Job Title: Senior Research, M&E & Knowledge Management Specialist
TEAM/PROGRAM: Ethiopia Civil Society Coalition for Scaling Up Nutrition (ECSC-SUN) Movement
LOCATION: Addis Ababa
GRADE : 1C
POST TYPE: National
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Overview of the Scaling Up Nutrition Movement (SUN) and the Ethiopia Civil Society Coalition for Scaling Up Nutrition (ECSC-SUN)
The Scaling up Nutrition (SUN) Movement is a global multi-sectoral collaboration to end malnutrition, launched in 2010 to combat the injustice and the impact of malnutrition. SUN supports countries in addressing all forms of malnutrition as well as the many drivers of malnutrition, mindful of other global challenges that affect nutrition either directly or indirectly, such as climate change, conflict, displacement, and food systems, as well as a focus on equity and social inclusion, accountability, corporate responsibility and financing.
The Government of Ethiopia (GoE) is among 63 signatory countries that joined the SUN movement and supported the establishment of five SUN movement networks since September 2012. ECSC-SUN is an active SUN network in Ethiopia that encompasses 68 National NGOs, International NGOs, civil society institutions, academic and research institutions all committed to improving nutrition and supporting the country’s initiative to end malnutrition in all its forms by 2030
ECSC-SUN has been closely working with the GoE, other SUN networks and nutrition development partners in the last seven years in the implementation of food and nutrition programming in the country. ECSC-SUN has initiated the development, finalization and endorsement of Food and Nutrition Policy of Ethiopia (FNP), National Food and Nutrition Strategy (FNS). It has also supported the development of Food and Nutrition Council and Agency establishment (FNCA) proclamation. ECSC-SUN led and supported the development of multi-sectoral accountability tool and scorecard to assess and review the NNP implementation at all levels and to strengthen accountability and financial commitments of key nutrition stakeholders. Furthermore, ECSC-SUN has also supported the establishment of the Ethiopia Nutrition Leaders Network (ENLN) and conducted different leadership capacity building and system strengthening initiatives, policy advocacy, resource mobilization and sensitizations.
ECSC-SUN established regional support platforms in regions and thematic working groups to maximize members’ engagement, increase collaborative efforts, maximize synergy, for complementarity and to avoid duplication of efforts. Now ECSC-SUN has proved to be the best platform for advocating and supporting the government of Ethiopia to achieve its nutrition goals and will continue building the government system for delivering transformative food and nutrition programmes that incorporate proven nutrition-specific and nutrition-sensitive interventions that are particularly vital in advancing to curb the burden of hunger and malnutrition and help Ethiopia achieve Sustainable Development Goals.
ROLE PURPOSE: The Senior Research, M&E & Knowledge Management Specialist in collaboration with the National Lead of ECSC-SUN and Senior Nutrition Specialists, will be responsible for the management of the ECSC-SUN’s M&E, Research and Knowledge management work including managing supporting sub-awards. S/he will provide technical leadership to ensure a holistic research, knowledge management and learning approach, guidance and coordination with other coalition member agencies to ensure nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive programs are cohesive and well managed. The post holder will be responsible for ensuring monitoring and evaluation frame works is developed in times of concept notes, proposals development and involved in tracking of the projects progress towards the expected level of achievement
S/he will also be expected to provide support for setting up and establishing of an M&E & Knowledge Management platform for the National Nutrition Leadership initiative and network through organizing different learning and information sharing platforms. S/he will be expected to provide technical support to the different Government sector ministries, in aligning the planning, monitoring, budget allocation to emergent Food and Nutrition Strategy and program. S/he will closely work with ECSC-SUN members assigned to lead the establishment of regional ECSC-SUN platform and representing the coalition in different thematic areas. With the establishment of a Regional Civil Society Support platform, S/he is expected to facilitate series of meetings, visits and workshops with Regional Government officials and bureau staff to introduce the purpose and function of a civil society Regional Support Platforms.
SCOPE OF ROLE
Reports to: National Lead – Ethiopia Civil Society Coalition for Scaling Up Nutrition (ECSC-SUN) Movemen
Dimensions: Save the Children works in all regions in Ethiopia with a current staff complement of approximately 1,700 members and current expenditure of approximately $90+ million each year
Number of Positions/Staff directly reporting to this post: none
Length of Contract- Up to August 2022 with possibility of extension
Monthly Salary in ETB – As per the organization scale
Place of Work – Addis Ababa with frequent travel to the field
No of Positions – One
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Program Development and Monitoring
- In consultation with National Lead-ECSC-SUN, ECSC-SUN Steering Committee, ECSC-SUN Secretariat, MEAL and advocacy team, develop monitoring and evaluation frame works for ECSC-SUN during concept notes, proposals development and other new opportunities.
- Lead the monitoring and evaluation of the ECSC-SUN projects activities and generate evidences for informed management decisions
- Support the implementation of the planned ECSC- SUN activities within SCI and the coalition member organization operational areas and track project progress towards the expected level of performance.
