Site Management Support (SMS) Assistant
Nekemte , Ethiopia
Type of Appointment
SVN, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
26.10.2020 – 09.11.2020
Under the general supervision of the Emergency & Post-Crisis (EPC) Program Coordinator, the technical supervision Site Management Coordinator and direct supervision of Site Management, planning and development officer) and administrative supervision of IOM Head of Sub-Office, the SMS assistant shall be responsible to carry out general duties related to the organization’s Site Management support activities. He / She will be responsible for the following Duties below:
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Coordination and Information Management :
1. Support field level SMS activities and SMS Clerks in the filed in data collection from service providers, authorities, site population, site leadership, host/neighbouring community and direct observation, and timely sharing of updates and recommendations to IOM SMS management in coordination with SMS Officer.
2. In close coordination with Woreda and site level authorities and service providers, especially Shelter, WASH and Health actors, contribute to SMS facilitation of coordination including through:
3. Supporting government focal points and co-chairing Woreda or Site Coordination Meetings in person bilaterally or electronically (if required by Covid-19 protocols).
4. Follow up with respective stakeholders to address gaps in implementation, esp. for COVID-19 mitigation, using meeting minutes, complaints and feedback received from the communities and stakeholders/service providers and/or service gap analysis tracking tools.
5. Ensuring consistent monitoring and managing information on needs of site population, dissemination of information, mapping all stakeholders (service mapping and contact lists), ensuring that gaps and duplications in the delivery of assistance and services are identified and responded to.
6. Leading the coordination of partners/service providers to support the government authorities for developing and implementing of inter-agency/inter-sectoral Site or Woreda-specific COVID-19 SOPs.
7. Ensure that proper establishment and/or strengthening of the complains and feedback mechanism and inter-cluster referral mechanism is in place for responding to the complaints and feedback received from the community and partners/service providers, including those related to COVID-19 and protection issues, as part of IOM SMS’s Community Feedback Mechanism (CFM).
Community Participation :
8. Ensure the establishment and/or restructuring site leadership and representative governance structures (site committees) thereby provide them with capacity building trainings on their Terms of Reference (ToR) and Code of Conduct (CoC), using IOM’s standard tools along with COVID-19 specific.
9. Provide necessary guidance and leadership to the SMS team on conducting Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) activities in community level, including by supporting community representative structures to conduct onward dissemination of COVID-19 messaging to the wider community and ensure that RCCE is applied properly to contain and/or mitigate the risk of pandemic.
10. Making sure meaningful participation of all genders and during assessment, distribution or awareness raising etc.
Site Improvements :
11. Support the SMS clerks in identifying and regular monitoring the condition of infrastructures (communal shelters, communal structures such as WASH facilities, kitchens, distribution points, etc.) in targeted sites and flag wherever humanitarian standards or needed upgrade, especially wherever these relate to COVID-19 IPC and to protection risks.
12. In the context of a pandemic and/or disease outbreak, make sure close collaboration between IOM’s SMS, Shelter, WASH, MHPSS and Health sub-units, as well as with external actors across all sectors, especially in the identification of high risk and inform the team leader and/or SMS officer for any support needed.
13. Make sure that the CFM data of the IDP site and/or returnee location are collected, organized, and shared with IM team on weekly basis, Kebele profiles data on monthly or as may be requested, prepare and send respective locations weekly updates by compiling from the field team.
Organizational Responsibilities :
14. Contribute to sub-office updates on emerging humanitarian issues and gaps relating to SMS and Emergency Post Crisis (EPC) areas of intervention.
15. Draft field mission plans in consultation with the SMS Team Leader and/or SMS Officer,
16. Support logistical needs of the SMS program staff, including communication, transportation, and distribution.
17. Monitor laborers at field sites and track material receipt, storage, and delivery at sites.
18. Support field level SMS activities and field team in coordination with SMS Field Officers
19. Assist in drafting monthly and weekly reports.
20. Support or participate in assessments either organized by IOM, cluster or OCHA.
21. Comply with UNDSS security protocol and internal IOM procedures.
22. Perform such other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
University degree in Social Sciences, Business Administration, or related field of study.
· 4 years of relevant professional experience or a combination of training and relevant working experience.
- Work experience related to disaster response and/or transition and recovery programs with humanitarian agencies.
- Practical experience and detailed knowledge of the disaster risk management, with emphasis on disaster response and recovery programs is essential.
- Thorough knowledge of data protection issues in emergency operation and utilization of Microsoft Office application including databases is required.
- Ability to adapt technical knowledge and expertise to specific project or activities; ability to work with colleagues from different cultural and professional backgrounds; flexibility to perform and deliver in difficult and rapidly changing situations is essential.
- English and Oromifa language skills required
- Knowledge of other local languages is advantageous
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity : respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency : maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism : demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork : develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results : produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge : continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability : takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication : encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership : provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust : creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision : works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address [email protected] , by 9th November 2020 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!