Senior Project Manager, Prevent Epidemics, Ethiopia
Resolve to Save Lives
Vital Strategies , headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making, advancing evidence-based public health policies and programs and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Our programs are concentrated in low- and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative that aims to save millions of lives by reducing preventable deaths from cardiovascular disease and to prevent infectious disease epidemics. Resolve to Save Lives ( RTSL ) is housed within Vital Strategies. Since September 2017, the Resolve to Save Lives Cardiovascular and Prevent Epidemics teams have been working closely with governments, the World Health Organization, the World Bank, academic and other partners in a number of countries to strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats and to implement a core package of interventions to reduce cardiovascular disease. More about our Prevent Epidemics work can be found at: https://preventepidemics.org/
In collaboration with the Ethiopia Public Health Institute, Resolve to Save Lives seeks to establish a six-member team to provide technical expertise and support to the Government of Ethiopia to accelerate progress towards compliance with core capacities of International Health Regulations (2005). Working across multi-disciplinary teams and multiple government departments, this team will be composed of a Senior Project Manager, a Senior Health Advisor, ‘One Health’ Technical Advisor, a Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor, two Legal Advisors and a Communications and Media Specialist. The team will work to accelerate the implementation of the National Action Plan for Health Security and improve capacity indicators across 19 different technical areas.
Resolve to Save Lives is partnering with the Ethiopia Public Health Institute on a project aiming to increase efficiency, prioritization and resources for epidemic preparedness and emergency response nationally. The Senior Project Manager for the above-mentioned team is a full-time position based in Addis Ababa and requiring frequent travel to the field. The Project Manager will work within the Public Health Emergency Management section of EPHI and collaborate closely with the Resolve to Save Lives New York-based Prevent Epidemics team.
The Senior Project Manager will provide overall leadership for the team and oversee all technical, financial and administrative aspects of the project as well as its monitoring and evaluation and reporting elements. In addition, s/he will ensure engagement of key stakeholders and that all project activities are in compliance with donor requirements and Government of Ethiopia and Infectious Diseases Institute policies and procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leadership, technical and administrative responsibility for project implementation
- Providing technical guidance and support to a five-member project team as well as Public Health Emergency Management (PHEM) directors
- Engage in strategic planning for the implementation of the National Action Plan for Health Security (NAPHS) and on ways to ensure sustained engagement in health security
- Overall partnership management including regular consultations with the National Action Plan for Health Security Steering Committee Chair, relevant Government of Ethiopia sector leaders and key stakeholders and Ethiopia Global Health Security partners
- Monitoring project team performance on agreed targets over a specified timeframe, including technical reporting to the PHEM Director General, Vital Strategies / Resolve to Save Lives and other key stakeholders
- Monitoring and tracking project expenditures and ensuring financial reports are submitted to Vital Strategies / Resolve to Save Lives in a timely manner
- Improve and organize the collaboration between PHEM directors
- Identify implementation gaps through regular monitoring to accelerate the implementation of NAPHS.
- Representation of the team and the project’s purpose and targets with all stakeholders
- Master’s or PhD in epidemiology, public health or related discipline
- A minimum of 12 years of successful management of public health program implementation/health systems strengthening projects
- Demonstrated knowledge of and working familiarity with the functioning of the Government of Ethiopia health care system
- Knowledge of International Health Regulations, Infectious Disease Surveillance and Response, Global Health Security Agenda, and Joint External Evaluation principles and purposes including objectives and targets of relevant technical areas
- Thorough understanding of the multi-sectoral and One Health approaches to achieving Global Health Security objectives
- Project planning, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong oral and written communication skill
- Experience supervising professional and support staff
- Demonstrated problem-solving and innovation skills
How to Apply
How to Apply: Send your resume and a cover letter describing your experience and suitability for this role the following link: Senior Project Manager, Prevent Epidemics