NORCAP is the Norwegian Refugee Council’s expert deployment mechanism. NORCAP strengthens international and local partners’ capacity to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crisis by deploying highly qualified women and men from its world leading standby rosters. The deployed experts work with UN agencies, humanitarian organizations, development actors and national stakeholders to save lives, build resilient communities, ensure peaceful transitions from conflict and promote sustainable governance.
NORDEM is NORCAP’s programme on human rights, democracy and peace.
We support international organisations and operations that work in the field of human rights, democratisation and peace with qualified personnel. In addition, we offer advice, support the transfer of experience and contribute to research. Our expertise covers such fields as good governance, democratic institutions, independence of the judiciary, judicial and legal reform, human rights, election observation and election assistance.
African Union . Since 2013 NORCAP has worked in partnership with the African Union Commission Peace and Security Department (PSD) to meet their growing demand for qualified and specialized civilian experts. NORCAP have supported peace and security initiatives specifically in the area of peace support operations, conflict prevention, and post-conflict reconstruction and development. Based on the AUC need of continued expertise support NORCAP is expanding the support within and beyond PSD, to also include governance and development. NORCAP and the AUC work together in choosing deployments that will further the work of the AU towards Agenda 2063.
This position is for applicants with citizenship from member states of AU only.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Constitutionalism and Rule of Law Unit, the Political Officer will contribute to the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Constitutionalism and Rule of Law activities.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
The Expert will technically support:
- AU efforts toward constitutional assistance programs in Africa especially in countries in transition and countries undergoing constitutional amendments.
- AU efforts toward the mainstreaming of Rule of law principles in Africa.
- The development, validation and implementation of the amended AU Early Warning Response Mechanism.
- The development, validation and implementation of the AU guidelines on Constitutional amendments.
- The conduct of capacity building sessions for Rule of Law stakeholders in Africa.
- The development, validation and implementation of the AU strategy on the inclusion and the mainstreaming of the African Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance.
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned by the direct supervisor.
Educational Qualifications and Work Experience
- A Master’s university Degree in Peace & Security Studies, International Studies, Political Science, Public Policy, Law, Public Administration, or other related disciplines with at least 5 years relevant experience.
- A Bachelor degree in the above-mentioned fields with at least 7 years relevant experience will be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Additional trainings or certification in the field of constitutionalism and Constitution amendment would be an added advantage;
- Experience with international organizations operating in the area of democracy and good governance would be desirable.
Skills and Competencies
- Conversant with the AU Early warning response mechanisms and the AU shared values
- Strong ability to work closely with a multiplicity of AU Organs and Member States across various levels.
- Good understanding of key trends in international relations.
- Proven ability to solve complex project issues through analysis, definition and a clear way forward.
- Strong ability to work in a team setup
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to set priorities successfully, and work with other professionals to achieve goals within tight deadlines
- Ability to work and deliver high quality outcome in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and pressure to perform.
- Good computer application skills (MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-PowerPoint and other office
Candidate must be Proficient in English. Proficiency in one or more other working language(s) of the AU will be an advantage.
We can offer
Contract duration of 24 months with possibility of extension
Women candidatures are strongly encouraged.
Kindly submit your CV and application in English and include your full name as written in your passport.
To be taken into consideration it is required that you build a CV in our recruitment system by completing your personal information, education, professional work history, language skills, and other relevant sections in the fields available.