Job title: Senior Psycho social Support Officer
Location: Field office (place of work to be decided)
Reference No: HRP/ 033 /19
Number: One (1)
Closing date April 28, 2019
GOAL strongly encourages female candidates to apply!
GOAL’s mission is to work with the most vulnerable communities to help them respond to and recover from humanitarian crises, and to assist them to build transcendent solutions to mitigate poverty and vulnerability.
GOAL is a non-for profit organization that has been working in Ethiopia for over 30 years, towards ensuring the poorest and most vulnerable in our world and those affected by humanitarian crises have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate shelter, food and livelihoods, water and sanitation, nutrition, healthcare and education. GOAL implements a range of multi-sectoral development, resilience, recovery and humanitarian responses programmes by being sensitive to cross-cutting issues including gender, accountably, child protection, HIV/AIDS. Currently, we work with pastoralist, agro-pastoral, pastoral dropouts, rural small holder farmers, rural/urban youth and street children to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience in Ethiopia working closely with local communities, local government, donors and other key actors. GOAL E Humanitarian Response is centered on nutrition, WASH, livelihoods, multipurpose cash, NFIs and protection interventions in country wide while the recovery and development focus on livelihoods, economic opportunities, health, health and nutrition system strengthening and WASH with solid emphasis on integrated programming and community-based approach in Oromiya regional state. The Street Children programme is implemented with local partners in Addis Ababa and Hawassa.
We envision a world where poverty no longer exist, where vulnerable communities are resilient, where barriers to well being are removed and where everyone has equal rights and opportunities. GOAL Ethiopia’s main donors Irish Aid, USAID/ OFDA, EHF, ECHO and other private donors.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Senior Psycho-social Support Officer is responsible for leading, coordinating, and implementing GOAL’s field-based psycho-social support services and training activities. The Senior PSS Officer will be responsible for coaching and technical supervision of zonal-based PSS Officers. The position holder works to strengthen the psycho-social protection of Internal Displaced Peoples (IDPs) in particular children (in family or unaccompanied), women, and other vulnerable groups, through the implementation and dissemination of Psychological First Aid (PFA) and other PSS protocols, under the technical supervision of the Senior Partnership and Protection Advisor and coordination of Zonal level Project Coordinator.
As Senior PSS Officer, you will be responsible for all the PSS activities in one assigned Zone. In coordination with the Senior Partnership and Protection Advisor, you will also support the overall coordination and monitoring of PSS activities implemented in other Zones, and provide support and guidance to the PSS officers based in other Zones.
You'll be an experienced Senior Psycho-social Support Officer and working in assessing the psycho-social needs of IDPs in the target location participants by identifying, documenting and analyzing the needs of children, women and other vulnerable groups and Respond to the identified needs by providing direct psycho-social support services. The Senior Psycho-social Support Officer will be responsible to Lead, organize and supervise the psycho-social support activities, develop detailed work plan and implement the project activities as specified in the work plan.
· BA degree in Psychology, Counseling, sociology or social work
· At least four years of experience in the same/similar role in another organization or association
· Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken (English, Oromiffa and Amharic)
Desirable qualities, Skills and Competences: (list of qualities that are considered desirable for the specific post):
· Strong capacity and experience with planning, organizing and coordination
· Results and performance oriented
· High capacity for taking initiatives and working independently
· Demonstrated technical expertise in psycho-social crisis management, psycho-social support services in a humanitarian context
· Experience working with women, children, specific needs groups and case management
· Knowledge of child protection & GBV protection principles desirable
· Strong aptitude for teamwork and flexibility; dynamic and proactive attitude
· Excellent and proven ability to adapt to difficult, challenging and stressful situations
· Good organizational skills and capacity to work independently, if necessary and/or required
· Integrity, professionalism and expertise in processing reports, data protection, and questionnaires
· Ability to understand the cultural context and local language of a community, and use that culture as an input for community mobilization
· Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels.
· Skilled at carrying out needs assessments and project evaluation desirable
· Immediate availability
Remuneration & Benefits :
Salary: Birr 14,773.72 per month
Pension : (11% from employer and 7% from employee)
Transportation Allowance: 10% of monthly salary
Hardship Allowance: 30 – 50% of monthly salary based on place of assignment.
Medical Allowance: Birr 6500/annum (will be added in your monthly salary)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants who have access to the internet may directly apply on line using talent Search’s on line application site – www.ethiojobs.net or send the essential documents to the Administration & Human Resources Department, GOAL Ethiopia P.O.Box 5504, Addis Ababa or in person submission to the nearest GOAL offices. In addition we require all applicants to fill in the Application Employment Form (you can get the form from ( ).
Only those applicants who fill the application form will be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and exam.