Jhpiego is saving the lives of mothers and babies, and transforming health care systems in communities, regions and countries—leading to overall improvements in quality of life. That’s the ripple effect of Jhpiego’s work, through both large-scale and smaller, unique projects on the ground.
– working with people in local communities, health care policymakers, funders and colleagues
– forging trust, gaining true friendship and empowering people
– never giving up, never says “impossible”; tireless and relentless, staying the course
– for all people, whoever they are, wherever they live
– in all that is done—rigor in science, in proven interventions, in the highest-quality standards, in being accountable for the resources provided.
Senior Surgical Service and System Advisor
Senior Surgical Service and System Advisor to Health Service Quality Directorate at the FMoH
Number of vacant positions: #2
Department: Ethiopia Country Office Grade: F
Duty Station: Federal Ministry of Health, Addis Ababa September 2019
Duration: One year with possibility of extension
Note : FMOH and Jhpiego perform recruitment and performance evaluation jointly.
Summary Scope of Work
Senior Surgical Service and System Advisor is a senior-level position that supports Ministry of Health to accelerate access to quality surgical and anesthesia care for Ethiopian community. The Advisor will work closely with Health Service Quality Directorate to conceptualize, plan, coordinate and monitor the roll out of the five-year surgical care plan, Saving Lives through Safe Surgery (SaLTS). The Advisor will build the capacity of the case team overseeing the national surgical care plan and provide technical guidance during planning, implementation and monitoring. Monitor progress towards project result mainly development of surgical leadership, clinical skills of multi-discipline surgical team, quality improvement, mentorship program, and advocacy. She/he will be responsible for engaging professional societies involved in surgical care process and promote surgical care plan and access to quality surgery. The candidate will support the implementation of the project at target sites including model learning hospitals, new primary hospitals and select health center across Ethiopia.
- Position Reports To : Health Service Quality Directorate at the FMoH and Project Director at Jhpiego Ethiopia
- Position Supervised: None
Responsibilities (include Leadership, Business Development, and Knowledge Management):
All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of their responsibilities are expected to:
- Model the mission and values stated above.
- Actively participate in the business development process.
- Actively participate in the knowledge sharing and transfer process.
- Make responsible decisions that result in both time and cost containment.
Leadership and workforce development :
- Supports the roll out of national surgical plan, the Saving Lives through Safe Surgery (SaLTS)
- Responsible for providing overall leadership in strengthening recommended leadership development skills and practices focused on surgical care and surgical system at national, subnational and facility levels in all regions
- Align interventions with the pillars of the national surgical care strategy primarily focusing on leadership and workforce development, quality and safety, monitoring and evaluation and advocacy and partnership pillars of the national surgical plan
- Engage professional societies involved in surgical care process and promote surgical care plan and surgery quality improvement at annual assembly of professional societies in Ethiopia
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with team and departments within the FMOH
- Perform or assume other duties as assigned by the Federal Ministry of Health
Quality and Safety Improvement:
- Promote, design, implement and monitor prioritized Quality Improvement approaches and initiate small-cycle QI Projects (QIP)
- Provide technical guidance to design, implement, monitoring and document surgical service system process improvement activities
- Work closely with Jhpiego project team and consultants to identify training needs, develop training materials and job aids
Program Management and Monitoring:
- Continuously analyze program data and present evidence to inform the leadership at Ministry of Health or technical working groups to inform the implementation of interventions
- Lead organization and delivery of training on safe surgery and patient safety to build the overall capacity of intervention facilities
- Provide continuous on-site and off-site technical support, mentoring and coaching to the multidisciplinary mentorship team to support health facility
- Develop activity plan, monitor performance and generate monthly and quarterly reports
- Lead and coordinate national mentorship and supportive supervision plans and compile report
- Promote evidence-based strategy and interventions and action research
- Support efforts in creating a learning environment across the Federal Ministry of Health by participating in developing knowledge management plans and archiving and disseminating programmatic successes stories, challenges and lessons learned
- Support sharing of technically sound information and knowledge amongst FMOH staff, partner organizations and relevant community of practice (CoP)
Out puts and Deliverables:
- Quality of care knowledge management system created and in place where best practices and tested ideas documented, Synthesized and widely disseminated.
- National Health Care QoC bulletin publishing Committee with TOR established.
- Reporting template developed for surgical quality of care improvement projects at different level and Guide of Bulletin publication developed
- National Health care quality Bulletin published Once a year.
- Annual National surgical and anesthesia summit organized conducted
- Produce agreed and redefined scope of health service quality directorates
- Monthly and quarterly progress report submitted
Sustainability Plan :
- Build the technical capacity of the Health service quality directorates on health service quality improvement planning, implementation and monitoring
- Build a system for Health care quality Knowledge management which is integrated and part of the major role of health service quality directorate with a clear scope.
- Health service quality directorate promotes, collect, select and publish quality projects from all levels of health care delivery system
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Well experienced in initiating, planning and executing program activities independently and who can follow up of activities with minimal oversight
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clinical team, facility leadership and partners to engage diplomatically with a wide range of audiences;
- Highly skilled in identifying opportunities and able to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently to regions and facilities, as required.
- Computer skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Proficiency in speaking, writing and reading in working languages mainly English and Amharic
Required Education and Experience:
- A Medical Doctor or Master’s Degree in surgery, obstetrics, anesthesiology, anesthesia, nursing, midwifery, clinical pharmacy or relevant health sciences)
- Minimum of ten years’ work experience for General Practitioner or Master’s degree, and minimum of six years’ experience for senior medical or public health specialists
- In-depth understanding of Ethiopia’s health care system, service standards and patient safety challenges and possible solutions is required
- Experience in leadership and workforce development and project management at FMOH, RHBs or international NGOs is desirable
- Training or experience in healthcare quality improvement clinical capacity building, management of academic programs or assessment of clinical competency is highly desirable
How to Apply
Applicant are expected to STRICTLY follow the below listed application procedures:
1. Only qualified and interested applicants can submit application letter and well written curriculum vitae saved in one complied PDF format
2. Applicants are required to state their current basic salary in their application letter
3. Applicants must make sure their application document is saved by their full name
4 . CREDENTIALS OR WORK CERTIFICATES must not be submitted at this point
5. The job position being applied for must be explicitly stated in the application letter
6. Application being submitted via email must have the job position title clearly stated in the subject line
7. Please use either E-mail HREthiopia@jhpiego.org or Online via ethiojobs to submit your applications.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package. The winning candidate is expected to start within short period after finalization of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is September 14, 2019.