- ROLE PURPOSE:
The Program Manager is responsible for the planning, coordination and management of Gender equality program interventions in Somali region and ensuring that program activities are implemented to the highest quality standard. Her/she is responsible for the operational management, which includes results based monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance of child protection program under his/her supervision. Working closely with the Field Operation Manager and Sr. Program Manager, the program manager is responsible for the overall coordination and management of program implementation, assessments, monitoring and reporting of all gender equality project activities in Somali region. She/he will lead and coordinate project team to ensure that program activities are implemented timely to the highest quality standard. The program manager will provide progress updates on monthly, quarterly and annual basis. She/he is accountable for gender equality project budget management in Somali region.
The program manager will work on development of monitoring plan with the project MEAL manger, Senior program manager man and PDQ team and assess progress on quarterly basis. He/she will be responsible for conducting quarterly project quality assessment as per the project quality bench mark together with the MEAL team. He/she will provide project progress reports as per the donor requirement as well as whenever needed by the hub, country office or the donor, to keep the donor informed on implementation progress. She/he will also have supervisory role in the project management. He/she will ensure proper documentation of success stories and best practices for learning and wider dissemination. The program coordinator is expected to closely work with governmental and non governmental organization operating in Somali region including the regional Alliance to End FGM and Child Marriage, Population Media Center and project research partners. He/she will be responsible for representing the project, sharing regular updates and coordinating joint activities in Somali region.
- Overall implementation and management of all aspects of the project in Somali region as per the design to meet the intended objective, outcomes and outputs of the gender equality project. That includes providing overall technical, administrative, operational, and logistical management, with a focus on achieving the results
- Develop annual and periodic work plans aligned to intended objective, outcomes and outputs of the gender equality project and ensure timely implementation
- Oversees progress and coordination of the program’s child protection and livelihoods activities; and facilitate and ensure the involvement of women and girls as primary stakeholders in all project work
- Provide support to staffs to ensure smooth and timely start-up and implementation of project activities as per the approved project plans
- Work closely with Population Media Center and project research partner to insure implementation of radio programs and research activities.
- Coordinate, manage and motivate project staffs, ensuring that they have clear objectives/individual work plans as part of performance management and receive meaningful feedback on their performance.
- Ensure proper logistics, administration, human resources and transport needs of the program are conducted within Save the Children policy and with the maximum benefit to the program.
- Ensure adherence to overall technical and programmatic quality in implementation and the timely submission of all deliverables including annual work plans, performance monitoring plans, semi-annual reports and annual reports as required
- Actively communicate and coordinate with the Senior program manager (based in Addis Ababa), Population Media Center and Research partner to ensure coherence and integrated approaches across program activities
- Identify critical issues in the implementation of projects and take the necessary actions to address problems and constraints.
- Travel frequently to project implementation woredas to monitor program implementation and provide technical guidance
- Conducts quarterly quality monitoring together with the MEAL team
- Provide feedback and share lessons learned from project implementations
- Serve as the sub-budget holder for the project under responsibility
Program Quality and Effectiveness
- Coordinate and work closely with the Senior program manager, Research Partner, MEAL unit and technical specialists to ensure timely implementation of project activities
- Ensure proper documentation and sharing of success stories, lessons learnt and best practices
- Work closely with senior program manager and technical specialists to provide technical and managerial support in reviewing and adapting strategies and project plans in view of changes in the internal and external operational environment.
- Work with Senior program manager and ensure timely and quality delivery of capacity building activities and other technical support for program staff and other stakeholders
- Collaborate with field-based teams to ensure records and documentation related to the project are properly managed and compliant with organizational requirements and international best practices.
- Conduct regular project monitoring and review meetings with field based project staffs and local stakeholders
- Ensure that the project MEAL plan is timely developed and implemented
- Work with the MEAL unit to conduct quarterly quality bench mark assessment and take corrective measures in line with the recommendations of the assessment reports
- Work with the technical team and senior program manager to ensure proper understanding of cross-cutting issues among project staff (e.g., gender, child protection and safeguarding), and integration of same in the program implementation
- Develop and submit timely and quality written project progress reports on the program activities capturing impacts related to all activities as per donor and SCI requirements.
Budget Management/ Budget Holding Responsibility
- In collaboration with Senior program manager, award and finance staffs, prepare annual project budgets based on the project budget proposal and ensure compliance with donor requirements;
- Manage budgets, including phasing of budgets as per work plans, monthly review of spend reports, identification of errors and required re-classes
- Ensure effective and efficient utilization of project budget and other resources for intended purpose; follow up on budget utilization and project expenditure in Somali region
- Ensure that budget for the assigned projects accurately reflect anticipated costs of planned work at all times.
- Ensure that the annual project budget is properly phased for Somali region
- Ensure an integrated approach to program implementation in order to maximize resource utilization and synergy between the staff and different program.
- Exercise sound judgment to ensure project expenses are reasonable, allocable and prudent. Ensure all project funds are spent in accordance with donor rules and regulations.
Stakeholders’ and Partners’ management
- Closely work with stakeholder/partner organizations in the course of project planning and implementation
- Liaises with and creates conducive working relationship between SCI and stakeholders in targeted area
- Conduct regular monitoring visits, support stakeholders at the project sites and prepare reports for documentation and follow-up actions
- Closely work with stakeholders in the preparation of periodic and project completion reports
- Participate in relevant Save the Children’s in country and regional cross country working groups and learning initiatives linked to the program
- Build and maintain relationships with key external stakeholders including relevant Government Line Ministries and departments, local donor’s office, and other INGOs.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds him/herself accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
MINIMUM QUALFICATION, EXPEREINCE, COMPETENCIES
- Bachler degree or above in relevant Social Science field, such as law, social work, sociology, gender or economics from a recognized institution
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in international or local non-governmental and governmental organization, with significant experience in implementing gender equality, child protection and livelihood integrated programs in an international NGO, UN agency or relevant government ministry.
- Significant understanding of donor (Irish Aid) requirements and results agenda.
- Robust analytical and strategic planning skills, with a demonstrable track record of meeting or exceeding program targets, while maintaining a high-level of technical quality.
- Experience in working with government counterparts and other partners at various levels; excellent communications and interpersonal skills, including political awareness and understanding of local context, and demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with governments, donors, partners, local organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Experience in documenting and sharing lessons learned across a multi-location program, ensuring that knowledge is captured effectively to contribute to improved performance.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITY
- Excellent understanding of gender equality issues in Ethiopia at both field and policy levels.
- Practical understanding of the challenges and opportunities in realizing rights of women and girls in pastoralist communities in Ethiopia.
- Good understanding on negative gender norms such as FGM and child marriage
- Strong data collection, analysis and communication material/proposal/report writing skills.
- Proven advocacy and representation skills
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships and collaborations externally with stakeholders, and internally across functions, projects, and teams
- Understanding and experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Good presentation, training and facilitation skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to train and mentor staff
- Ability to work effectively in a complex, fast-paced, matrixed, and multi-cultural environment
- Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience in managing Irish Aid funded programs (as added value)
- Willingness to travel to remote field locations
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Excellent verbal and written proficiency in English
- Knowledge of the local language (as added value)
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse