- Company: Technoserve
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Ethiopia
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. Founded in 1968, we are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. In East Africa, we operate in Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda. Across the region, we implement a range of market systems development interventions, agribusiness programs and entrepreneurship/economic empowerment projects. With more than 50 years of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
TechnoServe seeks to hire a versatile Technical lead and advisor to support the Ethiopia country office. Working closely with the Ethiopia Country Director and Deputy Country Director, the advisor’s responsibilities will be multifold in response to the priorities of the country office. The primary responsibility will be to manage the development of a roadmap to market-led strategy for the Government of Ethiopia’s Agricultural Transformation Agency. Other responsibilities will vary based on project priorities but will include strategic support for other ongoing projects and business development activities to grow the country’s project portfolio.
1. Lead the development of a Roadmap to Market-Led Strategy for the GoE’s Agricultural Transformation Agency
TechnoServe is partnering with the Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) to develop a roadmap to market-led strategy for horticulture Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) and Farmer Production Clusters (FPC) in Ethiopia. The ATA has prioritized five horticultural commodities across 17 geographic clusters in 4 regions. This includes avocado, mango, banana, onion, and tomato, each with their own target market channels and value chain challenges for domestic, regional, and global markets. The road to market strategy will guide relevant government actors to effectively support the commercialization of these geographically specific value chains and will be based on rigorous market analysis and data-driven insights. The roadmap to market-led strategy will assess geographically specific market opportunities, identify the business case for investing in horticultural ACCs/FPCs, recommend program interventions to address market system constraints, and develop a strategy to increase coordination and collaboration between government partners and the private sector. The Technical Advisor will be responsible for the mobilization and development of this consolidated strategy. In addition, the Technical Advisor will be the central point of contact between the donor, ATA, two subcontractors, and TechnoServe, which includes colleagues from the Ethiopia country office and our internal Strategic Initiatives and Gender teams based in the US
Duties & Responsibilities
· Mobilize and develop a strong project team, including in-country Ethiopia personnel and colleagues from TechnoServe’s Strategic Initiatives and Gender teams
· Manage engagements and maintain senior-level relationships with subcontractors and strategic partners, ensuring and overseeing the quality of their work
· Ensure deliverables are on schedule and all associated parties understand overall project goals to guide workplans and milestones
· Oversee all activities related to the development of the road to market strategy, including the gathering and synthesizing of local market insights, desktop research and analysis, data collection, and analytical frameworks to ensure rigorous technical insights and applicability for successful implementation by government counterparts
· Lead the aggregation and consolidation of work streams and insights for the final strategy, including the development of marketing strategies and recommended program interventions for prioritized horticultural clusters and products, business cases for investing into the horticulture ACCs to address market system constraints, and a coordinated strategy for clustered networks of government partners and multi-stakeholder consortiums to support the development of the ACCs
2. Provide strategic support for TechnoServe Ethiopia projects
TechnoServe Ethiopia has a current portfolio of 14 projects. The advisor will support the Deputy Country Director on a select number of projects on an as needed basis. Working with project teams, the advisor will advise on strategic issues and build capacity of local staff. The advisor’s international skillset will help staff and partners with the need for quick and dynamic analyses, while at the same time ensuring the smooth and continued implementation of activities.
Illustrative Duties & Responsibilities
Agribusiness Technical Support for the Participatory Small-Scale Irrigation Development Programme (PASIDP II)
· Build capacity of local staff to implement participatory market planning analytical framework and utilize associated tools
· Monitor project progress against project indicators and support quarterly planning and reporting requirements
· Advise on strategic recommendations for extension and Phase 2 scale-up considering progress to date, remaining challenges to implementation, etc.
Smallholder Solar Pump Alliance
· Act as the main point of contact with Alliance partners, troubleshooting and resolving issues to ensure activities continue smoothly
· Monitor project progress and ensure accurate and high-quality technical reports are developed and submitted to donors on time
Scaling Ethiopia’s Regenerative Export Sector with Out growers
· Support project mobilization for a new $3M, 4-year project funded by NORAD, developing project-related presentation materials and decks and refining the project design and implementation plan, in collaboration with our private sector partner
· Other specific strategic initiatives and priorities, as assigned by the CD and DCD
3. Support program development and business development activities
Leveraging TechnoServe’s experience and expertise in Ethiopia and globally, including market systems facilitation, green growth, and horticulture/high-margin agriculture, the Project Manager will support program design and proposal development to expand its country-wide portfolio.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Serve as a key technical person for high-margin / horticulture / irrigated agriculture projects to inform project design and results frameworks, drawing from existing working knowledge
· Liaise with ME&L and program management teams in development of learning agendas, documentation of lessons, success stories and case studies that can serve as input for PD efforts.
· Support technical design of new projects; review drafts of proposals and concept notes; lead the writing of technical proposals, as required, working with the East Africa program development team and broader TNS program development team
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Degree qualifications in business, economics or other relevant field of study required with 7 years of practical experience; Master’s degree preferred but not required with 5 years’ practical experience
· Prior experience engaging and building relationships with market actors in the Ethiopian agriculture/horticulture market system, including an understanding of the key constraints and opportunities to build inclusive, resilient, and sustainable smallholder farmer value chains
· Technical skills, knowledge, and prior experience partnering with the private sector through markets systems development approaches and managing multi-stakeholder relationships with public, private and nongovernmental counterparts
· Demonstrated strong analytic capabilities, financial modelling, and strategy development experience, as evidenced by previous experience carrying out similar activities successfully
· Excellent oral and written communication skills a must, including high-quality proposal writing, report writing and presentations, and partnership building skills
· Experience working in Ethiopia and knowledge of the country with the ability to travel domestically
· High fluency in business software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
· Fluency in written and spoken English
· Structured thinker with high attention to detail and an ability to structure and manage complex tasks, while at the same time, able to identify big-picture conclusions
· Reliable and independent self-starter, with a track record of delivering high quality products on time but at the same time a team player
· Resourceful, curious problem solver with a learning mindset with an ability to creatively solve problems and rapidly adjust to changing circumstances
· Strong interpersonal, people management, and cross-cultural skills with a high level of integrity
· Committed to TechnoServe’s mission and motivated to achieve impact at scale