livelihood in the region
· Conduct regular planned monitoring visits, support partners at the project sites and prepare reports for documentation and follow-up actions.
· Ensure documentation of good practices in partnership and report trends and performances of partner’s activities. Ensure that all relevant partnership documents are centrally maintained both in hard and electronic copies.
· Manage partner staff working with Growth through nutrition project at regional levels
Coordination and integration
· Ensure integration of gender equality and women’s empowerment, a rigorous learning agenda, sustainable approaches, and most importantly convergence/overlay of multi-sector nutrition interventions (e.g. agriculture, livelihoods, education, health, humanitarian assistance) in the same geographic areas
· In collaboration with key partners, ensure the establishment nutrition multi sectoral coordination body and technical committee, at regional and woreda level, identify implementation gaps/challenges and enhance capacity to ensure its proper functioning.
Coordinate with the program operations manager to manage the project and area operations, supervise the field support staff, and coordinate activity of Growth through
· Nutrition by working closely with the technical team to ensure quality of interventions and on timely completion of activities.
· Coordinate and work with the area office management team and ensure that the project's administrative processes, such as logistics, procurements, and policy compliance are well established and fully implemented according to Save the Children and USAID policy and procedures.
Coordinate/lead technical staff working in the region; lead weekly, monthly and quarterly
· regional planning and review meetings.
Ensure that weekly schedules/travel plans are coordinated and completed, and manage project
· coordinators under his/her supervision.
· Prepare annual and quarterly Growth through Nutrition Budget Program Operation Plan (POP) based on approved Detailed Implementation Plan (DIPs)
· Manage project budget trough proper budget planning, efficient budget utilization ensuring acceptable performance, regular BVA reviews and actions and cost share reporting
· Manage Growth through Nutrition program budgets, including phasing of budgets as per work plans, lead monthly review of spending reports, identification of errors and required actions to address same
· Ensure effective and efficient utilization of project budget and other resources; follow up on budget utilization and project expenditure through regular BVA reviews
· Ensure that partner finance planning and reports are in line with the project agreement and requirements from donors and governments; support partners as necessary to ensure proper financial management, utilization and reporting
· Facilitates communication and interaction between partners and the SCI Awards Team; submit cash forecast for Growth through Nutrition to facilitates budget transfer
· Closely work with the Awards Team to efficiently monitor and track burn rates, reporting and financial compliance issues
· Plan, monitor, document and report cost share as per the donor requirement
Monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance
· Support and oversee development of M&E systems, tools, and procedure in the region
· Coordinate and undertake situation analysis of nutrition issues, including issues related to emergencies, in the location, establish baseline data for impact monitoring, as well as for use in for new business developments
· Facilitate/coordinate all project related surveys/assessment planned at regional level; lead and coordinate the development of TORs and management of tasks, including quick assessments, RDQAs, evaluations, and documentations, for projects under supervision as required
· Monitor the performance of regional team according to the Growth through Nutrition regional annual work plan and systematically document project results
· Identify, monitor and systematically document implementation lessons, best practices and innovations for projects under supervision; and ensure that such information is fed into new business development
· Plan and facilitate regularly scheduled reviews of projects with partners and stakeholders
· Facilitate and ensure monitoring the regional project sub-grantee activities
· Prepare monthly and annual reports on the implementation of project activities as per the requirements of SCI, regional MOUs and specific project donors.
· Ensure high quality and timeliness of periodic reports, use standard reporting formats
· Facilitate and monitor the implementation of sub primes project related activities
· Facilitates visits to donors, members and others as necessary
· Ensure proper documentation of all inputs and services, with special focus on auditable once, provided to target beneficiaries
As part of and under the supervision of the Hub (additional responsibility)
· Ensure internalization and adherence to Save the Children’s Vision, Mission, Core Values and Principles.
· Represent Save the Children in the respective Woreda’s, Zones and Regional States in which the Project Office (PO) is located or is overseeing
· Coordinate the facilitation of concepts and proposals development for resource mobilization
· Provide overall coordination and management for all programs implemented in the area under the oversight of the PO
· Provide the overall supervision (through the PO SMT) and lead all personnel working in the PO and operational area and ensure and promote the matrix management
· Liaison and network with all local stakeholders to enhance relationship and program ownership and implementation.
