Background: Founded in 2002 by President William J. Clinton and Ira Magaziner, the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives, reducing the burden of disease and strengthening integrated health systems in low and middle income countries. CHAI’s solution-oriented approach focuses on improving market dynamics for medicines and diagnostics; lowering prices for treatment; accelerating access to lifesaving technologies; and helping governments build the capacity required for delivering high-quality health services. CHAI does not operate stand-alone programs, nor does it build parallel health systems. Rather, CHAI works at the invitation and in support of governments.
CHAI Ethiopia is currently carrying out a wide range of programs to support the Ministry of Health in improving access to quality health services. As one of CHAI's largest field offices with more than 150 staff, the Ethiopia office operates programs across maternal, newborn and child health; HIV/AIDS; vaccines; Child Survival; Human resource for health; Laboratory Service, woreda transformation, cancer and health financing. The health financing program aims to transform how the health system is financed to substantially and sustainably increase access to services, beginning with essential services for those most in need.
CHAI has been supporting the Government of Ethiopia in designing and implementing various health financing initiatives over the past years and has been asked by the Government to provide more comprehensive support at federal and regional levels. The health financing program aims to transform how the health system is financed towards the government’s goal of achieving universal health coverage by 2030. To support the Federal Ministry of Health in the implementation of the health care financing strategy and build technical expertise and processes within the Ministry of Health for economic evaluation and financial analysis, CHAI is seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding technical capabilities to provide technical assistance to the Partnership and Cooperation Directorate (PCD) of the FMoH.
The Technical Advisor will support PCD through secondment to the Health Economics Technical and Financial Analysis Case Team. The Advisor will support FMOH and PCD leadership, and work with a range of partners and external experts, in order to conduct economic evaluation and other projects to inform decisions that will improve how resources are allocated and spent, and in turn efficiently, equitably and sustainably improve health outcomes. He/She will report to the Director of PCD at FMoH and/or Team Leader.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide technical support to the PCD Director and teams in policy formulation and strategy design towards successful finalization, dissemination and implementation of Health Care Financing Strategy (HCFS)
- Conduct policy oriented analysis to fill gap between evidence and policy making on health economics and financing issues such as health expenditure tracking / NHA, efficient utilization and allocation of resources, health care financing
- Conduct cost-effectiveness, cost-benefit, cost-utility analysis of interventions aimed at reducing the burden of disease based on the country priority setting in the health sector and inform “value for money” judgments about an intervention or program
- Centralize health economics evidence generation at the FMoH and strengthen overall capacity of the PCD in health economics and financial analysis. This includes providing day to day support to the team at PCD of the Ministry
- Follow the work on identifying areas that will support the implementation of the revised HCFS
- Monitor and share regular progress report on the implementation of the HCFS
- Develop monthly and annual work plan of HCF activities in line with the plan of FMoH and generate monthly, quarterly and annual reports for these activities
- Engage with stakeholders, coordinating and participating in HCFS implementation.
- Work with different directorates of Federal Ministry of Health and Regional Health Bureaus
- Adhere to Government of Ethiopia (Federal Ministry of Health) integrity and institutional standards and procedures.
· Other responsibilities as assigned by Director of Partnership and Cooperation and/or the Team Leader.
We work in a fast-paced, results-driven environment and this health insurance reform is a top priority for the government. We are seeking a highly motivated individual who is a fast learner and who is both detail oriented and has the ability to ask the key questions or see the “big picture.” We place great value on resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, flexibility, independence, energy, work ethic and humility.
Qualifications include the following:
- First degree in Economics, Statistics or MD, and Master’s degree in Statistics, Health Economics and Financial Management;
- Minimum of seven years of professional experience in demanding, results-oriented environments in the public sector and/or private sector;
- Demonstrated experience working within a complex organizational structure;
- Demonstrated experience in navigating political and strategic discussions objectively and diplomatically;
- Proven expertise and experience in structuring and analyzing quantitative financial models for informed decision making;
- Ability to autonomously and successfully translate large and complex data sets into reports, charts and tables to inform decision-making, and to communicate results to general and technical audiences alike;
- Ability to solve problems and influence colleagues and decision-makers towards developing solutions;
- Excellent organizational and problem – solving skills;
- Ability to multi task and to be effective in high – pressure situations;
- Ability to work independently on complex situations and solve challenges with little structural or operational support;
- Able to adapt to fast-paced and changing environments, both internally and externally;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships;
- Excellent business – oriented verbal, visual and written communication skills in English and Amharic;
- Strong analytical skills and technical proficiency with MS Excel and PowerPoint, statistical packages (Stata, SPSS and CSPro, etc.)
- Willingness to travel within Ethiopia.
How to Apply
[email protected] and/or www.ethiojobs.net