Monitoring and Evaluation
· With the guidance of the South West MEAL Manager, undertake responsibilities for the development and implementation of project MEAL system and functions as per the MEAL guideline.
· Participate in the development//adaptation of Quality Benchmarks, undertake periodical monitoring of quality (benchmarks) and ensure they are part of quality monitoring practices including joint monitoring, review meetings, post distribution monitoring etc.
· Design and ensure implementation of standardized monitoring tools and methodologies as required by the donor and SCI standards (output tracker, action plan tracker, monitoring QBs etc)
· In collaboration with project team consistently track and document the status of out-of-school children (OOSC) enrolment, retention and dropout.
· Prepare and submit the regular MEAL (M&E) reports for South West MEAL Manager and education program specialist.
· Support EAC project team in the management and implementation of field-level M&E data collection activities.
· Participate in the development and manage EAC project database systems for regular data tracking.
· Carry out data collection where it is an M&E responsibility in MEAL and DIP plans
· Ensure that M&E systems are being implemented at the field level and communicate any issues or inefficiencies that raise to the Field Operations Manager and MEAL units in a timely and proactive manner
· Support training for external enumerators or partner staffs that conduct baseline, midterm and end line surveys (including ethics and safety, sampling and respondent selection, device use, as well as survey consents)
· Support EAC project staffs in accessing and utilizing monitoring data
· Develop/adapt and use standard monitoring tools
· Facilitate and support joint monitoring with stakeholders at district, camp and school levels.
Data Quality Assurance
· Define the project’s data quality standards and identifying and resolving data quality issues proactively as well as reactively;
· Monitor the quality of the data (completeness, integrity, reliability, timeliness, etc.) coming from schools/field based project officers, analyze and visualize the data applying different data analysis and data visualization applications;
· Support project staff to collect good quality monitoring data in a timely manner and collect / organize data and share with the Field Office and Country Office.
Data Entry and documentation:
§ Review, compile, sort and organize data to be entered into the EAC/education project databases or electronic files.
§ Check all data accurately and in a timely manner per the direction from South West Hub MEAL Manager
§ Ensure that data entered on daily basis or immediately as received.
§ Pay attention to details and review data correctly and consistently.
§ Cross check and verify data keyed into the EAC OOSC project databases for accuracy.
§ Maintain complete, viable, accurate and up-to-date data for EAC project
§ Generate reports from database for narrative report preparation
§ Set a system to ensure/maintain the confidentiality of data collected and stored
§ Ensure proper documentation of reports
Digital Data Gathering
· Organize and properly maintain database and information related to the EAC project activities.
· Timely conduct regular data collection and semiannual assessment for online donor monitoring system.
· Administer the online data entry and monitoring for EAC project in consultation with project team, senior education and MEAL technical staff.
· Ensure the accountability that communities and children know their rights and entitlements have access to project information and participate in decisions that affect them.
· Ensure communities and children have access to safe and responsive mechanisms to handle their complaints and feedbacks.
· Make sure that appropriate CRM mechanisms are put in place and complaints are handled as per SCI accountability standard and guidelines.
· Promote beneficiary participation at all points of programming, especially during needs assessments, post distribution monitoring and design of accountability systems and activities.
· Provide technical guidance and support to programme staff, including training and orientation on accountability mechanism.
· Ensure that beneficiary feedback and complaints response mechanism is operational, available and understood by project staffs and beneficiaries in all EAC implementation sites.
· Organize standard after action review including learning and reflection events, stakeholder consultation and proved feedback to program management team.
Learning and Knowledge Management
· In close collaboration with EAC project team facilitate in generating, storing and sharing knowledge (most significant change story, research/evaluation summary reports, etc).
· Ensure utilization of learning and knowledge generated (including MEAL evidences) in decision-making and programme improvement (maintain up to date project action tracker and monitor the utilization and application).
· Support programmes in the identification of learning objectives and evidence gaps.
· Document lessons learnt and best practice on accountability for the programme across sites and produce case studies and human-interest stories as relevant.
· Carryout documentation and sharing of project impact and learnings
· Actively promote sharing of learning from baseline, end lines, reviews and evaluations internally and externally
Technical Support and Capacity Building
· Undertake continuous staff capacity assessment and develop capacity building plans and provide trainings and capacity building for EAC project field based staffs (MEAL and program staffs) on MEAL as required
· Ensure project staffs are using up-to-date MEAL system and when require work with the team strengthen the MEAL system through close support and collaboration with program mangers/coordinators and other program staff
· Perform any other activities based on Field Operations Manager, South West Hub MEAL Manager assignments and request of others as deemed necessary.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
Honest, encourages openness and transparency
MINIMUM QUALFICATION, EXPEREINCE, COMPETENCIES :
§ Minimum BED,BA/B.Sc Degree in relevant field in Statistics, M&E, economics, measurement and evaluation, development studies, education and other related fields
§ At least 5 years of working experience on M & E position with NGOs especially in development and emergency education projects
§ Experience in humanitarian programming, development programming and refugee context is an advantage
§ Demonstrated experience in monitoring and evaluation similar education projects is an added advantage.
§ Clear understanding and experience in directly implementing primary quantitative data collection (surveys, etc.)
§ Willingness to live and travel in a hardship area
§ Team working and ability to work under pressure.
§ Computer skills (Microsoft word and excel), knowledge and experiences in other application such SPSS is an advantage
§ Good communication skills – in English, Amharic and local languages.
§ Good organisation and attention to detail
§ Strong data collection, consolidation, analysis, interpretation and report writing skills