The National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE), re-established by proclamation No. 1133/2011, is the constitutionally mandated body to conduct elections, organize referendum and regulate political parties in Ethiopia. NEBE is undergoing institutional reform to enhance its credibility and capacity and conduct free, impartial, and credible elections. Through the support of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), NEBE has contracted ABH Partners to provide human resource recruitment and management services.
Accordingly, ABH partners would like to invite applicants who meet the below requirements to apply for the position of Election Legal Affairs Manager .
Required number: One
Reports to: NEBE Management Board Member, HQ of NEBE
Duty station: NEBE Head Quarter, Addis Ababa
Duration: 12 months with a possibility of extension
Salary: Attractive (Non Civil Service scale)
Expected Start Date: Immediately after obtaining the contract
Reporting to NEBE Management Board Member , the Election Legal Affairs Manager will be responsible to planning, directing, coordinating, supervising, evaluating, and decision making on development of rules , regulations and guidelines that enables the NEBE to achieve its goals of organizing a fair, credible and transpire polls that meet the minimum international elections legal standards.
· Developing rules and regulations that help to implement election;
· Lead the coordination and preparation of NEBE legal documents such as directives, regulations, manuals that will be used by the NEBE to regulate the behaviors of electoral stakeholders such as political parties;
· Review and provide international comparative analysis to the NEBE Management Board various legal issues;
· Provide interpretations of published laws/directives and legal procedures in relations to elections;
· Provide leadership on NEBE’s public consultation meetings on legal issues to ensure transparency and inclusion;
· Help the NEBE Management Board to prepare to address legal related questions from the public;
· Manage translations of legal documents and learning materials into different NEBE languages;
· Design strategy to boost awareness of internal and external actors on election laws and related code of conducts;
· Manage the development of code of conduct for the board members and staff members;
· Formulate strategies to implement and oversee effective election dispute resolution systems at various levels, and provide robust support to the rolling out of these systems;
· Support the NEBE Management Board to manage and address elections disputes handled through the NEBE’s grievance hearing process at various levels; analyse and summarize the types of grievance and share with the NEBE Management Board;
· Oversee the NEBE’s response to elections dispute that go through the judiciary process;
· Lead the establishment and execution of an effective electoral case management system;
· Liaise with various relevant agencies to create a system that promotes accountability for individuals and groups committing electoral crime;
· Plan, guide, coordinate, oversee, and evaluate all tasks of the legal unit;
· Provide robust and consistent leadership to the legal department employees;
· Facilitate the necessary conditions to build the legal team’s capacity through creating relationship among other departments and stakeholders;
· Execute the necessary leadership and decisions making based on analysis of reports from the subordinates;
· Design strategy to boost awareness of internal and external actors on Follow up the execution of orientation regarding election laws and related code of conducts;
· Plan, guide, coordinate, oversee, and evaluate all tasks to be discharged under the supervision of the legal unit;
· Participates in higher level management meetings, discuss on issues that requires decisions, make decisions, and let others to decide;
· Implement other legal tasks assigned by the NEBE Management Board.
· LLB/ LLM holders;
· For LLM holders: at least 6 years of relevant experience of which 3 years on leadership position;
· For LLB holders: at least 8 years of relevant experience of which 4 years on leadership position;
· Experience in the development and delivery of guidelines, rules and regulations in an election context, or relevant and equivalent experience working with civil society organizations and implementing projects;
· Proven communication and presentation skills to large and varying audiences;
· Demonstrated ability to draft memos, analysis and manuals in Amharic;
· Experience working on research, analysis or content work in the law or related field;
· Ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
· Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality;
· Values operating in a collaborative and cooperative environment;
· Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness;
· Conduct self with integrity and conduct work ethically;
· The ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
· Not be a member of any political party.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants can submit their application letter along with an updated CV with three professional references, copies of education credentials and work experience via email to [email protected] by stating the position you are applying on the subject email. Application may also be submitted in person to our office located on Bole Road, behind DH Geda Tower Addis Ababa from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday to Friday and half day on Saturday.
Application Deadline: February 02, 2021
For more information and detailed Job description, please visit our job portal at http://www.abhpartners.com/vacancy-announcement-list or http://www.ethiojobs.com
Qualified candidates who fulfil the criteria will be hired only following the approval and endorsement by NEBE.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.