Established in 1991, the Ethiopian Human Rights Council (EHRCO) is the first non-governmental human rights organization working on the promotion and protection of human rights in Ethiopia. EHRCO is free from the influence of political parties, religious institutions, tribal groups, and social classes. It stands for democracy, the rule of law and the respect of human rights. In accordance with “The Civil Society Organizations Proclamation No 1113/2019”, EHRCO was re-registered as an independent and non-profit human rights institution.
The Gender and Human Rights Officer will provide technical assistance and capacity building on gender and human rights to the head office and branch offices. The position holder will provide technical support on the issues of gender mainstreaming and gender equity. He/she will make sure gender mainstreaming is integrated into all the organization's activities and projects
- Develop a gender mainstreaming strategy and guidelines for the organization and projects;
- Develop a monitoring tool for gender mainstreaming in all the organization activities, including indicators for assessing progress with gender mainstreaming;
- Improve the mainstreaming of gender in the organization’s activities and management tools, including tracking of gender equality results and gender-sensitive analysis of data collected;
- Provide advice on appropriate gender sensitive indicators in performance measurement framework and support colleagues in monitoring and reporting of program results;
- Monitor and report on the implementation of the gender action plan;
- Advice and support EHRCO’s management on gender issues;
- Organize/Conduct capacity building training for staffs and stakeholders in gender equality, gender analysis, gender mainstreaming, gender sensitive facilitation skills and relatable issues;
- Provide gender equality technical support to projects including the systematic application of practical gender analysis and mainstreaming tools to integrate and promote gender equality in projects;
- Contribute to advocacy on rights-based issues within EHRCO program areas and in close cooperation with EHRCO´s Communication and Advocacy Unit;
- Perform other tasks within the field of competency as assigned by the supervisor.
Required Skill and Experience
- First Degree or above Gender, women’s studies, social sciences, law, or other related fields.
Experience & Competence
- A minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in development, focused on providing policy advice, technical assistance and/or programming around gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights issues;
- Substantive experience in gender equality and women's empowerment at policy and programming level;
- Experience writing analytical documents and reports;
- Experience in coordination and advocacy;
- Familiarity with rights based approach, gender mainstreaming, results-based management, conducting case studies and minor research;
- Experience in gender and women's human rights is required;
- Experience working on gender-based violence is highly desirable;
- Experience conducting research, human rights monitoring, developing programs and providing analytical advice and inputs in human rights reports is desirable.
- User-knowledge in computer packages e.g. MS Office
How to Apply
If you would like to apply EHRCO’s team, please send your CV and application letter with contact details of three work-related references through [email protected] within 5 working days from the date of this announcement