Department : Appraisal Monitoring & Evaluation Unit (AMEU)
Hierarchy: AME Officer
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Location : Mekelle with travels within Tigray and Afar Region
Start Date: August 2021
Background on ACTED
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the AME Assistant Position in Mekelle, Ethiopia.
The Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant supports the AME Officer in developing and implementation of appropriate and viable appraisal, monitoring and evaluation systems that are in line with the ACTED’s global AME procedures.
- Support the implementation of solid AME systems and mechanisms that are in line with the global AME procedures and deliver effective research/outputs so to inform timely decision making and the adoption of sound corrective measures.
- Ensure lessons learnt and best practices are discoursed and documented.
- Contribute to the effective functioning of beneficiary complaints and response mechanism and enhance the trust and confidence of beneficiaries, identify areas of our work which need to be improved and ensure that ACTED learns from the feedback provided through this process.
Duties and Responsibilities
Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation Systems
Technical and Systems Development
- Support to the development and updating of the country AME strategy, the consolidated AME work plan and AME frameworks for all ongoing projects;
- Support the AME Officer to implement the AME policies and procedures as described in the ACTED AME standard guidelines and make sure that the tools are followed as applicable;
- Contribute to an effective roll-out of M&E collection and reporting systems to all staff and partners through training, site visits, manuals, and other technical support as needed.
AME Implementation and Management
- Support the development of ToRs and mission plans for assessments, monitoring and evaluations (baselines, mid-terms, endlines);
- Assist in the development of appropriate data collection and analysis instruments, methodologies (e.g. survey questionnaires, focus group discussions, key-informant interviews) and data/information dissemination/utilization plans;
- Assist with data collection activities and ensure that data collection teams are organized and resourced as needed, and that they deliver as per field mission plans and according to data quality standards;
- Maintain electronic and/or paper-based MIS systems for tracking and reporting all quantitative data and information including reporting on ACTED’s 16 global strategic program indicators;
- Assist in the analysis of AME data and help produce reports, factsheets with useful statistical analysis and presentation (charts, tables, histograms, box plots) as necessary in a timely manner;
- Document and share the lessons learnt and best practices on time and ensure that the knowledge gained contributes to the improvement of projects and influence the strategic development of future projects and activities;
- Support project implementation and improvement by providing timely information around project successes to be scaled up as well as challenges to allow ‘course correction’ throughout life of the program.
Beneficiary Complaints and Response Mechanism
- Managing of the CRM information desk activities, including collection, review and analysis of complaints, referral to responsible agencies with support of AME Officer, timely reporting of sensitive complaints and regular submission of all CRM data to the AMEO;
- Assist in creating ACTED SOP for Complaints Response Mechanism and ensure all complaints and feedbacks are documented during daily activities;
- Ensuring that the CRM mechanism integrates different ways of collecting complaints and feedbacks, not only through desk and or hotline, but also through formal and informal meetings with the community leaders, beneficiaries and non-beneficiaries; outreach activities etc.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members;
- Participate in AME-related conferences and workshops when possible and stay up to date with best practices and new knowledge created in the field of AME;
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by immediate supervisor.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in statistics, computer science or closely related to field
- Proficient understanding of AME, including the ability to work effectively with tight timelines, high quality standards, and demanding, potentially overlapping priorities.
- Experience of social research methods to conduct monitoring and evaluation for humanitarian and development initiatives/interventions.
- Excellent analytical skills in order to interpret qualitative and quantitative data and discern useful recommendations for programme implementation and development.
- Statistical analysis and IT skills, including use of SPSS and Excel for data analysis.
- At least 3 years of work experience in a similar field; former experience with humanitarian organizations is an asset.
- Good English communications skills (both oral and written).
- Strong team player of high integrity, pleasant personality, ability to work under least supervision and meet strict deadlines.
- Tigrinya language is a mandatory requirement
- High level of integrity, transparency and honesty.
- Knowledge of the location context will be an advantage.
How to Apply
Qualified national persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to [email protected] and received on or before 5.00PM on 29 th July 2021 with the subject line “AME Assistant – Mekelle”
Do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that ACTED reserves the right to shortlist on ongoing basis. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer