The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) wants to recruit employees in the following vacant positions the details of which are mentioned bellow.
About the Ethiopian Red Cross Society
The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) was established in 1935 and is one of the oldest and largest humanitarian organizations in Ethiopia. ERCS provides services to communities affected by natural and manmade disasters through the provision of emergency responses, ambulance and first aid, family reunification, essential drugs, water and sanitation, and other humanitarian services. ERCS also runs disaster risk reduction programs with the aim of creating resilience households and communities. Currently the ERCS has a structure consisting of 11 Regional Offices, 33 Zonal Branches and 112 District/Woreda Branches and 3673 grass root committees/Kebele Red Cross Committees.
Key Performance Areas
- Provide technical leadership for the data projects, Inventory of existing NS data needs and data availability, Identifying data gaps of priority to the NS ,Map data availability and needs with stakeholders ,Build relationships with data providers / stakeholders
- Improve the INFORM indicator framework and make it country specific for the Forecast based Financing system.
- The risk dashboard / mapping is discussed with the national society leadership to make decisions on the priority areas for the Forecast based Financing system.
- Support FbF teams, in cooperation with the climate centre, in identifying reliable forecasts, setting thresholds for danger level using GIS and other innovative approaches ,in setting up systems for monitoring forecast platforms and disseminate warnings, in planning for and conducting mapping exercises of FbF target areas, in using digital solutions for beneficiary lists and distributions, in developing innovative approach to SOPs and Validate Hazard Impact Curve with technical experts nationally and internationally.
- Assess current state of IT with ERCS, Implement IT improvement plan in prioritized branches, Organise and conduct workshops on data literacy with ECS staff, government and humanitarian partners, Implement basic geo-information analysis (GIS) capacity, Train volunteers and staff in mobile data collection, Integrate data analysis and visualization in NS disaster management operations, Co-develop a strategy for how to set up a data team within URCS and identify priorities.
- Support with growing the team, by linking to universities and by attracting volunteers, Support with setting up tools and systems that allow the data team in URCS to collaborate digitally
- Review the data responsibility policy with the data team, and set up the basic processes to protect data and Provide technical assistance for Canada RC supported EOC (Emergency Operation Center) establishment
- Contribute to documentation and reporting, Promote team achievements, both internally and externally, by conducting regular monitoring visits and share reports with the IARP project and by co-writing blog posts or newsletters, publishing on social media and reaching out to our partners in person, Support with writing proposals for donors or other parties who wish to collaborate with NS and working in collaboration with reporting officer (analyzing data obtained from reporting officer)
Terms of employment: One year contract with possibility of extension
- MA/BA, degree in geographical information systems (GIS) or related fields and Min. 4 /8 years professional experience in GIS and data analysis.
- Willing to give voluntary service to the society with his/her own initiative.
- Experience in bridging the gap between end users in an organization and a team of technical experts from different disciplines.
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor.
- Skilled in GIS software such as QGIS, databases such as PostgreSQL.
- Skilled in data collection toolkits such as Open Data Kit and able to train others in the use.
- Experienced with editing in Open Street Map through JOSM and ID-editor.
- In-depth experience and skills in mobile Apps, SPSSS and other statistical tools for data collection and analysis.
- Excellent command of English (oral and written)
How to Apply
Interested applicants are required to fill the employment application form the official website of the Ethiopian Red Cross Society in vacancy menu http://www.redcrosseth.org/get-involved/vacancy and email before the closing date of / July 20, 2019/ this announcement to email@example.com
Qualified women are strongly recommended to apply!
Please note that we ONLY consider those who filled in the application form and send us back. We regret to inform that we do not accept CV at this stage.