Oxfam is a global movement of people who won’t live with the injustice of poverty. Together we save and rebuild lives in disasters. We help people build better lives for themselves. We speak out on the big issues that keep people poor, like inequality, discrimination against women, and climate change. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can live without poverty.
Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation Oxfam .
Our values and commitment to safeguarding.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults, and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organization.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme . In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
The Programme Quality Team (PQT) will be accountable for ensuring that program design, management, monitoring, review, evaluation, and reporting processes meet Oxfam Minimum Standards for Programming and CAMSA guidelines. The team will include monitoring and evaluation and ensure compliance with all external and internal (to Oxfam) quality and contractual obligations of Oxfam in Ethiopia may have. PQT will occasionally constitute an Internal Audit Team to assess and rate country compliance with internal standards, systems, and procedures.
The MEAL Officer is responsible for the implementation of monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning (MEAL) tools for t Oxfam program/projects. This includes conducting, managing, and documenting key discrete MEAL milestones, events and processes, MEAL internal and external reporting, and knowledge management between departments and partner affiliates to ensure Oxfam benefits from applied programme learning.
Jigjiga, Fafan Zone, Somali.
According to Oxfam benefit Package
Hours of work:
37.5 hours per week. This is a full-time role; however, Oxfam offers various flexible arrangements which candidates can discuss with the Recruiting Manager at the interview stage
This role reports to:
Staff reporting to this post:
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
· Support the development of a programme Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) framework with indicators for output, outcome and impact.
· Undertake periodic monitoring and technical support visits to project intervention areas to assess progress against the agreed MEAL system and recommend corrective actions as appropriate
· Support program team to collect good quality monitoring data in a timely manner and collate/organize data received for reporting to the programme office/country office.
· With the support of the programme quality advisor at the country level, Organise relevant training and other capacity-building events for staffs and partners to carry out MEAL
· Provide technical guidance to project teams including partners with planning the design and implementation of baseline/midline and other data requirements to support programme analysis, the development and use of monitoring tools and instruments (e.g., objective/target setting, monitoring formats, etc.), as well reporting of programme progress
· Compiling and preparing monthly, quarterly and other need based programme / project progress reports.
· Conduct accountability activities, including the development and use of information materials and the establishment of complaints response mechanism with support from program quality advisor
· Logging complaints received on a daily basis, sharing the complaints log with the project coordinator on a monthly basis and processing complaints in a professional and timely manner according to the established system, ensuring that complaints are logged and addressed and that serious complaints relating to abuse, exploitation and corruption and referred appropriately.
· support in the facilitation of learning between the different programmes and contribute to the refinement of Somali region program strategy/action plan as well as the Country Strategic Plan
· In case scale up any emergency response, undertake additional responsibilities related to respective functions
· Ensure priority areas such as gender equality, safeguarding and protection mainstreaming approaches well integrated into all Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Mechanisms
1. Strengthen relevant MEAL capacity in partners
· Ensure effective common understanding between Oxfam and partners on MEAL objectives and frameworks and organise orientation/workshops/training
· Assist project leads / responsible persons and partners in identifying relevant areas in partner MEAL systems that need strengthening and aligning to the requirements of the individual programme and overall Oxfam MEAL objectives and requirements
· Organize Peer Learning meeting to share programme strategies and best practices including youth participation
2. Reporting, sharing and communications
· Ensure that literature reviews, secondary data analysis and synthesis for papers proposals and representations are and disseminated as appropriate
· Work closely with the Media team to collect positive impact stories and photos from projects and prepare them to be used for shared learning
· Actively involve and support projects’ design
· Assist project teams in the development of the theory of change and logic models for new proposals
· Ensure that new projects have MEAL plans and allocation with adequate financial resource
3. Oxfam Specific membership responsibilities
· Actively participate in the implementation of Performance Management including objective setting, performance review, upward feedback and personal development plans and ensuring relevant aspects of Oxfam work in Ethiopia e.g. gender equity is reflected in objectives
· Be a member of Oxfam team; participating in appropriate staff meetings, planning sessions and on-going liaison as needed and work closely with Oxfam in Ethiopia.
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
· Relevant qualification; Bsc. in Economics, Development studies, Statistics/Management or another related fields
· Relevant MEAL experience of 3-5 years (i.e. designing and implementing MEAL systems) preferably in an international NGO experience
· Strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills; able to understand complex issues and translate them into simple, workable actions and plans
· Conduct EFSVL/WASH activities PDM data collection and analysis independently
· Support program/project base baseline study and evaluation process with external consultant or government team lead M&E
· Good critical thinking and clear understanding about monitoring frameworks, tools and indicator setting
· Good experience in evidence-based monitoring and evaluation frameworks and programmes, with emphasis on participatory and partnership-based MEAL approaches
· Strong knowledge of IT applications and development – especially spread-sheets, database, and familiarity with associated web-based platforms and applications
· Familiarity with project cycle management, with special emphasis on the monitoring and evaluation and learning
· Experience in organisation, conduct and management of various capacity-building/skills transfer events and process
· Good knowledge and proven experience in resilience building projects
· Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal in English including Somali local language
· Good report-writing skills to compile with Oxfam standards and donors’ requirements
· Organised and able to manage own time under guidance and direction from line-manager
· Strong interpersonal and self-awareness skills
· Flexibility in terms of travel and working hours.
· Willingness to travel including medium/high risk areas
· Well-developed conceptual, critical, analytical thinking and planning skills.
· Demonstrated ability to take Initiative, drive to achieve results, ability to develop effective organizations.
· Ability to work effectively with others, adaptable and flexible.
· Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work sensitively with people from various cultural and social backgrounds.
· Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and beliefs, including strong commitment to gender, diversity issues, equal opportunities and capacity building
· Research background and knowledge of statistical packages (SPSS or STATA)
· Proven ability to synthesize and distil information from a variety of sources, to draw lessons from project documentation and to summarize complex information accurately and concisely;
· Able to work independently
· Familiarity with Oxfam’s approaches and/or systems for programme quality implementation such as CAMSA
· Knowledge on donor contract management and compliance issues
How to Apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile through www.ethiojobs.net or using Oxfam internal application portal https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/ or https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/13106/description on or before 26 th October 2020.
Your application will be shortlisted based on your CV and your responses to the above questions. You need not comment on your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.