Field Programme Assistant (DTM- Flow Monitoring)
Jigjiga, Bahirdar and Moyale, Ethiopia
Type of Appointment
SVN, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
24.04.2020 – 08.05.2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
General functions :
Under the direct supervision of the national Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Mobility Tracking Officer and the overall supervision of the DTM Programme Officer in Addis Ababa in coordination with the Head of Sub-Office, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for supporting a field enumerators data collection for DTM Flow Monitoring Survey and Flow Monitoring Registry data collection and providing guidance, training, support and evaluation to field enumerators, communicating on and arranging field level logistics for data collection and liaising with the DTM team in Addis to regularly update on data collection, findings, access issues etc. In particular, he/she will be responsible for the following:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the implementation of displacement tracking matrix (DTM) Flow Monitoring (FM) tools, ensure regular monitoring as per agreed timelines, prepare project status and progress reports;
- Participate in field assessments to gather timely information about displacement, population mobility, movement flows, and any other source of data required;
- Lend ad-hoc short terms support to other sub-offices on a needs-basis and in agreement with the DTM team in Addis;
- Coordinate data collection with local partners to ensure harmonized action at the field level;
- Verify the quality of data collected and take corrective measures as required; ensure quality control and consistency of the information being collected;
- In coordination and under overall guidance of DTM team in Addis, develop work plans and activity schedules for data collection, processing and analysis for all areas of agreed upon coverage for each round of the data collection;
- Provide extensive feedback on lessons learned, challenges and recommendations after each round of data collection to ensure that evolving field realities are accounted for in each round of data collection;
- Participate in capacity building sessions both for enumerators and government counterparts to ensure harmonized comprehension of data collection methodology, data collection software (Kobo), questionnaire vocabulary, and data protection standards;
- Liaise with regional authorities to regularly inform on activities and results;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA) in Social Sciences, Information Management, International Relations or related fields from an accredited academic institution
- Five years of relevant professional experience by working in field level data collection, research, community-based response approaches etc.
- Experience working at the community and individual level in rural and remote areas of Ethiopia;
- Experience in INGO/NGOs & International organizations is an asset;
- High level of computer literacy is required
- Ability to transfer knowledge and skills on data collection, processing and analysis;
- Knowledge of Open Data Kit (ODK) technology;
- Knowledge of Geographic Positioning System (GPS) tools;
- Knowledge of Open Data Kit (ODK) technology;
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Report writing and very good representational skills
- Fluency in English and Amharic
- Knowledge of local languages i.e Somali, Oromifa is strongly preferred.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies;
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity : respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency : maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism : demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork : develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results : produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge : continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication : encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address [email protected] , by May 8 th , 2020 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!