Vétérinaires Sans Frontières-Switzerland (VSF-Suisse), a member of the Agriconsulting Europe S.A. (AESA) led consortium, is looking for a short-term expert in zoonotic disease surveillance and control for the project EuropeAid/139583/IH/SER/ET "Technical Assistance (T.A.) to Support E.U. - Health of Ethiopian Animals for Rural Development (E.U.- HEARD). The Health of Ethiopian Animals for Rural Development (HEARD) is a 4-year EU-funded project which commenced in January 2019 and is managed by the Ministry of Agriculture, State Ministry of Livestock Resources.
HEARD Project activities are directly implemented by five grantees contracted by the National Authorising Officer: (i) the International Livestock Research Institute and Ethiopian Veterinary Association, (ii) the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) and (iii, iv and v) the Livestock Bureau/Agencies of Amhara, Oromia and Somali National Regional States (NRS). The overall project is monitored, coordinated, assisted, and advised by the MoA HEARD Project Coordination Unit (PCU) with support from a Technical Assistance Team (TAT) provided by Agriconsulting Europe S.A. (AESA) led consortium.
Scope of the work
Advice and assist the Directorate of Public Health of the MoA in confirming the list of priority zoonotic diseases and the known current status of each (distribution, animal and human incidence/prevalence, hosts, current prevention/control strategies and their effectiveness, etc.). Create greater awareness of zoonoses and prevention and control strategies and, as required, strengthen cooperation of the MoA with the One Health Platform via the National One Health Steering committee.
The Expert shall ensure that all recommendations are practical and that their implementation will be sustainable in the medium term.
The Expert shall work closely with counterpart staff in a consultative and participatory manner and ensure a holistic approach is taken to disease control and surveillance also, as possible, with the HEARD Disease Control and the HEARD Animal Disease Surveillance Experts.,
The Expert will be based at the Ministry of Agriculture in Addis Ababa and will be required to consult with the HEARD grantees and selected interventions, preferably by making field visits – but if (some of) these are not possible, then through virtual meetings.
· A degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or equivalent from a recognised University and a postgraduate degree in a VPH or Epidemiology
· Training on zoonoses, risk analysis, and zoonotic disease surveillance would be an advantage.
General professional experience:
· Minimum of 10 years of senior professional experience in national veterinary service. Experience and or knowledge of the animal health situation of the eastern Africa region will be an additional asset.
· Good knowledge of the English language;
· High level of skill in preparation of reports
· Excellent organisational, planning and communication skills;
· Working / collaborating with One Health platforms would also be an additional asset.
Specific professional experience:
· Proven experience in the design and/or establishment and/or management of national zoonotic disease control and surveillance systems,
· Experience in developing, organising and delivering focused training programmes.
· Knowledge and use of the OIE Terrestrial Animal Health Code (specifically Section 6) and the provisions of the Codex Alimentarius.
· Experience in food traceability systems.
How to Apply
Send your application by email with the position being applied for as the email subject to:
[email protected] Email subject line Zoonotic Disease Surveillance & Control Expert
We look forward to receiving your application before the 15 th of April 2022. Please add:
1. A motivation letter ( maximum 1 page ) stating why you are the right person for this position.
2. A recent CV of 4 pages maximum .
Contact details of three referees