· Ensures effective and steward utilization of available resources for intended purposes whilst safeguarding the quality of Save the Children Programs.
· Facilitates capacity building and human capital development in the PO and operational area.
· Provide overall supervision and management of resources utilization
· Provide regular communication and coordination with the Hub leadership and various Country Office departments
· In the event of a major humanitarian emergency or other crisis, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Ensure Staff Safety and Security through context analysis and follow up on the MSOP’sas well as Child Safe Guarding
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals, takes responsibility for her/his own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, internal and external partners including ECSC SUN members and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
Honest, encourages openness and transparency
· BSC degree in a public health/nutrition/ nursing, development studies, or social science (management/leadership); Master’s degree more advantageous.
· Minimum of 10 years’ of experience in a corporate/NGO environment managing community based health projects, focusing on MNCH, nutrition, nutrition sensitive agriculture; proven experience in working with and managing partners. Solid budgeting skills and knowledge of key USAID regulations is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Proven experience in managing large, senior program team members (health, livelihood, WASH, SBCC), in matrix organization (international organization).
· Proven experience and skills in manging bigger annual budget amount, preferably over one million USD per year.
· Short-term trainings on project cycle management, leadership, USAID rules and regulations, USAID financial management and other technical and managerial trainings.
· Excellent knowledge and understanding of the Ethiopian health and agriculture policy and strategies, health sector development program, national nutrition program (NNP), health and agriculture extension platform
· Experience working with the Ministry of Health or ministry of Agriculture at sub-national levels, BoFED, and WASH sectors
· Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
· Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
· Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets
· Experience of working successfully with senior managers in other parts of own organization or partner organizations to deliver major change
· Experience of successfully implementing changes to processes to improve and monitor quality standards and impact achieved
· Experience of managing and shaping programmes to deliver greater efficiency and effectiveness, and of strengthening implementation of financial control processes
· Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, attention to details, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
· Experience in ENGINE project, and other similar USAID project has comparative advantage
· Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
· Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
· Fluency in local language is a plus
· Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
· Commitment to Save the Children values
· Scope & complexity of decision making
· Able to solve problems by selecting the most suitable procedure or method within guidelines and precedents; direction sought when solutions not within established guidelines or precedents
PERCENTAGE OF TRAVEL (Out of duty station if applicable )
- 30-40 percent
SC Values are: Accountability , Ambition , Collaboration , Creativity and Integrity . To meet the value system, the post holder is expected to demonstrate the following Competencies on ongoing bases:
Leading (align with Ambition, Integrity collaboration and creativity)
· Leading and Inspiring Others: Demonstrate leadership in all our work, role models our values and articulates a compiling vision to inspire to achieve our goals for children
· Delivering result: Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team/ organisation.
· Developing Self and Others : Invest time and energy to actively develop self and others to help realize their full potential and to build the organization capability for the further.
Thinking (align with Ambition, creativity, Collaboration and Creativity)
· Problem solving and decision making : Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organisation and making appropriate judgements.
Engaging (align with Collaboration, Creativity,
· Working effectively with others Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives; knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
· Communicating with Impact: Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and influence; promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust with others.
How to Apply
Interested applicants who met the MINIMUM requirements should send the following through www.ethiojobs.net before or on May 20, 2019.
a. A CV (not more than 3 pages)
b. A cover letter (not more than one page)
c. A one-page table summarizing your educational background, work experience, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process. Refer the vacancy announcement while doing this.
Please DO NOT SUBMIT copies of transcripts, academic degrees or recommendation letters with the application. You should provide them upon request otherwise your application will reject.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU STATE THE CODE OF THE VACANCY ON THE SUBJECT OF YOUR EMAIL ensuring that the job title is clearly stated in the cover letter. All applications should be received within 10 days of this advertisement.
We need to keep children safe and as such, our selection process reflects our commitment to ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are considered for these posts. All successful applicants will, therefore, be required to complete a Police Check and must sign onto our Child Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct.
In the selection of its staff, Save the Children is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities.
Note: All travel costs should be covered by the applicants, if invited for written exam or interview.