HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation Ethiopia is a registered charity operating in the working areas of Rural Infrastructure, Natural Resources Management, Support to Civil Society Organizations and Local Government, Skill Development and Education, and Emergency Responses. See also www.helvetas.org. HELVETAS Ethiopia is presently looking for motivated and competent professionals for the following 4 positions for a project entitled “UP-Women – Unleashing the Potential of Young Women” in Sidama regional state.
Position - Site Technical Coordinator
The UP Women project aims to contributing to bridging the gap young women/girls face to enter in strong career paths through improved opportunities for skills training through Integrated Functional Adult Literacy (IFAL) and short-term skills training in market demanded non-traditional skills and subsequently find (self-) employment with a decent income and in women-friendly training and working environments. This will be achieved through a combination of Integrated Functional Adult Literacy (IFAL), Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) knowledge, access and services, life skills and vocational skills training, and job placement (JP) schemes, that ultimately results in a gainful income, contribute to gender transformation and dignity for young women. The project would work both with public and private training providers with a results based financing (RBF) approach and would also contribute to developing their capacities.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The position holder oversees implementation of all project components and plays a facilitation role for the UP-Women project at city administration level to ensure the proper execution of the UP-WOMEN project and achieve concrete progress on the attainment of its goal and objectives, outcomes and outputs. The site Coordinator will facilitate community awareness raising sessions, selection/recruitment of girls and young women and linkage to IFAL and TVET centers and support subsequent (self) employment. S/he builds the capacities of girls and young women’s through formation of solidarity groups, linking to appropriate training and service centers and help them acquire relevant skills and education, social inclusion, and gender equity, provide information and communication sharing best practices. S/he also promotes gender transformation through awareness raising, engaging relevant actors including community leaders, role models, active participation of youth etc. The site Coordinator establish and maintains a close working relationship with stakeholders and the implementing partners (government, training providers and others). In particular, S/he work closely with City Administration Level Women, youth and children’s affairs, enterprise and jobs creation, TVET and education bureau /offices, private and public training providers, potential/employers and other stakeholder and ensure they have the necessary technical capacity in the area of Gender, Technical and Vocational short term skills Training and Employment to ensure project effectiveness.
Contract duration : For the project duration of the project (from February 2021 to December 2024)
Reporting : The position holder would be reporting to the senior project Manager
Duty base: this position is based in Yirgalem
Roles and Responsibilities:
Planning, awareness raising and targeting
- Facilitate the planning, coordination, and on-site execution of projects activities so that activities are carried out according to approved plans and that corrective actions are taken timely;
- Conduct awareness raising campaign for beneficiary registration of IFAL participants using different mechanisms; door-to-door promotion, women role models, community groups and/ or audio messaging, engaging family members.
- Facilitates targeting of disadvantage girls and young women based on the criteria developed jointly by stakeholders through full engagement of relevant stakeholders in targeting process.
- Identify role models; Young women, men, girls, and boys, who can serve as change agents in raise awareness, mobilize and sensitize youth as well as empower and support youth to engage in income generating activities in the project area.
- Identify the needs of girls and young women’s during the recruitment phase, help them to develop personal development plan and support to realize their plan
- Facilitate linkage with public and private sectors at local and various levels; building relationships with the community, youth and partners
- Ensures that all activities related to project are implemented with full participation of respective city level partners and the communities
Create linkage with TVETs, IFAL centers, SRH and establish youth solidarity groups
- Link selected girls/young women with TVETs/PTPS for skills training particularly in non-traditional skills to enable them to continue their journey to gainful employment.
- Follow up TVETs and private training providers to provide quality skill trainings particularly in non-traditional skills that are relevant to young women for gainful employment.
- Establish youth solidarity groups that serves as a plat form for undertaking dialogue on SRH, gender, information exchange, saving and lending; and gradually develop/grow into youth enterprise
- Follow up and support solidarity groups to conduct saving and provide credit to members, and subsequently form network / linkages and enterprises developed
- Follow up and support IFAL operations, TVET and PTPs training delivery through regular visits to center and training sites, collect feedback from trainees and trainers, monitoring and verification.
