Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Chief of Party to play an important role in the implementation of the Ethiopia Migration Programme (EMP) to protect would-be migrants and refugees from unsafe irregular migration through and from Ethiopia.
About the job
The Chief of Party holds overall responsibility for the achievement of EMP’s intended results, ensuring that deliverables are submitted on time and to a high standard and that the programme is delivering against its intended objectives, and ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors. S/he will serve as the principal point of contact with FCDO, oversee the programme components, be responsible for risk management of the programme as well ensuring robust and meaningful programme learning and adaptation is embedded.
The Chief of Party will lead and manage a multi-disciplinary team comprising Danish Refugee Council (DRC) and subcontractor staff and will work closely with key DRC actors outside Ethiopia, including but not limited to DRC Headquarters in Copenhagen and multiple DRC regional offices. S/he will report to the DRC Country Director.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Responsible for the leadership, oversight and management of the delivery of expected results throughout the life of the programme, consistent with the contract objectives.
- Serve as the principal point of contact with FCDO, overseeing all formal and informal communications and providing timely updates on delivery, including risks and challenges.
- Responsible for the ongoing active risk management of the programme, ensuring there is a programme culture of risk management at all levels, that FCDO and DRC are kept informed and engaged on EMP’s risks and management strategy, and that there is embedded and iterative business continuity planning.
- Lead on project delivery, including strategic direction and performance management, component design and delivery, team management, and research and learning.
- Provide and maintain a single programmatic and technical approach, ensuring a strong shared vision of the programme within EMP, robust coordination mechanisms with DRC and subcontractors, and that the programme team teams have the needed programmatic and technical resources to plan, deliver and oversee quality programming and activities.
- Assume full responsibility over the programme team, with direct line management of the Deputy Chief of Party and three (3) component leads. Manage all team members and support respectful and positive working relationships which allow for the effective implementation of all activities.
- Oversee and manage the programme’s relationship with local government authorities and other stakeholders, including representing the programme in local, national, and international meetings and events as appropriate.
- Ensure robust, regular, and organised coordination between programme support services teams, DRC Country and Area offices and subcontractors.
- Ensure the EMP Safety and Security Plan is being fully implemented and reviewed/adapted as conditions demand.
- Collaborate with the DRC Senior Management Team to make decisions and manage security incidents at a local level.
To be successful in this role we expect the following:
- A Masters degree in a related field, such as international relations, migration, human rights, law, or social sciences;
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience working in international humanitarian and/or development aid, preferably with displaced populations, ideally with experience in a similar role (Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, Team Lead, Deputy Team Lead);
- Proven background in commercial contracts and contract management, experience with FCDO commercial contracts an advantage,
- Demonstrated experience in managing large multi-location programs in complex operating environments, preferably with experience managing multi-organization teams;
- Technical expertise and experience in migration, protection and/or livelihoods programming;
- Robust analytical and strategic planning skills;
- Strong experience in management of finance and budget monitoring, financial forecasting, and risk management;
- Demonstrable track record of meeting or exceeding program targets, whilst maintaining technical quality;
- Highly diplomatic with excellent political awareness and understanding;
- High-level communications and interpersonal skills;
- A demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donors, partners, local organizations, and other stakeholders; and
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Previous experience in the Horn of Africa or East Africa desirable with experience in Ethiopia preferred;
- Experience managing FCDO contracts
- Knowledge of Amharic or Somali an added advantage.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 11 months
Designation of Duty Station: Accompanied Family Duty Station
Start date: 01 May 2022