- Support the development of advocacy and capacity gap assessment and budget analysis tools to be used for the project.
- Provide technical support to the different sector ministries, in aligning the planning, monitoring, budget allocation to the Food and Nutrition Strategy and the resultant gains will be tracked and reviewed.
- Conduct field visits to provide technical support to regional ECSC-SUN support platforms and to follow up the project implementation.
- Support ECSC-SUN members assigned to different region to establish regional level ECSC-SUN platform platforms in documentation of experiences and learnings, establishing M&E framework, reporting
- Coordinate a series of meetings with Regional Government officials and bureau staff to introduce the purpose and function of a civil society Regional Support Platform to establish Regional Civil Society Support platform,
- Provide technical support for the implementation of regionalization and thematic focus initiatives through supportive supervision, mentoring, coaching, review meetings, capacity building, learning visits
- Follow the implementation of the planned activities of by ECSC SUN member agencies sub-granted project activities and the completion of project initiatives contracted out to be done by consultants.
- Generate evidences for the specific advocacy and influencing initiatives.
- Make sure and guide beneficiaries have access to context-based and confidential complaint, feedback and response mechanism
Documentation, Recording and Research
- Document and draw lesson from the ECSC-SUN regular General Assembly, Steering Committees and thematic focus and regional meetings, review forums and learning workshops.
- Keep track of the ECSC-SUN profile information, project review and evaluations information in coordination with ECSC-SUN steering committee, ECSC-SUN core team, Advocacy and MEAL team
- Develop policy briefs, case studies, best practices based on ECSC-SUN and other potential nutrition projects
- Work with national nutrition Research and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Steering Committee and the Research Advisory Council (RAC) for bringing up pertinent nutrition research and learnings.
- Ensure that learning is accessed and used as an integral part of ECSC-SUN programme design and implementation
- Make sure that ECSC-SUN coalition member organizations have easy access to learning documents for reference purpose
- Capture and disseminate lessons learned from monitoring, evaluation and follow-up on action planning, maintain a lessons learned database for ECSC-SUN
- With the implementation of the food and nutrition strategy, document the experiences and challenges, it is anticipated that a Data base of learning, experiences, successes and challenges will immediately be established
Communication, Reporting and Dissemination
- Coordinate and collaborate best practices and learning events pertaining to the ECSC-SUN and ensure documentation of the learning and dissemination
- Ensure effective storage of assessment, studies and evaluations and/or organizational knowledge and to use this knowledge base to promote learning across the ECSC-SUN
- Produce case studies, best practices; lessons learned and project audit documents for internal and external use
- Produce an ECSC newsletter on bi-annual basis.
- Review project reports and address comments made by SCI member office and donor based on developed project monitoring and evaluation frame work.
- Liaise with ECSC-SUN regional support network leads, thematic group leads and coalition members’ organizations nutrition projects to maximize collaboration and ensure proper coordination of nutrition activities.
- Contribute learning and sharing of nutrition related evidence and lessons for scaling up nutrition and policy influence
- Ensure that relevant crosscutting issues are strategically mainstreamed in new projects; also ensuring relevant ECSC-SUN members understand and are capacitated to take the issues forward
- Support the policy and advocacy work of ECSC-SUN
- Represent the ECSC-SUN in relevant technical external task forces, working groups, seminars or other nutrition coordination meetings as approved by the National Lead
- Involves in and contributes to the development and finalization of food and nutrition strategy, guidelines and programs.
- Perform additional tasks and duties as and when required.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals, takes responsibility for her/his own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, internal and external partners including ECSC SUN members and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- BA Degree in Nutrition, Public Health, M&E or related field; Recommended a minimum of 10-12 years of related work experience in the areas of nutrition and nutrition related program monitoring & evaluation and research, policy formulation and data analysis preferably in the NGO environment, Masters Degree is preferred
- Experience in working with government counterparts, COSs and other partners at various levels – federal to district within the framework of nutrition.
- Experience of designing and managing knowledge management systems, an awareness of learning methodologies and experience of leading learning events
- Experience on M&E methods, qualitative & quantitative data collection and analysis
- Experience in provision of technical support, capacity-building and coordination
- Experience of coalition building, forum coordination and working with civil society actors to deliver change;
- Superior written communication skills, including the ability to translate complex arguments into accessible English for a non-specialist audience,
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, excellent understanding of the global nutrition movements, sustainable development goal,
- Good presentation, training and facilitation skills; fluency in spoken and written English;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, as well as the major statistical software (EPI INFO, STATA, SPSS, Access, R-package) and qualitative data analysis tools
- Willing to travel to rural areas to organize events and workshops, to collect data for evidence generation, to conduct supportive supervisions; and etc…
- An understanding of child rights programming and commitment to Save the Children values.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Commitment to Save the Children values