- Follow up and Support complementary soft skills training provision through partners including life skills, negotiation skills, and/or job skills
- Conduct gender-related awareness creation trainings for target young women in targeted kebeles, particularly on social norms, SRH behaviors, stigma and prejudice, life skills, in developing sexual behaviors,
- Promote and Support SRH service centers’ services particularly SRH programs for the young women to access in their locality
- Plan and organize community mobilization platforms and awareness creation events on Gender and SRH issues,
- Conduct employment verification for TVETs and PTPs and submit all paperwork in a timely fashion
- Provide mentorship and coaching to girls and young women’s in the course of developing enterprise
- Support and follow up with TVETs and PTPs on (self) employment linkage interventions with the private and public sectors, including internships and other approaches.
- Advise TVETs and PTPs on appropriate strategies for the employment linkages in project operational areas.
- Work closely with the private sector and other stakeholders to establish business relationships and understand their needs and priorities as well as opportunities for collaboration
- Foster relationships with IFAL centers, SRH centers and TVETs. This includes spending time at sites to meet with teachers/administrators, observe students in site setting, talk with administrators about the students' progress, and execute recruitment and retention strategies.
- Conduct site visit to SRH centers, TVETs and IFAL centers to check attendance rates, problems encountered by young women, venue of training, youth feelings
- Support self-employment efforts by girls and young women through business skills, entrepreneurship skills, inclusive finance services and ongoing coaching and mentoring
- Support youth groups to access relevant skills and services from respective actors including business licensing, production/market places, MFI services, business advisory etc
- Facilitate trainee exchange/ experience sharing visit through engaging successful women’s/role models, mentorship programs etc.
Monitoring, reporting, learning and Networking
- Develop and review activity plans with supervisor and colleagues, partners, and stakeholders
- Assist in preparing quality reports as required by donors and counterparts, by contributing progress reports, lessons learned, and case studies for youth livelihoods activities
- Collect and compile basic information on youth and youth solidarity groups and record youth’s progress.
- Facilitate the active participation and building of trust with communities and other stakeholders and work closely with TVETs, youth associations, private sectors, youth-focused government organizations, training institutes, etc. to identify opportunities for complementary support to project-supported youth
- Ensure that all activities related to youth training are implemented with full participation of respective partners, Women, Children and Youth Affairs Offices, job creation commission, TVET agency, education and health Bureau, and other stakeholders as applicable
- Organize reflection and learning forum for Youths, Partners, community, TVETs/PTPs and government to share best practices and success stories at city administration level.
- Responsible for collection of monthly progress data from youth saving groups and using the same data to update the project saving groups MIS.
- Ensure timely, quality and complete submission of activity plans and reports on monthly, quarterly and annual progress reports as well as any other reports.
Gender Equity and Diversity
- Make sure that all trainings and capacity building activities take into account the needs of female youth in terms of training topics, methodologies, timing, location, and other aspects, and all project activities are gender transformative.
- Ensure that gender considerations—and particularly female youth’s access to information, services, finance, and markets, as well as other aspects of women’s empowerment—are incorporated into all youth assessments and activities.
a) Desired Requirements:
- University Degree in Teaching, Agriculture, Economics, Sociology, Community development and adult education, rural development, business Education, Business studies, developmental psychology, economics, Social Science, Development studies, and related courses.
- At least four years’ experience working with coordinating and facilitating development intervention.
- Experience in TVET and youth employment.
- Strong experience in Business/Entrepreneurship interventions among urban youth populations.
- Prior experience in working with local youth organizations and businesses in the private sector.
- Willing to ride motorcycle and have motorbike license
c) Technical Skill
- Knowledge of local language ( Sidaamu Afoo)
- Strong youth development knowledge and experience
- Detail-oriented, ability to multi-task and manage time well
- Prior experience working with international NGOs and local Partners is preferred.
- Familiarity with TVET, Life skill training, Adult literacy program, SRH, gender
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by sending their application & updated CV through [email protected] or apply in-person to our office in Hawassa before/on July 16, 2021.
HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation Ethiopia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
Please make sure you write the position title you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to do so will lead to application disqualify.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.