All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards
- Ensure compliance with WASH strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards
- WASH specific technical responsibility for implementation of hygiene and sanitation activities
- WASH specific technical responsibility for tracking of financial expenditures for hygiene promotion activities
- WASH specific technical responsibility for the quality control and monitoring of project activities
- WASH specific technical responsibility for project documentation of technical activities of WASH project(s)
- Provide specific technical support and capacity building towards project staff
- Provide specific technical analysis and feedback to NRC representatives in coordination forums
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Plan and carry out needs assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies, and feedback findings to the stakeholders.
- Use participatory approaches as a far as possible throughout the programme cycle, in training, and in the use of tool kits and other materials.
- Ensure cross-cutting issues are incorporated into the WASH programming
- Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
- Supervise WASH activities in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
- Travel regularly to all the NRC implementation sites assessing adherence to set hygiene standards and M&E procedures.
- Assist the WASH PC in development of rapid response and contingency plans.
- Assess and advise on capacity building needs within the team to ensure effective developments of the quality standards for the WASH activities.
- Support the WASH PC in ensuring implementation of the complaints mechanism and ensure feedback is timely to the beneficiaries.
- Help identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
- Produce at least one case study per year of the best practices in WASH programming
Qualifications and Competences:
Generic professional competencies:
- Technical background in Public Health. First degree or postgraduate diploma in Environmental Health or similar relevant discipline.
- At least 3 years’ experience in similar position or related field.
- Experience from working as a WASH Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience in implementation of both software and hardware components of WASH activities
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Expertise in WASH programming and integration with nutrition and health sectors
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context in SNNP/Oromia regions
- Knowledge of the local language; Gedeo, Oromifa and Amharic
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
Behavioral & Personal Competencies:
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments